1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Does Patterdale really have APBT BLOOD RELATIONSHIP ?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Bolio ROM, Sep 14, 2022.

1. stedz

stedz Top Dog

Most lads keep themselves to themselves,only breed a litter when they need something ,and the rest of pups are kept within close circle.safer all round.

david63 likes this.
  2. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

Sounds familiar

3. Bull has been in the dogs for decades, if not centuries, the famous Patterdale breeder Brian Nuttall mentioned in the Fell Terrier book how his grandfather added local Pit Dog blood in to his working terriers, these Pit types were basically the ancestors of the APBT. I also wouldn't be surprised to discover it wasn't all one way traffic either, if, the APBT does have terrier blood then I imagine the blood came from earth dogs of the past, why wouldn't it?

david63 likes this.
  4. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

According to some he is

5. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

Well i will tell you this how would a 12lbs terrier fair against a badger? Or a 20lbs racoon? If they aren't smart in technique then you will have a mess on your hads after 1 hole set. Most hole sets i have hunted in one day in the Staes is 30 of course we 7 guys digging. I have watched extremely hard dogs only be good for one or two sets while some you can cut loose they hunt and locate for themselves and mix it up with the game at the back of the hole set and take little to no damage then you hunt them another 5 hole sets and get another 5 ground dwellers. Classic quote "how many dogs you bring..... just one..... hmmmm going to be a short day for you them..... I don't think so.

MARK STEELE likes this.
  6. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

Yes and did you read the part that he bred Border back in because they became to hard? Imagine you put Gr. Ch. Art with his head in a culvert pipe then put a grizzly bear 8-12 inches with his head in the pipe pointed at Art how do you think he would do? These dogs were never intended to be pit fighting dogs in a box with rules they are a hunting terrier. Do all terriers like to fight yes but try fighting in a straight jacket thats what its like in USA hole sets in my neck of the woods 90% of imports will never make it to ground because they are just to big and the earths are extremely small.

david63 likes this.
  7. You don't need to ask about bulldogs, I've seen first hand the damage a badger can do to a hard terrier, let's just say it makes most injuries sustained in the box look like paper cups. If you have an overly hard, wreckless digging dog the digs are few & far between and careers are short.

david63 likes this.
  8. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

That's spot on!

9. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

Brian Nuttall also stated that the bull blood his grandfather added made the dogs to reckless and had so he bred border a few times to add some brains too them.

david63 likes this.
  10. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

What about other note worthy men like Joe Bowman, Joe wear, Joe Armstrong, Fred Barker, Anthony Barker, Hadisty, Wilkinson, Middleton, Park, Roberts and many more who used more fell type.

david63 likes this.