1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Best Dog Foods

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Zerotec, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I feed valu Pak for yard maintenance(daily feed). Most the ppl I know use pro plan in keep with added ingredients that change from person to person. But the majority use pro plan as the base.

Hard to argue when someone is posting material to back their claims. Put a bowl of grains and carbs in from of a dog and put a bowl of meat fat and bones you tell me what they go for......

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

It's pricey for sure . I'm not feeding many so I can afford it but I still hate paying that much . It's the only kibble that I have ever been fully satisfied with.

3. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

It's not cost effective for a decent sized yard in the long run. Nor do their ingredients warrant the price.....

I pay about $44 after tax for a 50lbs bag of Valu Pak. It's FAR cheaper than pro plan and doesn't contain any corn, gluten, or soy. Pro plan can't say that. If I'm paying top dollar for feed pro plan wouldn't even be on my list.

Also in 50 years of being on the market Valu Pak has never had a recall. Not many feed brands can say the same either.

It's all personal choice and what you think works for you.

A buddy feeds sports mix. Doesn't matter how many dogs it kills that's what he's happy with. When I dropped a bitch off with him she came with 2 bags of valu pak. When she ran out I took 2 more. I wouldn't expect him to change his yard and I damn sure won't change mine lol

Hell T.G. feeds OL ROY(camo bag) by the pallet. I wouldn't ever feed that bullshit but it's hard to tell him it is shit and doesn't work when it feeds all his dogs and keeps them alive for the price he wants to pay.

The feed debate is like the bloodlines debate. There's never going to be a clear winner because for every success there's a failure.

CodyScott and bamaman like this.
  4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I agree on pro plan ingredients a d why the shit work so good is beyond me.

5. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

On a whim I tried "American Journey" from chewy. If I were to put a dog through a keep that would be my base. I like the ingredients, price and results from it.

CodyScott and bamaman like this.
  6. Zerotec

Zerotec Pup

He did well actually. I still have him on Pro Plan. The only downside is the price of the bags. Where I'm at it's about $75-$80 for a 41lb bag.

7. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Costs alot to keep a genetically fucked dog "healthy"

Zerotec likes this.
  8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

That's a expensive. 80$ can get you a lot of chicken leg 1/4 and beef liver and tripe lol

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Even more peanutbutter

10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Feeding has to give us the warm fuzzies first, then fuel the dog next. LOL

If a guy is out there getting it done feeding corn flakes and cabbage you will be hard pressed to convince him otherwise.

In order to get the top quality in a bag that same money (and most of the time even less) a person could feed their dog(s) a economical raw diet. But the raw diet is not convenient for us and the time and effort it takes usually pushed people who switch....back to bags.

I do a mix throughout the year. I have fed Buddy Boy for many years but some distributorship stuff makes it a bit more difficult to get. It is a cheap hunting dog food but it keeps them up and they have yet to voice their first complaint. I add beef fat and leg quarters on the regular.

Now I am on the Vau-Pak. I am on the 24/20 bag that's about $30.

The dogs I grew up on were fed Field Trial. I ad to cut two yards of grass to get enough money to buy a 50lb bag. It was around $6 back then. basically gravy flavored cardboard. Some bags still had feathers.

Those dogs lived and when the work started the meats, greens, rice and jack cheeses were added to that cheap ass Field Trial. He knowcked down a lot of W's with it as his staple.

S

Ssdd and che like this.
  11. che

che Top Dog

12. KiwiMax

KiwiMax Pup

Haha, "warm fuzzies first, fuel the dog next" - that's a great way to put it! It's all about finding what works for both our furry friends and our wallets, right?

13. Revelator

Revelator Big Dog

What bag are you feeding, the black bag?

14. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Yes. Raw now.

Revelator likes this.
  15. KiwiMax

KiwiMax Pup

I hear you on the convenience factor, and it seems like you've got a good mix going on. And speaking of dogs and their preferences, I've got a random question: It's one of those curious things we sometimes wonder about when it comes to our canine pals.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2023