1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

grass eating

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CRG, Jul 8, 2004.

1. CRG

CRG Top Dog

in the last couple weeks my dog has started eating grass like a cow. have never had a poblem wth this before. changed his food 2 months ago could this be causing it. it just started out of the blue. any body ever had this happen? any suggestions or reason why. thanks

2. gator

gator Big Dog

I have heard people say they do it because of worms but dont believe it myself. I think they are trying to get the moisture out of the grass and that could be wrong also.?

3. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

Your dog may have something upsetting his stomach, Since Grass does not digest properly in dogs. Could be the food.

4. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

I've also heard that sometimes dogs do that to clean out there system.

5. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

That's what I always thought too.

6. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

Most guys I know around here always say they eat grass when they are missing something from there diet. I'm not sure though because I've never had any of my dogs eat grass before, atleast I havent seen them do it anyway.

7. One thing you need to look at when choosing a dog food. is the ingredients. I used to feed mine ole roy from walmart because it was cheap. it is junk food.
    you need to use a food that starts out with beef pork or chicken as the first ingredient. make sure there is the 6 fatty acids in it also. this makes them have a healthy coat. if you feed the dog a high quality dog food it will also regulate the ph in the stools (make the smell go down) plus the stools will not be runny or hard but a consistency slightly more moist than sand. it will break down in the yard a whole lot better.
    when a person first approaches a dog yard, you should not smell urine or feces right off the bat, if you do, the dog's owner isn't doing his job. he is feeding his dogs either table scraps or poor quality food.

when a dog eats grass, sometimes the pollen in the air has something to do with it, sometimes it cleanses their system. the only real way to find out if a dog has worms is to look in a stool sample.

8. Pam

Pam Pup

Ive heard that dogs eat grass because they have an upset stomach...but, ive also heard they eat it because they are lacking certain vitamins and stuff like that. My dog does it sometimes..she doesnt graze like a cow or anything but she does eat grass occasionally...but then again so does my cat. Maybe you should ask a vet or look something up on the net.

9. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

I read somewhere that cats are actually supposed to eat grass. Dont remember why tho...thats why some cat people plant catnip in the house.

10. Pam

Pam Pup

Heres is some info about eating grass I hope it helps.....Dogs commonly eat grass, and there are several explanations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild canids (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet.

Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.

The third reason - they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. We know a beagle who can pick raspberries faster than his owner.

In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively.

11. CRG

CRG Top Dog

thanks everyone