1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hog Hunting

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by c.knight, Jun 28, 2006.

1. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

I Am Trying To Get Into Hog Hunting Reading As Much As Possible About It Now Are There Any Book Out There. And If There Is Anyone On Here That Can Give Me Some Advice Like Step 1 Thru Step 100,000. But Anything Will Be Appreciated

2. Attila

Attila Guest

I would find some one that does it and try to tag along. Maybe there is a club down your way or something of that nature.

3. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

But I Dont Know Anyone Aroung Here

4. Attila

Attila Guest

I don't know any one down there either Maybe you should contact Bamaboy or one of the other hog hunters on the site. they have photos of hunts inthe photo gallery

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

A lot of folks in hog hunting are leary of letting anyone new into the circle. Because of all the busts of "hog dog rodeos" and whatever crap. I was interested in hog-testing our Dogo before he got too old, and found out quickly that it was going to be hard to find anywhere to get him in a pen with one. Sure, I could go out and let him loose in the woods and hope for the best, but that wasn't the way I wanted to go with a 7-year-old dog that had never seen a piggie. Good luck; hopefully your luck runs better than mine.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

That is a sucky part all the freaks messing up hunting. My dogs have seen hogs and cut up but I have not been trained on it so I dare not mess with it till then. I just shoot hogs now and eat them.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Sounds like dinner to me. :)

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Knight: There are tons of hog clubs & hog hunt outfits in FL. Just do a google search on hog hunting in Florida & you will find many of them.

Baha: I'm sorry to hear you were treated that way. I would recommend making some hog hunting friends & perhaps after they get to know you things will turn around. There are plenty of hog hunting clubs in your neighboring state of TX.

Good luck! ;)

9. why would they outlaw hog hunting becaus hell they take bird dogs and all sort of other breeds hunting and nobody sais anything about that.

10. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

If they get rid of one sport like that, shouldn't they get rid of them all. INCLUDING BOXING..I mean..if they think its so wrong, any sport that is violent should be gotten rid of.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

They're not outlawing hog hunting. They're outlawing hog dog rodeos. In hog hunting the hog is free to escape. In a rodeo the hog is confined in a pen. As such, they consider rodeos "animal fighting" hog vs. dog.

12. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Ahh..thanks for the information.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks ABK. Jedi is an old man and probably the last Dogo we'll own for a while. But maybe if I meet some folks we'll see how long he keeps acting like a puppy. (I don't really want to take my APBT in that direction since she's primarily a pet.)

ETA: A dog trainer friend of mine told me they outlawed hog hunting here in OK. I told her she had to be mistaken because the latest hunting guide says hogs can be hunted with no bag limit, by any means necessary. I also said that since feral hogs are not a native species -- in fact, are basically just a pest -- they aren't generally protected. Anybody know for sure?

14. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

Baha, check your state hunting laws. I know there are plenty of folks in OK that hog hunt, and at least one or two with Dogos.

15. B

B CH Dog

My state laws allow it and the use of dogs but it seems that the hogs were brought under control a few years ago. For awhile there were heavy sightings and regular successes hunting. Here recently I haven't heard about a hog in a very long time (3-4 years). I was looking into trying it out but we're out of hogs it seems :) You guys are lucky to have access to hunt animals like this. The dogs love working and its a legal route to allow them that right.

Regards,

B

16. game_test

game_test Top Dog

go trap some and let em go lol

17. B

B CH Dog

LOL. Yes, I'm sure the local Game and Wildlife people would love me turning loose a scourge..... Thanks for the laugh bud :)

Regards,

B