1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on SBT/APBT

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Herodog1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not sorry....;)
    I was just out running with my little SBT today and was thinking he is a really fit dog, then I gotta thinking about some debates I have read on here regarding SBT v APBTs and all the abpt owners always seem to say a sbt wouldn't last more than a few minutes with these game dogs as they lack fitness and wind.
    So my question is this, If a sbt was conditioned the same as an apbt by the same dogman and was matched to a apbt of the same weight who would come out on top and why.
    Real explanations wanted and no wise cracks if you can help it.

Thanks

2. hmots

hmots Big Dog

No wise cracks??? you came to the wrong place .Just Kidding ..

Its realy a subjective Question ..The staffs Ive seen lately are LB for LB just as capable as any APBT Ive ever owned or met.Not saying that Ive seen em all but been in apbt's my whole life.I now own two and my brother owns one Staff,they are from great dogs and are amazing.With that said most ,meaning the higher % of staff's are from show bred stuff not the pups Ive been around lately.I looked far and wide to find the type of staff I was looking for,not an easy task.
    Alot o guys on here believe that an APBT is a superior breed I dont ..just more plentifull but in that reguard I believe that the largest majority of apbt's are no more fit for the ring [] than my Jack Russle.Are there more Working APBTS than staffs?YES , Does it hafta be ,NO there is still capable blood in the Staff people just hafto breed to reinforce it.Unfortunatly that is not the way the breed has been headed in the past 20 or so years.RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG!if you breed them do it with the future of the breed in mind.

david63 likes this.
  3. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

Herodog1, a fit stafford isnt necessarily a dog that wouldve won a match against any breed. if you look back and read many of the threads on here, few of us believe staffords are more than capable.

if a stafford is conditioned, assuming he is worth conditioning against any conditioned apbt worth conditioning of similar weight, you could definately have a good match. who would win? the dog that desires it the most. not all dogs that win are the only ones worthy, but the ones that crossed the line without hesitation everytime-anytime.

david63 likes this.
  4. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

I guess I'd have to ask how far ya runn'n? I'd say get on a bicycle so your actually workin the dog, then get the dog to pull your bike when you run out of steam then see were it is for shape! A human runn'n and a dog at a slight gait is no work for a canine. Your not challenging the dog unless your Mr. Armstrong then maybe.

5. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

I know this didn't answer your question butt...just try it.

6. coach

coach Big Dog

I have both.....I have had both.....BotI just use history as a guide.If recent history prevails say 20 years....I can name and look to some unbelievable bulldogs that are known for well what they do...I see this with some Staffords but it is far less in numbers.What is the most famous matches in which a SBT met APBT...if a SBT is/was as capable then wouldnt we hear about it more often?I know the obvious dogs out there but it is far far less.

7. hmots

hmots Big Dog

Definitely in fewer numbers.And if you take your run of the mill stafford put him through the paces n throw him in w a game bred bulldog he's not gonna hold up.But in contrast take your run of the mill apbt and do the same,you'll have the same outcome.There are good n bad in both unfortunatly fewer people are working or breeding working staffs nowadays.as stated by 12guage a fit dogg does not a capable dog make...but that goes both ways

8. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

your average show type stafford would fall apart if put through a keep. there are those bred for working ability that will fair better, not at the level of the top pit dogs but they can be competative with B grade dogs i would say. not that many of the real type around though, its a shame.

9. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

reality is begining to set in.......russia, e.europe, m.east, f.east, s.america even US dont run them.

100 years ago the english pitdog were exported all around the globe as world beaters. But times change and so do dogs. What happen to UK dogs is starting to happen to US dogs. Pitdogs need competition to evolve. Can you imagine breeding greyhounds but theory rather than track. Pit dogs and civil society dont mix. They are like mushrooms......best kept in the dark.

10. hammer head you are right about breeding greyhounds (theory) they do this its called a show greyhound...and the fastest one of them would be half a track behind a slow track dog...i don't think people realize that the SBT is a show dog, just a very small number got matched in England in the 1970s and 1980s...no body kept a game tested strain since the time they became a show dog...what people are using as working SBT is dogs they picked out from show dog lines and bred best to best...but top quality pitbulls have a non broking lineage from the time they came over to the USA from Europe... its like taking Amstaffs and starting from there

11. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

WOW,
    Great response guy's. Thank you. 7mmrowland I will try the bike thing, and what is a keep, forgive my ignorance.

Keep the replies coming.

Thanks all....

12. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

a keep is a training program, usually 8 or so weeks of hard graft to put a dog in top shape. it takes a sound dog to even get through a keep.

13. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hi Sunbeam,

Have you any examples of a good keep?
    Thanks

14. jacko

jacko CH Dog

use the search button and you will seek what your after...........

15. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks jacko

16. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hey jacko,

Tried the search box and found nothing? Any ideas?

Thanks

17. Just an example what I found on internet:

FINKLE WINKLE'S KEEP

DURING THE YEARS INVOLVED IN THIS GREAT BREED I WORKED MANY TIMES A DOG TO HIS TRUE WEIGHT AND BEST SHAPE POSSIBLE, AND I MADE MANY MISTAKES AS WELL, BUT I GUESS, WITH THE MISTAKES IN MIND, THE KEEP WHICH I'LL SHARE WITH YOU'LL, IS A PROVEN ONE, IN THE BEST SENSE OF THE WORD, SINCE THIS SIMPLE KEEP DELIVERED ME, MANY A WINNER, WHOS NOT SELDOM, WINNING OVER THE OTHER ENTRY DUE TO THEIR BETTER SHAPE.

FIRST YOU MUST WORM YOUR DOG, 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE PRE-KEEP STARTS, CLIP HIS TOENAILS AND GIVE HIM A WARM BATH AND WASH HIM GOOD WITH JODIUM-SCRUB.

GO TO THE VET AND LETS CHECK THE DOG OUT, LIVER / KIDNEYS / BLOOD / STOOL,
    LETS CHECK IT OUT GOOD, IF THE DOG IS HEALTHY, THE GREEN LIGHT IS ON,
    IT'S TIME TO CONDITION YOUR DOG NOW.

CHANGE HIS DAILY FEED TO THE USE OF A DRY-FOOD, SPECIAL MADE FOR THE NEEDS OF CANINE SPORTING ANIMALS, I MYSELF, USE EUKANUBA PREMINIUM, WORKS GOOD FOR MY DOGS. GIVE THE DOG, EXCEPT SHORTLY AFTER HIS DAILY WORKOUT,
    ALL THE FRESH WATER HE'LL DRINK, DAY AND NIGHT.

PRE-KEEP - SO SIMPLE, 6 TIMES A WEEK
    1ST WEEK

* 1 HOUR HANDWALKING, ON A LONG LEASH, IN A GOOD HARNESS,
    WALK ON DIFFERENT TYPES OF SOIL, GRASS, DIRT ROADS, HILLS.
    AFTER EVERY WORKOUT,
    * A 20 MINUTES RUBDOWN,
    * FEED AND WATERING AFTER THE RUBDOWN AND
    * REST THE DOG, YES THAT'S ALL.

* GIVE HIM ONE DAY OF NO WORK AT ALL, AND DON'T RUB HIM AS WELL,
    ON SUCH A REST DAY, YOU'LL ADD SOME LESS FOOD TO HIS FEED PAN.

2ND WEEK

SAME O SAM O, ONLY 1 1/2 HOURS OF WALKING NOW, THAT'S ALL.

NOW THE DOG IS USED ON SOME WORK, WATCH HIM CLOSELY DURING THE WHOLE PROGRESS, IF HE'S LOOKING SORE, TIRED, ETC., DON'T HESISTATE TO REST HIM AN EXTRA DAY.

WE GONNA START NOW WITH 2 WEEKS OF BUILDING UP THE DOG,
    TO MAKE HIM READY TO STAND THE PRESSURE AND STRESS,
    WHEN WORKED THE 5TH AND HEAVIEST WEEK OF TRAINING.

3RD WEEK

* MONDAY - 5 MINUTES OF TREADMILL, AFTER A HOUR OF HANDWALKING,
    AFTER THE MILLWORK, 15 MINUTES OF HANDWALKING
    * TUESDAY - 2 HOURS HANDWALK
    * WEDNESDAY - 10 MINUTES MILLWORK
    * THURSDAY - 2 HOURS OF HANDWALK
    * FRIDAY - 15 MINUTES MILLWORK
    * SATURDAY - REST DAY
    * SUNDAY - WE'LL START AGAIN.

ADD IN THE 3RD WEEK, 25 GRAMS OF BOILED RICE AND 25 GRAMS OF BOILED MEAT
    TO HIS DAILY DRY FEED AND 2 MULTI-VITAMIN TABS.

4TH WEEK

SAME O SAMO, ONLY YOU'LL ADD MORE WORK TIME LIKE THIS, TREADMILL 20-25-30 MINUTES, AT THE HANDWALKING ONLY DAYS, 2 1/2 HOURS OF HANDWALKING, ADD NOW 50 GRAMS RICE AND 50 GRAMS MEAT TO HIS FEED PAN & THE 2 VITAMIN TABS.

5TH WEEK

THE MOST HEAVIEST WEEK, 3 HOURS HANDWALKING, EXCEPT AT HIS MILLWORK DAYS, TREADMILL 35-40-45, SATURDAY - REST TILL SUNDAY, FEED STAYS THE SAME, IF LOSING TOO MUCH WEIGHT, ADD SOME EXTRA DRY FEED, (Regulate his weight through the feed pan as well).

6TH AND LAST WEEK

10 MINUTES MILL - 1 1/2 HOURS HANDWALKING - 5 MINUTES MILL - 1 HOUR HANDWALKING -
    30 MINUTES HANDWALKING, THEN REST PRIOR TO THE MATCH. AT MATCH DAY
    WALK HIM / HER OUT EVERY 3 HOURS, TO URINATE AND RELIEVE HIMSELF GOOD.

AT THE 14TH DAY OF TRAINING THE DOG MUST BE A HALF KG. ABOVE HIS TRUE SHOW WEIGHT.
    KEEP HIM LIKE THAT DURING THE ENTIRE KEEP.
    THE 2 FIRST REST DAYS AT THE END OF THE 6TH WEEK, DON'T GIVE MEAT / RICE.

LAST MEAL: 24 HOURS BEFORE THE EVENT TAKE HIS WATER AWAY. 12 HOURS BEFORE
    GIVE HIM A HALF LITRE OF BOILED CHICKEN BOUILLON AS HIS LAST DRINK. 12 HOURS BEFORE
    LAST MEAL, 50 GRAMS MEAT, 50 GRAMS RICE, DRY FEED, NO TABS.

I AVOID ALL BITE WORK, JUMPING, HANGING, ETC. ETC.. ALSO STEROIDS I SKIPPED OUT OF A KEEP LIKE THIS SIMPLE ONE, I'LL USE - DEXAMETHASONE / AZIUM
    1cc 48 HOURS BEFORE - 1cc 24 HOURS BEFORE - 1cc 2 HOURS BEFORE,

THIS KEEP BLESSED ME WITH 1 HOUR AND 2 HOUR WINNERS.

Finkle Winkle

18. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks for the info,

19. leo86

leo86 Pup

i am torn between 3 breeds right now.. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier.

20. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

From what I read the real alapaha dogs are very hard to find and you'll find a ton of designer colorful dogs. The stafford tends to be smaller than the apbt so you have to think about convinience.