1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

when is it most healthy for her to breed?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by blondie03044, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Nah, it was ABK that posted, I included that when I posted the pic. And I wasn't posting ownership on anyone here, especially for people I don't know. Just not my thing....;)

2. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

blondie - It is obvious my dear that you have much to learn. This is nothing to be ashamed of, we all have to start somewhere. But please take the advice given you here - it is good, sound advice.

PLEASE do not breed Karma to that RE mutt. And please wait until you get Karma's ped back before you do anything to find out what Watchdog strain she comes from. There are some WD strains that are very unsound.

Also, as a side note, I used to own WD bred dogs. Some folks call them AmStaffs b/c they were almost all bred just as show dogs. But in all actuality they are AmStaff x APBT mixes.

(Some folks consider ASTs & APBTs different breeds. Others consider them different strains of the SAME breed. But that is a whole different conversation!)

The founder of the WD line is a man named Casey Couturier. He was a UKC show judge. His original foundation dog was a show dog dog named Blue Max II. Max was about 3/4ths Ruffian AmStaff with a 1/4th out to Bolio blood.

Casey then bred Max back another AKC based UKC show dog who was herself half Ruffian AmStaff & half Tudor to produce the foundation of the WD line, GR.CH. Blue Bully.

Here is Bully's pedigree. You can plainly see the AKC blood in him:

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=7067

(* note - all champion titles to include Bully's are show titles)

He of course bred both Max & Bully to other bitches, but most of them save for perhaps the Thor stuff, were still AmStaff based, hence most of the ppl on this board calling your dog an AmStaff.

Anyway, I hope this helps & good luck w/ Karma.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  3. thank you :)
    trust me i know i have A LOT to learn thats why im on these forums. not eveyone on these forum knows everything about this breed as some people seem to think. i am here to learn and educate myself on the beed as much as humanly possible. i am not goin to breed her to my other RE dog to be honest with you i dont really like snoops(RE dog) personality(sp) he has a bad DA problem and HA problems in the past. ive lived with him for almost 3 years now and he has "snapped" at me once. it scared me so bad i started crying and i am not a crier. and still to this day i cant figure out wht i did to make him do that.

*just to keep me in the save zone i was not the one who raised snoop*
    my pup has NEVER shown any DA or HA problems, but some say things like that dont show up till there older.

4. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Sounds like Snoop is quite normal in the DA department, it's the HA that is atypical for a PB type dog. If your dog is less than 3 years old you may find she wakes up one day and is DA, which is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL for a PB. (Notice I did not say APBT). PB is slang for all of the PB breeds, APBT, AS, Amer Bullys, Staffy Bulls. It is quite common for the dogs of these breeds to have DA as their ancestors were originally bred for blood sport - animal aggression.

ABK - you explain this, you do it much better.

OP don't take your dog to the dog park and never leave her alone with another dog...EVER

5. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

The question was when is it most healthy for her to breed..Its most healthy when the female is mature..That is the most "healthy" time I guess..

It seems that almost everyone is in agreement that you should not breed you dogs together as the background would be a undesirable cross,but SERIOUSLY who is to say what is exceptable as "brood stock"?..People breed for for different reasons,and it is no ones' business what the next man is doing with his animals(property)..What most people on this board consider brood stock I personally would breed with a bullet from a .22 long rifle..But thats just me..Im sure many would look at my dogs and have different feelings about them than I do, but hey..

In every "working" breed there are always 3 different types of owners..serious enthusiests,show breeders,and pet owners..Who is to say that the "other" type of owner is wrong for doing what he feels is right?.

When the heat "REALLY" comes down in this country it just might be for the benefiet of the breed as all the phonies will be weeded out and only the DIE HARD "owners"(dare I use the term dogmen) will keep their dogs..This is just my opinion,and Im sure many will dissagree..

I say breed what "you" want and dont mind what the next man thinks..

6. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

blondie - I think that it's great that you're open & willing to learn! People here can be a bit harsh at times & many times they either shut the person down or run them off. I'm glad you've done neither! :)

I think it's super that you've decided not to breed to Snoop. Sadly, most RE dogs are bred for looks alone & the majority of breeders take no regard for temperment or health. as a result, temperment & health can suffer.

I've heard a few horror stories about RE dogs being human aggressive (HA) so Snoop's behaviour doesn't surprise me. HA is NOT correct for our breed AT ALL & IMO any dog that is HA w/o good reason should be PTS.

I doubt your BF will be willing to have Snoop put down, so all I can say is review the incident in your mind to see what might have set him off & try not to do that again. Or even better, maybe have your BF put Snoop outside while you visit for your safety.

If you & your BF live together, I would impliment the NILIF method of training w/ Snoop ASAP. This can often times nip blooming aggression problems in the bud (pardon the pun!).

Here is a intro link to NILIF:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Yes, it is normal for our dogs to be dog aggressive (DA) & yes, you are correct in that Karma's DA may not surface until she is older. My WD bred bitch didn't become DA until she was 2.5 years old. In fact, we bought her off some guy at the age of 2 for $150 b/c she was stone cold & wouldn't even fight to defend herself. But come along 6 mos later it was like someone flipped a switch & our normally placid house pet became a dog killing machine. :eek:

I would like to take a moment to say here though that while I have had some very DA dogs, DA does NOT equal HA. A lot of folks like to think b/c a dog goes after another dog (or cat or squirrel, etc.) that it will go after a child next. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the only 2 bulldogs I had that were man-biters, neither were DA in the least. Go figure, huh? So please don't equate DA w/ HA. They are two TOTALLY different things & in fact, truth be told, many dogs who would bite a dog (or any other animal) would not even think of biting a human.

(However I wouldn't take this as license to get all cuddly w/ Snoop. Even though he is DA, it is obvious he has some HA issues!)

Anyway, back to the point - this is why My Dawgs says not to take her to a dog park, EVER. You never know when Karma is going to "crank." It might be never or it might be next week. But rest assured, what seems like innocent play one moment could become a fight to the death another.

As such I recommend you purchase a parting stick & carry it with you when you & Karma are out & about. Here is a link to a nice link about parting sticks & where to purchase one:

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

As for leaving her alone, again, I have to concur w/ MyDawgs. Over the years I have had the unfortunate pleasure of having dogs bust out of crates, jump through windows, climb fences, chew through fences & dig under fences all to fight w/ another dog. So leaving her alone is simply inviting injury to herself &/or others.

I recommend a good chain set-up within a fenced yard if she's kept outdoors or crating her in a good, study crate in a windowless room in which you can close the door if she is kept indoors. Even these though will not be 100% fool proof, but it's probably the best you can do.

Our breed is a magnificent one, but they're not for everyone. You have to be super vigilant for the safety of other & for the safety of yourself & your dog.

Well, I guess that's about it in a nut shell. Welcome & please keep that open mind & willingness to learn! It is a refreshing change! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  7. i just bought two parting sticks one for my moms house and one for me. and now i am no longer with my bf so snoop is no longer in the picture. and about snoop snappin i have gave it some thought all i was doin was layin on the bed and he was in my arms and i was pettin his back and then out of no where he went straight for my face, i pulled away fast so he barley nipped my chin. up till then he has never shown HA towards me EVER and after he still hasnt either.... i checked his back thinkin maybe he had a cut or somethin and i found nothin. i couldnt tell you for the life of me why he did that.
    but thank you but bein so understandin, and the people that can be a little "harsh".... lol let em' i think its a waste of time to raise ur voice or cop an attitude. imo it getts u no where. u dont fight fire with fire u know?

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes, my mother always taught me that one can catch more flies w/ honey than you can w/ vinegar, but some folks on here can be pretty "sour" if you know what I mean! ;)

As for Snoop, he may have had an injury you couldn't see. The physique of many RE dogs is such that they are more prone to both hip dysplasia & elbow dysplasia. If he were affected w/ either it could cause him great pain.

Or it could have been a dominance issue. He may have simply seen himself as the alpha & you as the beta. In canine society, everyone below the alpha gives the alpha attention, just as you were doing w/ Snoop by cuddling him. But when the alpha tires of all the attention, they will snap or snarl, which is their way of saying "OK, I've had enough attention, get off me now!"

That is why I personally do not let my dog on the bed. The alpha (which should be you) should have the prime sleeping area (the bed). All others sleep on the floor, where IMO the dog belongs.

9. i have a question about your last statemant about the dogs should sleep on the floor... my pup karma has a bit of seperation problems. she always has to be near me. i cant even go to the bathroom with out her waitin outside the door or in there with me sometimes shell wine if shes not... and she has to be sleepin with me i will push her of every hour durin the night but she will jump right back up and lay under the covers with me like she was a person. i gave up on kickin her off the bed because i was loosin to much sleep. i can not get her to sleep on the floor. i bought her a NICE BIG down filled dog bed thinkin that she would have no problem sleepin on it insted of with me in the bed. and i was wrong i mean she loves it ndurin during the day but when i go to bed she right there with me. i have tried to redirect her to her bed and shell stay for a while but sure enough right back to bed with me.

*i realize this is off topic, but i do not want her seperation "problems" to become anything major as she matures.

again thank you for baring with me in my never-ending questions about this breed. i believe questions are the first and key step to success. as corny as it may sound. :)

10. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

You are right on the nose about noting "separation issues" could lead to other problems. As far as the night time goes, get a crate. Put her bed in the crate. At night lead her into the crate and then reward her (make it a GOOD experience), say goodnight and get a great nights sleep. In the morning greet her with smiles and posative energy, let her come out of the crate in a calm manner --- BIG REWARD. then let her follow you as YOU please. This is reinforcing YOUR leadership. The Alpha controls the shots. The Alpha is always fair. Karma will feel secure when she KNOWS she doesn't have to worry because YOU ( the pack leader) have her back!!!!!!

11. i have a crate she doesnt mind it but i wont put her bed in it shell cheww on it even when i put her kong in there lol but thanks :)

12. DiMaSaLaNg

DiMaSaLaNg Big Dog

having a female dog does not mean you have to breed it. :)

13. really?:D lol....

14. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

Just dont do liek this guy did... Chloe's pic "photo @ 1yr" and the damned dog has already had a litter! http://www.whitedevilpitbulls.com/FEMALES.html

An acquaintance who already owns a bully type wants a dog sooo bad off this guy's dogs...i wouldn't go anywhere near them personally. Peddler. I wish I had my acquaintance's number still...or a big stick to beat him with :D

15. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Not to mention that she had another litter 6 months later:(

16. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

yup, just sickening. coulda been an almost decent guy since he at least shows the dogs but the you see sh!t like that and...grrrr

17. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I always thought this was a pretty stupid, or ignorant reason for breeding. I do breed my dogs, not all of them, but some of them, and I have yet to make the quick money. I would be very, very lucky if I broke even, as it cost alot of money to properly keep a yard of bulldogs. My wife keeps all my reciepts, but I'd hate to really do a tally. In thought, it doesnt seem like much, but in the doing, unexpected costs come up that you dont plan for. Take last year. I'd hate to tell you how much I spent on fighting just the fleas.

Most folks who get into it only consider the feed, maybe, maybe the heartworm preventative. They never go into the other expenses, and they sure dont consider unexpected vet bills. Oh, and lets not forget now the unwarranted legal problems, then there's the insurance, what if a yard accident happens that gets so bad you must seek vet assistance? Most folks didnt grow up in a rural place where you learn to do most of it yourself like some of us have. What about all the expense you have incurred to weed through the ones who were not worthy of being bred? What about when through ignorance of proper containment, the dogs get loose, and you come home to your twelve dogs that cost you half a years wage to get are all lieing there dead? Not even counting the heartbreak that you have because you have become attached to them.

No, I just cant see anyone getting into breeding, especially these dogs, for the money.

I also see this allot. i see people with 2 or 3 dogs calling themselves a Kennel. What's up with that? Someone was on here not to long ago saying, "look at my site and tell me what you think", and when I went to the site, this person had 2 dogs! Two dogs!!

I am sorry for the rant. I just trip on folks who say it is easy money. ( and I aint jumping on the person I just quoted at the top of this reply, just tearing at the thought that many folks have)