1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How much does it cost $$$ to show a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by semo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. semo

semo Top Dog

I am just curious. I will be getting a pup probably from show quality parents and want to be educated and not just rule it out because i heard it was EXPENSIVE. Can someone please give me an idea of costs to show a dog ? The dog will be either ADBA or UKC standard.

I dont know anything about showing really , like are there entry fees associated with going to these shows or is it just expensive traveling or what ?

I have tossed it in my mind that it might be a lot of fun to go to the occasional show and actually show my dog int he future.

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks

2. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

I dont know about conformation shows but ti know for the adba in weight pulling is 18 dollars a day per dog. i amsure the conformation is probably comparable to that. it does get expensive traveling but it is all worth it and a lot of fun.
    robbie

3. semo

semo Top Dog

So what do you win ? accredidations / trophies / ribbons ?

4. well lol iam going to the show in Pa this weekend and to show 3 dogs ,hotel,gas and food it is costy me $400 lmfao

5. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

yea and that is actually not that bad,

we are going to norman (OKC) to a show this weekend a luckily its not that far so we might get off cheap.

robbie

6. Attila

Attila Guest

Ah get a tent or a camper, pack your food. Depending on the drive you're only getting one dog so for about $40 you can do pull and show rest is gas. Now days gas is the big issue.

7. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

ADBA is $18 per dog per event each day...So if you are just doing conformation it'll run you $36 to show your dog for the weekend. Add weight pull to the same dog for the weekend and it'll cost ya $72.

To answer your other question...What do you win? Well IF you place in you class you will recieve a ribbon. There are trophies for Best Puppy, Best of Opposite Sex and Best of Show and you will recieve points for each placing that your dog gets:

ADBSI Clubs & Events /
    Points Awarded

POINT BREAKDOWN FOR CONFORMATION

Puppies 4 - 12 months Adults 12 month - 5 yrs & over
    1st place - 5 pts. 1st place - 10 pts.
    2nd place - 3 pts. 2nd place - 5 pts.
    3rd place - 2 pts. 3rd place - 3 pts.

Trophy awards Champion of Champion Class
    Best Puppy - 10 pts. Ch of Ch cup - 15 pts.
    Best of Opposite Sex - 10 pts. 2nd place - 10 pts.
    Best of Show - 15 pts. 3rd place - 5 pts.

If Your Dog Places over Ten Dogs in its Class Then You Earn the Following Points.
    Puppies 4-12 months (10+ dogs) Adults 12+month - 5yrs & over (10+dogs)
    1st place - 8 pts. 1st place - 15 pts.
    2nd place - 5 pts. 2nd place - 8 pts.
    3rd place - 3 pts. 3rd place - 5 pts.

POINT BREAKDOWN FOR WEIGHT PULL

Regular Class Trophy Awards
    1st place - 8 pts. Most Wt. Pulled Per Pound; 55lbs & under - 10 pts.
    2nd place - 5 pts. Most Wt. Pulled Per Pound; 55lbs & over - 10 pts.
    3rd place - 3 pts.

Ace of Ace Class Trophy Awards
    1st place - 10 pts. Most Wt. Pulled Per Pound; 55lbs & under - 15 pts.
    2nd place - 7 pts. Most Wt. Pulled Per Pound; 55lbs & over - 15 pts.
    3rd place - 4 pts.

Points and a half awarded at Nationals

8. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Here is a list for you:

conformation shows:
    $18- $25 depending on the show and if you preregister. Enterring all the shows sometimes will get you a discount

Hotel rooms: prices vary, you can save by camping out in certain locations

Gas: Price depends on how far you have to travel

Crate: you'll want one whether you show or not

Lead and collar:
    UKC and ADBA use different leads and collars for showing

Food: You can save by bringing a cooler

Classes: some people choose to take handling classes

You win ribbons, trophies sometimes other prizes may be offered. I have gotten t-shirts for taking Best of Breed and APBT wind chimes For A major win along with my ribbons also got a medal for best puppy from UKC

Shows really are a lot of fun

Now if you decide to do agility or weightpull add to that your training expences and a weight pull harness

here is a good link for you:
    http://www.ukcpitbull.com/encyclopedia/tiki-index.php?page=Dog+Show+Training