1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

parvo madness

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

well no doubt I would take it to the vet. i aint tryin to play dr giggles or nuthin.but im just askin what the folks do THAT DONT take em to a vet. what theyre remedy is and how successfull it is.

and simms,
    im not sayin that vaccine will COMPLETELY prevent the dog from parvo, but its the most you can do right?
    and i didnt know that fully grown dogs can get it, my dogs are 2 & 3 yrs old. can they still comedown with parvo?

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

we had a 1.5 year old, blue healer die from it! but even vac.ed dogs can get it yes! but you lower the chances with the vacs.

3. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

ive had grown dogs with it but it passes it lots better.

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

when theyre older do they have more of a chance to beat it?

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'm pretty sure cause i've had Boris 5 years brought to Calgary and Ontario,& Quebec. Dragged all over the map for 5 yrs! Never once had his shots at all! never ever got sick once in his life and beat the parvo outbreak at my place no problem .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it depends on the condition of the animal the interaction it had with the disease and infected animals.

I have mine on chain spots, always clean and fresh water & food.

But still 5 0ut of 8 got sick. Just the luck of the draw I figure. The dogs that brought it to my yard were unaffected by the parvo! Not a sign they had, were, or were about to get sick. so not sure what to tell you brother!:o

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

damn parvo some scary shit! lol

7. hey BUCK E. OWENS sorry to hear. i have your 3 redboy/frisco pups littermate.. and my pup just pulled throught parvo.. hopefully yours will to.. best of luck to you

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Ya they said if they were younger (like 12 weeks or 4 months) the chances would of been more likly they would of died, the vet said.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

How is your pup doing? Havn't heard from you in a while!

10. pup is back to his old self.. PM me ill tell you more bout him

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

So very true! they recommended; Chicken, no fat, boiled and long grain rice, and electrolytes for 2 weeks,with or without chicken brooth( which was great for the one male who would not eat for almost 9 days) then chicken boiled and rice and kibble in 3 equal parts (with or without chicken broth) for the following 2 weeks back at the house after vet treatment for 8 days. there stomach will still be raw for a while, and soft is best. just like you said.;)

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

{Most likely boot contamination or loose hounds caused house dog and 3 pups to get sick, still interacting with the ("untied sonofabitch" Jerry the hunting hound!) was a dog house flousy and every time i came home from work i would have to haul his ass out of there dog houses and put him in him. but every nite the deer hounds were at my place(2 weeks) he was in a different house and the dog chained to that house was out side lookin in lol ......but like i was saying he is the most likely reason for contamination with my dogs. (because the pups play with the mofo and so did Sami the house dog}

Isolation only works for controlled spreading of a disease if all dogs are tied lol........ including social pets and hounds!!!!
    :o

13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Another thing to is if you doing the clean up for these sick pups remeber to disinfect yourself and you clothes/gear.

YIS

14. Sox

Sox Pup

A mate of mine's dogs have parvo at the moment so I have been up there giving him a hand. In addition to most of what was said earlier we also use primperan to try and stop/prevent them vomiting. I've even taken the shit and it works.

15. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Parvos been everywherre lately my good man Mr. freed his litter I think died from Parvo it was about 7 or 8 in the litter nice ped and all it was horrific

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

My bill For the 3 Redboy/ Frisco pups, and what they used and i got charged for, pretty much..... IV's and Tamiflu 75mg, and electrolites to stop the dehydration, and i think they used 2-3 bags of I.V. per pup Buck-shot was the worst then Yerik and then Dixie(Sashanka).
    [​IMG]

17. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

hell you should have went to vet school it about would have been cheaper....lol

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing!!!!!

I forgot to mention the ammilosilin too(sp?) for the secondary infections. And they eat chicken and rice , 2 tbsp's every 2 hours till better could be a week after parvo trea ment to 2 weeks after treatment till they are on a normal diet of kibble and then even they say, mix with warm water for a bit till there guts heal.

Parvo turns there guts to a scabby mess the lining disappears and has to re-grow, so imagine that when you feed the dog or pup a bowl of kibble and there wolfin it down . "feed small amounts, soft, often" and you can't go wrong pulling them threw the Parvo.

19. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

First sign of Parvo, hunched back, stiff back legs, and lowered shoulders , drool on chin messy look to them! (BHK's Buck-shot 1st day with Parvo)

[​IMG]

and these are when i got them back from the vet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Keep in mind there 6 month old in the pic, they look like 4 months old there so thin!

Lost half their body weight easy!