1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Moving an indoor pup onto an outdoor chain set up

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by GrChHaunch, Sep 2, 2022.

1. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

First thing: I am NOT permanently moving my dog outdoors. She will still be a 90% indoor pup, but I want to be able to leave her outside for short to eventually medium periods of times.

Right now, at 11 weeks, we go outside, and after playing with her for 5 minutes I will leave her out by herself for 5-6 minutes at a time to get her used to the back yard. She is pretty much at the door crying to get in but eventually, say by he time she is 10 months or so....old enough to deal with any feral cats, I want her doing 2 or so hours. I check on her through the window. I used to use kennels but I have had insane dogs eat through chain link fences and I think this pup might be another crazy one.

So I want her on a tie out set up. The set up will be secured to a heavy steel reinforced post holding up a roof. I moved adult dogs to this set up no problem. However my 11 week (tomorrow) old pup is just starting to leash train and is still biting at the leash.

So that is my question: Should I just hook her up and leave her for a few minutes (gradually building up time...like I said, not long because we have cats) and let her bite at the chain (which I am sure she will do) or should I have her leash trained first so she has learned to not bite at the leash, and therefore will be les likely to bite at the chain?

2. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

I would leash train first. The dog is only 2 1/2 months old. If she bites the chain she might chip her teeth.

3. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

Who gives a fuck they are milk teeth, and better to chain break with those in her mouth than to wait for her to be grown and have chipped adult teeth.

Canon bone (beef leg) in their mouth and it’s “Chain?What chain? I don’t notice a chain”

Ssdd likes this.
  4. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

Smack an axle in, hook her up, give her a bone so big she creams herself and walk away. And stay away. For the whole day. Be invisible. Put in earplugs if you have to. Within 12 hours you will have a chain broken dog. This is basic shit that you should know.

Are we going to have to baby walk you through this dog’s first two years?

A-money-kennels, Ssdd and Pollo like this.
  5. Michele

I don't know. For me, I would still leash train first. What I would do while leash training is every time she goes for the leash, give her something else to bite (bone, etc.) If she does break a tooth, yes, it is a milk tooth but you don't know if there would be more damage than just the break.

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Truthfully kiwi is correct. Them pup teeth are just temporary first few months. I will tugowar or do bite work with a pup before I do that with a young dog before 2yo. Reason being is pup teeth don't matter adults don't even fully set till about 18m-2y

Michele likes this.
  7. Michele

You swayed me to your side...LOL......

ben brockton likes this.
  8. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Yeah she is already crazy for tug of war. Plus yes, I was figuring that it is better to break baby teeth than adult. In any event I am going to keep working her on the leash. She is 11 weeks to today and I should have her somewhat leash broken by next week. What I will do is have her out and playing for a long time and then when she is getting tired slap on he leash.

Not going to leave her out for 12 hours. Can't have that kind of noise in my hoity toity gated community. I live in a major metro area with 7 million people....I live in an urban environment, not rural. I can't have the HOA and Animal Control out at my house. "This is basic shit that you should know", country bumpkin. Lots are fairly small even for all the million dollar houses.

9. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Good point. She goes absolutely nuts for tug o war. Right now I use a fairly soft chamois, but she shakes it like it is her worst enemy. Her adult teeth should be coming in soon, from 3 months to 6 months. I thought I could resume bite work around 18 months, but you are saying wait all he way until 2 years? What about a flirt pole with a chamois, vs a traditional hard rope tug?

10. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Just did some research and found out it is technically illegal to have a dog chained in my community, the law just went into effect recently. However, if pup is quiet I won't get caught. That is why I will never do more than 2 hours. The key is no noise so I have to build her up gradually. I did some research and animal control is not pursuing the chain law....they only get aggressive if here is noise. I have many Karens where I live so I need to stay under the radar.

Sec. 3-14. - Unreasonably noisy animals.

SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS
    (a)

It is unlawful and declared a nuisance for any owner or person in control of an animal to allow the animal to bark, growl, howl, whine or make any other sound loud and long enough to unreasonably disturb the peace of other people on the same, adjoining or nearby property.

(b)

Prior to filing a complaint with the city, the person having been disturbed by an animal must give written notice to the owner of the animal that the animal's conduct has disturbed his peace on more than one occasion. A copy of the written notice must be presented to the city at the time of filing the complaint.

11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

If you're putting the dog on cats it's very doubtful that any hardware is going to play any significant factors lmfao

GrChHaunch likes this.
  12. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Update: Tori is doing fantastic....zero house accidents last 3 days, biting still an issue, but she is biting much less hard so that is progress. She loves tug o war, but as her adult teeth start coming in that will be reduced. Any good tips for exercise? Hand walking is OK but I am limited in terms of how far I can walk. I have a bike but she is too young to be run on the bike. She also will not be cleared to go out front for 2 more weeks.

Going to start doing some fetch/retrieval work. I have no water close by for swimming. although she is great riding in the car.

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The flirt pole is the most under rated tool in the shed.

It takes about $10 to make the nicest one in the market. It will last longer than any of your dogs. It takes very minimal space. And most every puppy will use it, and just about all of those will put in freak work to catch it. (plus they are playing a game which the most valuable return of all is that is imprints 'work ethic' into a 8-10-12 week old puppy with the best part being they don't know you are actually tricking them into being a working dog)

If the topic were delved into deeply and things like cost and space and time and overall effectiveness (return on investment) are factored, it may very well be the very best tool in the shed.

I can't think of any other tool that can deliver so much for so little.

S

brindle, GrChHaunch and Ssdd like this.
  14. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Yep....was going to make one but just bought one for 28 bucks, free shipping instead.

15. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

For whatever reason the factory ones seem to have a longer string between the pole and the hide/toy/rope.

I use a 10ft. piece of 1/2" PVC pipe with a hole drilled in the end. I tie a short piece of 1/8th inch cord thru the hole and around one of the cheap toy ropes. The gap between the pole and the rope is only a couple three inches.

I get more control of the prey item and can get that sharp/mis-direction turn that uses just about every muscle in the body.

S

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Try a livestock whip from TSC. All you need to do is attach the Hyde. Pretty much indestructible. Light weight a good amount of flex when they catch. Best flirt I ever used.

GrChHaunch likes this.
  17. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

At what age do you start working your dogs/pups on the flirt pole, slim?

Will give that a try. Just bought one from Amazon for 28 bucks delivered. My girl has not had one pee/poo accident in the last 3 days, since her birthday, Friday. Still bites but she has modulated her pressure greatly. She is coming along great. Recall is excellent, going to start her on more obedience work this week. She is learning to stay and hold already. If she gets hold of a shoe she lets go on command, very impressive for a dog her age and temperament. Her drive is still exceptional, just need to keep her as active as possible. Just might have a good one here.

18. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Update: He took to the chain 100% effortlessly. All I did was about 5-10 minutes of leash training for 2-3 days and then put him on the chain. Started him at 5 minuets then extended the time. He did not bite it once or make any noise.

Michele likes this.
  19. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

He or she :-?

ben brockton likes this.
  20. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Oops, good catch...she is non binary....just kidding, I hate that stupid term. My wife calls her "the little bitch."