1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fish Oil

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by jeoestreich, Feb 8, 2007.

1. My male has really dry skin during this wonderful winter season. I know that adding fish oil to his food with help with his dry skin, but will it upset his already sensitive stomach?

Thanks

2. Attila

Attila Guest

I doubt it. But if you want test it out by using a 1/4 dose for three days then a half dose for three days 3/4 and up to a dose. You should know by the 5th day. Or less. It is a simple lipid so it shouldn't bother the dog.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Start with just a bit, and build up, just like if you were switching foods. I like olive oil for dry skin.

4. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Do you just pour the oil on their food? Not sure if my dog's would like that, I dunno, never tried.

5. Yes you do, and trust me they most likely will LOVE it.

6. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

How many times a day?

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I would only give it every few days. Oil has a lot of fat in it. I know Loki was quite the little tub when I started out and was giving her oil with each meal. LOL

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

why don't you try bathing him with a good oatmeal shampoo,then sprinkling a little powdered milk on the feed.that should do the trick and you won't run the risk of a upset stomach.bath him once a week.and for the first week add the powdered milk everyday to the feed.then the second week bath again only add the milk every other day.and so on and so forth.you will see pretty good quick results.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I forgot about the oatmeal shampoo. We do that here, too. Most other shampoos make her coat dry, but the oatmeal stuff actually effects an improvement.

10. I do have the oatmeal shampoo and it works great but in the winter time here where the temperature has been below zero for the past two and half weeks, the shampoo is just not cutting it by itself. So I thought that I would try something along with it and the couple sparys and conditioners that I have tried has irrated his skin.

11. why don't you try what old timer told you. ;)

12. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

when ever you have a dog with a touchy coat never use anything besides oatmeal shampoo.don't use any sprays or conditioners.

13. Marty

Marty Guest

What kind of dog food are you feeding?

14. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I feed Timberwolf and raw (not together though) and when it's really cold and dry, we switch to the Ocean Blue formula.

Birdie is a seal dog and gets nasty flakey skin, even with the oatmeal shampoo, so the TW OB formula helps alot. It has fish oils in it.

15. blingz

blingz Pup

16. mansch

mansch Big Dog

i give a one tablespoon of flaxseed oil every morning and her coat is great!

17. I am feeding Ceaser Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. His coat has only been really bad the last few weeks when it has been below zero. But Queen, my female, and JT, my other male, their coat is just fine.

18. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My old girl Venus is prone to dry skin especially during the winter. Some foods she doesn't do well on at all and dries right out. I found that fish oil made a huge difference.

19. Humidifiers!!! Make a world of difference...for you and them.
    Now if your dog lives outside, I'm not sure what you could do.

20. NEohioPit

NEohioPit Pup

My dogs skin gets really winter, there is hair everywhere. But i started giving her 1 fish oil pill everymorning. They are 1000mg, the same ones a human would take. And within 2 weeks her skin was great, no hairs falling out and coat is nice and shiny.