1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Safe age.....

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by B-I-Z, Jul 22, 2004.

1. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

My pups 5 months old now and was wondering if it would be ok to get him started on the spring pole? I dont want to risk him getting an overbite or anything.

2. trba

trba Pup

if your dog is geneticly predispositioned to has overbite nothing is going to help you to fix it, neither spring polenor anything else.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2004
  3. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

umm...wtf....you misunderstood me :D

I was saying I dont want his teeth to get messed up from tugging on the spring pole

He doesnt have an overbite now....

4. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

[​IMG]
    IMO, Any age is fine to start with the spring pole, if it long enough for the pups/dogs back legs to touch, so he/she dosnt fall and hurt himself... But if they want to play on it, let them!! Its a wonderfull game to strengthen cheek, neck, and back muscles....

5. trba

trba Pup

ok I see, my bad. like grchpitbitch said any age is ok but do not overdo couse teeth are not set yet in the jaw.

6. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

I only use those types of excercises on young dogs, nothing over 12 months of age. Messes up their ivory.

7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I'd recommend a flirt pole over a spring pole.....and its funner for you and the dog IMO...

BB

8. Marty

Marty Guest

bb you got link to show what they look like?

9. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

No, but I can describe what I use....get a long thin, but sturdy and flexible piece of PVC pipe, run a decent rope through it with a couple extra feet past the end, at the end attach a piece of hide, towel, or whatever your dog will chase. What I do is attach my dog to a long long long rope lead secured to a tree or such, let him chase the hide/towel and just when he gets to it, flip it away from him...its alot of fun, occassionally let the dog get it, make sure you keep interest in it, have fun getting it away. Its a blast for the dog and for you, and will help get your dog into very nice shape.

BB

10. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

so you hold it in your hand?

11. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Yes, you hold it in your hand, kinda like a fishing pole...and your dog will chase after the towel/hide, just when your dog is about to catch the towel/hide, you flip the pole so that the towel/hide flings outta reach. Purdy fun.

BB

12. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

yeah thats what I figured, I'll have to make one later thanks for the info :cool:

13. dbraun

dbraun Pup

What's happening BBK, if I might add a little to your posts... you want to use schedule 80 pvc because anything less will bend. Also make sure you get a 10 foot section, this allows you to works out diffrent sides of the dog easier and will keep him / her from cutting so hard in the turns which can possibly hurt him /her.

Home depot does not carry sch 80 pvc but Lowes does if you have one close.

14. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

well wouldnt you want it to bend a lil? so you could snap it back quick?

15. dbraun

dbraun Pup

Sorry let me rephrase that. Anything but schedule 80 will bend to the point of breaking. Sch 80 is the only thing that will maintain itself.

16. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

oh ok I see

17. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

DBraun is right, you want good PVC that won't break, but you do want it to be flexible enough to bend. I myself use a 8ft section tho...

BB

18. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

Yes, you hold it in your hand, what i used was a long fishing pole and used a good strong thin string at the end of it, tied a little rag at the end.And let your dog chase it, but don't hold it real high because my dog has landed in some painful looking ways. Just move it across the ground and before he can get it move it around him, the flirt pole is not for tug-o-war or him pulling on it, when he grabs it though just put it down and let him bite on it for a while, because if you try and pull it then they will deff not let go.

19. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

Based on my experiences. It's better for your pup to first try to enjoy flirt pole than the spring pole. It's hard to explain but i tell you its not a good thing for your dog to start a spring pole at an early age.

YIS

20. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

yep. you can seriously injure a pup or even a dog on a springpole. Back, teeth, legs..

most dogs seem to take to a flirtpole right away ..more so than a springpole anyway (of course theres always the exception) another reason I like the flirtpole better is a springpole is on the list of "Mr Snitche's how to tell if your neighbors are raising fightin dogs"

interaction with your pup at thisstage is critical