1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hungry Dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SlaughterHouse, Feb 11, 2010.

1. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

Maybe someone can explain to me why my dogs seem like they just cant get enough to eat. I was feeding my dogs about two years ago a brand of dog food named River Run, it is 24/20.

RIVER RUN INGREDIENTS
    Meat and Bone Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Brewer s Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (with mixed tocopherols), Poultry Meal, Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Iron Oxide, Calcium Carbonate, Cobalt Carbonate, Copper Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, L-Lysine, Methionine Supplement, L-Tryptophan, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Propionic Acid (a preservative).

I was feeding according to the label and the dogs wouldnt eat as much and some days they didnt eat at all. About a year ago I switched them to Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice to get away from feeding corn, it is 26/16.

Diamond Natural Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I am also feeding by the directions on the bag and my dogs seem like they are starving. They eat like they havent been feed in a week :rolleyes:. Their weight is great and if not watched can become overweight. I am just wonting to know why they would be acting like this? Also I worm my dogs every month and they show no physical signs of worms. All suggestions will be helpful.

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i never go by the bags suggestions, around 3-4 cups and if they leave kibble your feeding about a 1/8 cup to much i figure, JMO and a chicken thigh i was told, and currently use, or a half a chicken breast with bone(ribcage and back), but either way, no wasted kibble, and you will slightly adjust according to there exercise regime also. but if you do the same exercises with each dog everyday, then its easier.

You could make a Journal about each dogs weight and diet with food scales , If you want to take the time. Add there excercise times and activities used that day. i started one with my oldest dog recently,cause he is trim one week and huge (over fed look other weeks) and for the life of me couldn't see really see any variables in diet, workouts , vigor of the dog, and change of anything in the daily routine, then I figured it out the times he was trim Trim there was a bitch in heat, and the times he was little heavier, no other dogs were in heat , he vegged out i guess as appose to running the chain , when i was only feeding him for a less active daily routine!?

just food for thought!

I half ass figured it out with a buddies deer cam that was set up for security, but when you have the dates recorded you can make the connections with the info you right down, but i suggest keeping in heat bitches in the porch for safe from..........(JERRY LEE HOUNDS:D)

We had our hound breed 3 neighbor dogs, but he stays
    away from the Yard dogs! Only After Getting his ear Grabbed stealing food tho!:cool:

3. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Diamond was HORRIBLE for all of my dogs. Different breeds, totally different. My Dobermann, a Black Russian Terrier, a Malinois, and our Donovan Pinscher. All had horrible exploding shits, bad skin and coat, and yes, thought they were starving. I tried it on two separate occasions, both ended with bad results. Never will I feed or recommend Diamond dog foods.

4. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

Diamond and Diamond naturals are different..same company but better formulas in the natural products. I dont use them but I know people who have had good success...each dog is different, and I would always feed per the bag recommendations only increasing during workout times. and even at that only by half.
    Just because they will stand there and eat themselves bloated dont mean they should..no kibble will initially go to waste but they will just shit out what ever their bodies dont absorb within the 24 hours or so it takes to digest, after which you would have piled another 2 cups too much of food. My dogs always act like they are starving they get 1.25 cups of dry food, 1 lbs of protein and veggies/fruits and other raw additions occasionally...their weight is perfect and they look and act healthy so I really dont care if they are still acting hungry.;)

5. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Haha, briar. I know what you mean. I always call it "lying" that they didn't eat. My cat even does it. He "lies" that he doesn't get any treats to my guests. :)

What I was refering to was the Diamond Naturals.

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Usually something like this can be traced back to the dog not getting what they need from the feed, Good feed that the dog absorbs alomost everything out of they will eat less and food that most everything is turned to crap they will need more and in turn will shit like a bear.

With that said a question I have is are the dogs very active?

But I have a feeling you need to change the feed and get them on something where they are getting more out of it.