1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Conditioning in the summer

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by pohl78, Jul 1, 2015.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

[QUOTEi"NatureBoy, post: 747295, member: 13792"]This is exactly my point.. Living in the extreme heat is one thing. Putting yourself in the best possible position to win is another. If you feel it's best to race all year round then do so. I'll maintain my athletes in the summer mths and race when it's cooler. Just as I would work in the early am and cooler evenings to make make sure I get 100% out of my motor every night and day which in turn hopefully I get 100% when it really counts.
    One thing I've learned in life is to be patient and in this situation i won't let my pride stop me from any achievements.[/QUOTE]
    Point is NB it doesn't make a guy wrong for checking a dog in the heat.You may not agree with it but it happens, when showtime comes you know what you got for sure.

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I know a guy that when he was in his prime , you could call him at 3 a.m in the morning or 3 p.m. in the afternoon if u had the money lol.He kept dogs ready.

3. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

Not saying your wrong bama.. People can do as they please. I just have a hard time understanding why some people do not want to give themselves the best opportunity especially after all the time invested.

bamaman likes this.
  4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I do understand your side of it NB and its very logical and I would never advise anyone to work one under extreme heat without someone showing them how.

NatureBoy likes this.
  5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

One thing to add is everybody's heat is different. Up north or Midwest may think 83 is "heat". That's a cool summer morning here. Now working a dog in 100 degree weather is heat.

david63 likes this.
  6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Gulf of Mexico is a monster .Man in the winter its straight up pneumonia weather , its either wet and humid and then goes to dry and cold.I prefer the dry and cold in the winter.Believe it or not the humidity as far as on me is much better in the summer than winter.Not comparing humans to dogs , its a brutal climate in the deep south.I have to say Winter is muchworse because it goes from one extreme to the other lol.I'd actually do much better in the summer with a steady dose of heat and humidity.I don't know where the rumors of lazy southerners got started but I'm sure we have our share.But if you were lazy in my family u got set straight really quick and with a belt if necessary. This climate is brutal in the deep south, I won't even touch on the insects and poisonous spiders and snakes .lolYou have to push yourself.I guess that's why some of us ain't afraid to work one in the heat.

TROTLINE and patjr like this.
  7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Now when your on the beaches its not as bad , u usually get a breeze and the Gulf is absolutely gorgeous. U get a little ways inland and look out lol..More trees and hills the more u feel affects of the climate.

NatureBoy likes this.
  8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Thats what I'm lookin at right now .Thunderheads , means high humiditt even where most of you live.But this is every day here.

Attached Files:

9. c_note

c_note CH Dog

You live where you live and have to adapt to the climate. Extreme heat is one thing, anything under 90-95 is all ball for me

bamaman likes this.
  10. Red Cemtre

Red Cemtre Big Dog

One thing I will say in everyone else's defence, while we were working dogs in 100+ degrees this was in the desert so the humidity levels are low, around 20-30%. If we were talking high humidity like some of you fellas down south get, I'd be avoiding the heat of the day like the plague. Humidity just runs you down so much more. In the tropics round where I come from enough people go insane from it that we've got a saying called "going troppo", which basically means the heat and humidity have gotten to you to the point you start losing your sanity. Massive jumps in suicide rates over monsoon season (summer)

TROTLINE and RobR73 like this.
  11. RobR73

RobR73 Big Dog

Man I lived on the gulf coast of Florida in the Tampabay area for 17 years and it is brutal, not only for the dogs, but humans as well.......and it lasts forever. The gulf water would routinely heat up to 92-93 degrees every year. Fuck that, now I'm in the high desert out west and couldn't be happier. We hit 100 maybe two days a year and even in the middle of summer it drops into the 50's at night with almost no humidity....true paradise.

smalldog and bamaman like this.
  12. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Let's face it. Some of us are built for heat some aren't.....

david63 likes this.
  13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Growing up and farming in the south the humidity was tough. When I got to the service I was in California and it hit 100. The orange and red safety flags were up and I was like its not that hot. But after some time out there, the California hot got to be hot as well. When I transferred back to Charleston it was a real ass-kicker. I had forgotten my roots. The humidity can give a real punch in the face.

With that said, I'm giving my props to the cat that invented air conditioning. He is the mofo'ing man!

S

14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Yous can come move up north and freeze yer arse off 3 out of 4 seasons instead. Lol.

I'm built for the hot climate not the cold. Somehow I've managed to spend my entire life up north, miserably. Dogs hate it just as much as I do. We get high humidity in the summer here since I live on a peninsula but our temps stay around 80 to 95 in the summer time ususally. I'm sure it's a different kind of humidity that the deep south feels. I tend to do all my working with them in the very early mornings or evenings when it's cooler out. I heat stroked one a few years back, ever since then I don't do excessive work during the day unless it's indoors and climate controlled. I was always told to work them hardest in the later evening since that is when they will most likey hunt. Don't know if it makes any difference or not but I've done it that way for the last few years.

Thunder98 likes this.
  15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Those living in hot climates already know what its like to sponge out a dogs nut sack its nothing new. LMAO

c_note and O.S.O. NAS like this.
  16. O.S.O. NAS

O.S.O. NAS Big Dog

I waited over 2 years onetime just so when a friend was up for it we could race. 47 minutes in he looked over breathing as if gasping just to survive. Before the race He purposely had me wait outside in the sun for 3 hours . It's always good to be Race Ready in any condition dead of winter Hottest in Summer wettest of springs . Life happens we don't always get to pick what happens n when so for those times alone We keep in shape All year. Great read btw.

17. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

You should of put you athlete back in the kennel and left with your paper.. Told your friend to go fuck himself and said lets do it another day. Keep your athletes in shape all year round, and treat your business like a professional. Anyone who waste that much of your time is not worth the time invested.

Thunder98 and Jsullivan like this.
  18. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I agree natureboy,,, old shitty tactic of run around by non sportsmen...

the north work their dogs in the summer and the south in the winter,,,
    and there might be a bulldog paradise right inbetween...

I like the Late Barney Fifes style of working your dog around the same time as kick off
    as most are creatures of habit and most will thrive better at certain time of day they are a custom to...

the old war eagle liked to work his dogs extra early and do them in the morning as most were sleeping at that time...

Thunder98 likes this.
  19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

damn dog could be fat lol but no one thinks of that . looks like to many people can't or won't work them in the heat . cajun said not from 12 pm - 5 . some places don't cool off much depends on where you are .

Thunder98 and bamaman like this.
  20. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I agree with that saying as dogs are creatures of habit and become accustom to a set routine.

Thunder98 likes this.