1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BONEDADDYKNLS, Sep 8, 2004.

1. I often read or am asked about puppy nutrition. Well here's my 2 cents. First thing you need to do is feed a puppy PUPPY FOOD! If you are having problems with the pup gaining weight or even eating the food, add some powdered goat's milk (calf manna, or whatever you have in your area). I will also add a small amount of flax seed oil in the food for the Omega 3/6 fats. If your puppy is very active, feed it small meals about 4 or 5 times a day. I don't free feed because we have fire ants like crazy here. The problem I see with people feeding pups is that they don't consider the nutritional needs of a puppy. Imagine giving a very young Human baby the hamburgers and BS that we sometimes eat. Do you actually think that this stuff has the required nutrients that the baby needs? I rarely use the stuff that is on the market (powders/liquids) on pups because a good puppy food will give them what they need. I heard a saying once that said "garbage in/garbage out". I took it to heart and try to feed all of my dogs the best food I can. Hopefully someone else has opinions in this area. Also, I feed my pregnant/nursing bitches puppy food to account for the strain on their nutrition during these times. Hope this helps someone.