1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Fruits & Veggies?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jasong, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jasong

jasong Big Dog

Fruits & Veggies?

What fruits and veggies are best to feed you dog? Are thee any harmful fruits or veggies that we should stay away from? Do they have to be cooked (steamed, boiled, etc.) first before given? I think alot of people could benefit from knowing this stuff.

2. Re: Fruits & Veggies?

Most vegetables and fruits are fine with the exception of the following:

Grapes
    garlic or onions (can't remember which)

In addition, there are some vegetables such as carrots that are not readily digestible. Thus, these type of foods must be puree in order for the dog to successfully digest. In addition (while we are talking good versus bad foods) chocolate must be avoided. Rule of thumb, the darker the chocolate the more "poison" it contains (meaning white chocolate is less posionous than dark).

I am sure there are other things that need to be included but it is 10am and my mind is still asleep. Once I fully wake-up or cheat and look at my notes (hehehe), I will supplement my answer for you and others.

3. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Re: Fruits & Veggies?

I feed the raw food diet, good veges are (make sure you use ONLY fresh):

GREENS-
    collard greens
    parsley
    kale
    spinach (in moderation)
    swiss chard
    broccoli
    dandelion greens

Other veggies/fruit-
    Carrots w/tops
    apples
    summer squash
    zucchini

These are veges used in the BARF diet (raw food diet)

NEVER give your dog grapes/raisins:

<CENTER>

[size=+2]FYI[/size]</CENTER>

[size=+1]Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs[/size]

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction. Michael Richards, DVM
    6/5/2001

BTW I agree with Rocky, I puree all my fresh veges with sardines in oil, whole yogurt and garlic then mix it with their protien. I do use garlic in limited amounts, it is supposed to boost the imune system.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2006
  4. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

ONIONS, THEY ARE THE BAD ONES

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I think someone posted a list on here some months back. Maybe try a seach on here.

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I think most of this has been covered.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=md_blue ::>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=11>[​IMG]</TD><TD width="100%">

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
    - Alcoholic beverages
    - Avocado
    - Chocolate (all forms)
    - Coffee (all forms)
    - Fatty foods
    - Macadamia nuts
    - Moldy or spoiled foods
    - Onions, onion powder
    - Raisins and grapes
    - Salt
    - Yeast dough
    - Garlic
    - Products sweetened with xylitol

Garlic can be feed, but don't overdue it!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

8. jasong

jasong Big Dog

Alcohol............. but isn't that one of the three basic food groups. Surely you don't mean I have to stop giving them beer do u. lol

9. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

I hope not cause mine love it. just a beer or two surely cant hurt. right?

10. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

my dog love beer too. i never give him too much though so i never know if he would get drunk. best not to since he drives me home most of the time.

11. cary-dude

cary-dude Big Dog

My breeder told me when I picked up my dog to never feed her onions. as far as grapes go well my dog really likes them but after reading all of this she won't get anymore. One other thing my dog really loves-and I mean really loves- garlic pickles.

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Someone posted this on another board. Some of it is self-explanatory, but:

Items to avoid - Reasons to avoid

Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat source Can cause obstruction or eslaceration of the digestive system.

Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms of chocolate. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.

Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

13. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Please don't feed your dogs fruits and vegetables on a regular basis. Its ok to maybe give them some twice a month, but not every day or every week. The sulphur content may be too high and you will damage your dog's kidneys.

Plus you NEVER cook food you give your dog. Expecially with using vegetables. If you do feed fruit and vegetables, you have to MAKE SURE you blend them up into a puree. Otherwise they will not be able to break down the plant matter as efficient.

14. jasong

jasong Big Dog

this is all good stuff. Keep it up people.

15. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

16. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Ok let me rephrase GREENS. I literally mean GREENS. Collard GREENS, Mustard GREENS. NOT GREENS(kale is kale....baby spinach is baby spinach) So when I say greens I mean GREENS. Sounds like a communication error. So I would NOT feed GREENS everday of the week. Dogs thrive off of MEAT and FAT.....not veggies and fruit. I hope you people don't try to turn their dogs into vegetarians.

Now to feed this stuff during a KEEP, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that, but I would NOT do it long term 3 times a week for the rest of the dog's life. That's just me. I don't do it and my dog does great. I guess it all depends on the dog. Even with feeding things like raw meat, bones, and vegetables, all dogs are going to be different. What works for mine may not work for yours

The reason why I say that is because most people don't "measure" the amount given. Most people DO NOT put their dogs through a keep let alone give them daily exercise (and I don't count walking up the street and back as exercise). .

But ask yourself, how many people on here are actually putting a dog in a KEEP buy using a raw diet????? Not very many...If so I wish they would speak up so we can get a good convo going about conditioning and diet.

I answered the original question to this topic based on regular days feeding. NOT a diet during a KEEP. Totally different.

17. jasong

jasong Big Dog

I was simply refering to fruits and veggies that are ok for the dog. I feed my dog a little fruit and veggies about 3 times a week as well. Not alot but some and they do great. They aren't in any sort of keep but they are conditioned and look very very good. I jsut want people to know what is OK and what isn't.

18. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

Lexas loves to drink. If I, or someone else, leaves a beer or mixed drink on the floor, or on a low table, she'll knock it over and lick it up, or just stick her face in it. She doesn't do that with regular drinks. Edit-discussion of illegal activities. -14rock

I gotta party dog. LMAO

19. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

Samson just curls up on the sofa and hangs out sometimes he starts to take like really deep breaths and just looks at me. so i dont do that much anymore, but he still likes it. lmfao.

20. TruPitLver

TruPitLver Big Dog

I don't think there's any problem with it as long as it's only a once in a blue moon type thing. I don't think you should let them drink all the time. I mean you gotta let them have some fun!!!!

Like my best friend's mom says:

"I'd rather her drink and smoke with me than with someone else. At least that way I know what and how much she took and I'll be able to watch her."

LOL