1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

parvo madness

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Lost sammy the blue heeler pup and almost my 3 redboy/frisco pups cause the deer hounds brought parvo to the yard, boris and jane are safe and well but the pups are still on iv and antibiotics they allso put the pups on tammyflu also and there tails are starting to wag again now and might get them back tomorrow! MAKE SURE EVERY DOG AND VISITING DOG HAS THERE SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!NO ECEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

sorry to hear man, but good news that the others are pulling thru

3. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Sounds like a bad outbreak there.

Be sure and get your ground clean as well as everything those dogs came into contact with or it will just be a never ending circle and end up costing you many a dog and lots of money.

4. 1503bulls

1503bulls Big Dog

good luck just lost some pups maself....
    first ones i tried that parvaid w/ iv lines and
    this other time lost a few more and its bad right now,,got 3 pups recovering..
    ive heard that tamiflu works really good.... once they start eating a lil and drinking on they own , they should pull through....

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive heard some things about pedialyte helps keep them hydrated and helps them pull through. is there any truth behind this?

6. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

Sorry hear, I pray they pull through. Good luck.

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear that. did the same thing to myself a couple of years ago. had a heavy redboy litter on the ground and picked up a 'pick' puppy from a breeding. supposedly had all his shots but within two days the pick is running around wide open and the other litter is dropping like flies...spent $$$$ and saved one....kicked myslef in the ass for not ensuring the shots were done prior to bringing him home...
    i cloroxed/bleached everything they came in contact with, even burned the dog house ( more so for my peace of mind)....good luck...s.

8. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Bleach everything. I hope the dogs pull through.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks for the info folks! I get the female back today. What is a good starter back to health diet for a six month old parvo healing pup? Can food? Chicken cooked and pureated? I pick her up in 2hours, I will ask what they have her eating now too!

10. luge

luge Big Dog

what are the symptoms you have benn experiencing buck if you dont mind me asking

11. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

just feed her what you normaly would she will eat as she needs

12. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh she might have some stomach upset and such, Might want to put her on a soft diet and feed her smaller amounts for the time being. Never can go wrong with nice chicken and some good rice and then maybe follow up later with a small amount of a good quality soft dog food and then maybe in a week you can try her on some moistened kibble and then get her back on her regular feed, Key is keep getting her back to normal portions and feed slowly so you don't over whelm her stomach.

Reason I say feed her smaller amounts is you run the risk if she eats to much that she might throw it right back up or maybe start running off at the bowels. Treat it like you would after you have had a bout of the flu, You never want to sit down to a big meal for a while because if you do you start feeling sick again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  13. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well it does have the electrolytes in it which is good when trying to keep them hydrated. As far as that in particular making them pull through I can't say I would go as far as that.

With Parvo you have to treat the individual symptoms as they pop up and you always have to keep them hydrated, This is more than likely why you have heard this. Most folks will just grab a bottle of that and it will keep them hydrated which is a major factor in doctoring a dog with parvo.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

so lets say i had a litter struck with parvo (i dont, nor do i ever plan to) but if that did happen and i needed to home remedy what would the products consist of along with the iv tube and pedialyte?

15. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

if the dog cant keep food/water down.

mix some save a calf warm if on the stove, take the needle off a syringe and inject the save-a-calf into the rectum(pups only) till they can keep solid food down. calfmanna works aswell.

this also works when they ahve cocci.

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

up the rectum? what does this do? send the nutrients straight to the stomach?

17. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

You take the pups to the vet.

18. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

it keeps em from barfin(food/water) it back up & puts fluids,vitamins,protiens,ect back into the bloodstream through absorbtion.
    This works if you dont know how to use lactated ringers, or cant hit a vein.

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

first off i wouldnt need to because i wouldnt be having any parvo outbreaks in the first place, why? cuz i wont be doing anymore breeding for quite sometime. and if i was i would be sure to bleach/sanitize everything they would be in contact with from ceiling to floor and including the property! and they wouldnt be in contact with any other animals than theyre mother until they are fully vaccinated!
    inly reason im askin is for the educational purposes anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

some food for thought :cool: