1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

salmon oil

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by KilaDaKilla, Sep 1, 2006.

1. whats the purpose of using it and how do i administer it? oh and where can i find it? i heard it's for dry coats? my pups coat is dry and i think it might be from her feed. i feed her canidae all stages but in the middle of switching to diamond puppy for small breed (blue bag).

2. Suki

Suki Guest

It's typically used for a dog's skin and coat to help relieve/allievate dryness. You can mix it right into their food. It's a natural source for omega 3 essential fatty acids. And "typically it's 1 tsp for 1-25lbs, and 2 tsps for 26-50 lb dogs, SID, or, one time daily.
    Pet supply stores should carry it, and some distributers have it tested (by a licienced 3rd party) to be sure it's been tested and free of toxins and/or "heavy" metals.
    Hope this helps.:)

3. are there any known side affects to using salmon oil? are there any downsides to supplementing such an oil?

4. Suki

Suki Guest

I, personally, have not heard of any known side effects. Someone else here may have heard/seen otherwise. Tho, as in all things, moderation is key, so use only as directed. I would advise calling your vet, voicing your concerns and see what he/she recommends, based on the condition of your dog.

5. gator

gator Big Dog

I haven`t heard of any adverse side affect but I do know that a lil egg and peanut oil would work wonders on a dogs coat if that is the only problem you are experiencing. If it is a skin condition you should see your vet unless there is one here on the site.

6. FLpits

FLpits Big Dog

if u have a sam's club around go get fish oil caps for 6 bucks and theres around 400 caps. break the caps put it into the food at dinner time, its very good for there skin. my mom gives it to her mastiff's one or two caps everyday.

7. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

That's what I do, I buy the stuff made for humans, it is MUCH cheaper. I either hide the capsules in their food or poke a hole in the capsule & squeeze it on their food. Salmon oil is very good not only for their coats but also for their heart. It is very high in the omega's 3 & 6

8. I thought my dog had a dry coat when I first got her. A buddy of mine told me to add a raw egg about once a month to shine and make her coat soft. I decided to add an egg once every 2 weeks or so to her food to speed up the process and it worked perfect. It got her coat really soft and shiny in a couple months and now I only add an egg about once a month to continue the process.

9. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Good deal. Once a month aint gonna do jack really.. LOL.. It wouldn't hurt to feed your dog some eggs twice a week.

10. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

Is there a difference between the salmon oil and fish oil as far as ingredients. I haven't seen any salmon oil around but have seen it recommended. Also, are eggs good for the skin too or just the coat?

11. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Supposedly salman oil has more omega's, I have used both & had good results with either. Eggs are good for the dog all around.