1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ADBA show question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by jdbpitbull, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

do collars have to be nylon or leather ? and same question for leads and what about crates do they have to be the metal or plastic crates?

2. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

or can they be the new nylon travel crates?

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Collars can be nylon or leather, as long as they're buckle-style and not quick-release. Use whatever looks good on your dog. As for the crates, I've seen wire and plastic ones. Don't know about nylon crates.

4. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

thanks Baha for the answer much appreciated getting all my info together for an upcoming show itll be my first one!:D

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Cool! Have fun! ADBA shows are a pretty relaxed environment.

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

collars are like was already stated,and for leads i would go with a nice leather or nylong of some sort.now as far as crates i would stick with the ones like you use for flying the dogs or the metal ones.nylon to me sounds like it may be a saftey hazzard because as you know these dogs can chew through the plastic ones pretty easy when they set their minds to it and can go through them metal ones to,so i would figure they could tear them little nylon ones to shreds in no time and then you have a big mess on your hands.just keep it safe and classy at the shows and you should be fine.

7. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

yeah, I'd say those nylon crates are a big no no. I've had dogs go thru plastic crates and the wire cages, them nylon ones would barely be a challenge for them. You can also use those cotton horse leads for your dog, they are very strong and come in a wide variety of colors.

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yeah them leads look pretty sharp.forgot all about those.

9. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

use 4ft leads

10. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

yup, gotta be 4', but if you go to the feed store they usually have those horse leads by the foot and just buy what you need, they'll cut 'em.

11. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

i didnt plan on getting the nylon crates its just i know where some are on sale for 12.50 cause i already have one of the metal crates! and now needing to get 2 more i am going to try to go to the show in texarkana AR in october and the one in cleburne Tx in november! I have 3 that will hopefully be ready by then! what are all the age groups by the way!? thanks for all the replys very informative !:D

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Just curious, by nylon, do you mean those cloth crates that zipper shut? I've seen those at other shows, but I don't think I'd use one in an ADBA environment. Even if your dog is super-mellow in the crate, an ADBA show can key any dog up.

13. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

I believe that! I am talking about the zipper ones! Mine are very mellow as of now but i deffinately understand the enviroment and keying them up! But i figured this would be the best place to aask about it! I told the lady that was selling them its a good deal but my dogs would have them for a snack just for the hell of it!LOL No I am looking at a couple more crates that are on sale ones a plastic one and one is a metal one! In your honest opinion which collars make your dogs look the best!?

14. the age groups are as follows

4-6 month puppy m/f
    6-9 month puppy m/f
    9-12 month puppy m/f

Best puppy of show.......all 6 winners of the puppy classes

champion of champions.....champions only

12-18 month m/f
    18-24 month m/f
    2 -3 year old m/f
    3 - 5 year old m/f
    5 and over m/f

best of show........every first place winner in the adult classes plus the best puppy of show.

any more questions, just ask! ;)

15. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

Does the handler have to dress any certain way!?

16. go to http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/dogcollers.htm

if you got a very young pup get the [font=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial]Triple Ply 1" Collars with Double keepers !!

if you got a 6 month or over pup i would get
    [/font][font=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial]1.5" 4-Ply Super Heavy Duty Show Collars

whatever you get don't get WIDE collars. the judges like to see the neck and puppies should have nice, small collars. IMO i would not even go 2" on an adult dog.

i use the 1.5" super heavy show collars on 11 month old pups.

no the handler doesn't need to dress up. very relaxed environment.

check my gallery for pics of my dogs with the collars on in the ring.

[/font]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  17. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

Thanks thats actually something i really wouldnt have though of!

18. here's a pic of one of my dogs with his stillwater collar on. GET THEM! they are great! check my gallery. there's plenty of show pics in there.

[​IMG]

19. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

Thanks BB answered quite a few questions for me just by looking at pics!

20. NP glad to help. i plan on attending both the shows you were talking about. unless of course something stupid comes up between now and then. :D we'll have to hook up and say hello. i'd love to see your dogs. good luck! it's alot of fun, and usually alot of great people.