1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My dogs coat looks out of condition

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tyke, Feb 15, 2011.

1. tyke

tyke Pup

Hi i have a black dog whos coat in the past has gone from black to reddy black to black again its now turned really light in places as if the colour has been drained out especially round his neck,he is still black along his back,i feed him a raw diet with olive oil and cod liver oil what do people think could be the problem?any advice cheers tyke

2. supertank

supertank Big Dog

Is he getting his summer coat, dont know why but had black dogs once that did this now I have a black cat that turns red/brown until winter.

3. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

Numerous if not all dog's coat's color can change depending on mother nature (the seasons of the year). I don't think I have heard of olive oil as a supplement but for my girl I use organic flax seed oil or organic coconut oil. Is the coat just looking dull or your skeptical about the change in color?

4. noodles

noodles Pup

go get yourself some Sunflower oil (health store). Give 1 Tsp daily on food. give it a couple weeks.

5. tyke

tyke Pup

thanks for the replys

6. spliff

spliff Big Dog

give him a raw egg{shell and all} a couple times a week.it will give his coat a nice shine.

7. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Sounds like he is just shedding. Some black dogs' coats will lighten up right before the shed. Especially around the neck. Once they are done shedding the coat will come back in nice and dark. You could also add some Dog Bloom VM Supreme vitamins to your dogs freed. They work wonders on a dogs coat. Olive is an excellent supplement for dogs.

8. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

What does his diet consist of?
    A good quality kelp/seaweed does a good job keeping colors dark.
    Skin/coat are some of the first things to improve with a good raw diet.
    If you are feeding rice/grains/pasta I would suggest cutting them out.
    Color can fluctuate with season/shedding as has been suggested. However, coats usually look good on a well-balanced raw diet come hell or hight water.

9. My male's coat change's light red before he starts to shed, Then back to jet black.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

ditto !!11

11. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i had 3 staffords from the same faimily .they all looked black.till the son shone on them . they were all different depending on the strength of brindle !!!1

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

can you get a pure jet bkjack stattord ?

13. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

I agree, it sounds like he's just blowing his winter coat.

14. DutchGame

DutchGame Big Dog

He could be blowing his winter coat, or if it´s an outdoor dog it could be because of the sun. Sunlight will affect the hair of anything living by turning it lighter. I mainly notice it with people and dark horses (alot of them in the fields out here), but it affects outdoor dogs or dogs who are alot in the sunlight for any reason as well.

15. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

mine's shedding also, looks like crap. he just turned a year old, so he's gettin all the winter puppy coat off.
    [​IMG]