1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Original Pit Dogs in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by CockneyRebel123, May 14, 2023.

1. I get what you're saying but there was dogs in the deep south of bulldog type that worked the farms. And of course, the breed that was established as the AB is basically a bandog type, some strains with more APBT blood and others with more Mastiff blood.

2. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

American Bulldogs ware developed from large APBT and other breeds , they did not exist before the 1960 , it was just a made up story of white southern bulldogs

3. So, you are stating there was no bulldog types in the deep south before 1960's and of they were they were the APBT?

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

I'am saying no such breed called White english , it was made up by American pit bull dog breeders , later called American bulldog , no pre 1960s old dog books or magazine mention them , but all extinct breeds have got mentioned why no mention of them ?

5. Maybe, given the location and the circumstances, keeping track of history wasn't their forte? I still I'm almost sure that I've seen pics somewhere of big, white bulldog types pictured on a farm, plantation.

david63 likes this.
  6. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Plantation.
    The so called "Negro dogs" were highly trained dogs to track runaway slaves. Bloodhound,Fox hounds,Scotch staghound,curs and Bulldogs were used for this practice.

Attached Files:

david63 likes this.
  7. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

they ware a huge dog called a Cuban Bloodhound
    [​IMG]

8. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

9. All be dogs off the Spanish.

10. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Yes those Cuban hounds were populair in the times of slavery.

11. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

At here there was once a guy, a dogman, and peddler who'd all kind of dogs, Fila's,American bulldogs, and Argentina doggo's plus pit bulls . With the big dogs he hunted at night at junks and others he found a menace to the hood. They mauled a person regularly to his satisfaction. Can't imagine this nowadays but in that time not too many really missed sleep over this.

david63 likes this.
  12. Regarding terrier influence, here's a scientific study that links the APBT with the terriers of Ireland.

13. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

it looks like nonsense , what does it show ?

14. It shows in the study that the American Staffordshire Terrier is related to the Irish breeds in the study through genetic markers, trace the graph and you'll see it, I'll post a link to the study.

15. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

it nonsense they make them up , it to confuse you ,its meaningless,

16. Come on mate lol, it's a proper scientific study. Why would they make all that up, this study is nothing to do with the APBT, it's a study on dog breeds.

david63 likes this.
  17. The bull type dogs have a common ancestor with the working terriers, there's a clear link there. It's of no surprise really. I think that it's also becoming clearer that the dog breeds that why know them might not be as ancient as we believe barring a few breeds such as the Saluki and Spitz types. Maybe the old tale about the Bull & Terrier types being created for fighting after the banning of Bull Baiting is true and the APBT is the result of Mastiff types crossed with Terrier types? Further reading of the study suggests that breed categorization didn't really kick off until the Victorian times.

18. *that we know them.

Why can't you edit a god damn post?!?!

19. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Can you explain it to me ,, it makes as much sense if you threw a plate of spaghetti on the ground and saying look at that ,,lol... explain how they can get DNA of breeding from a few hundred years back ?