1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry....but you are getting a whack for that one...

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by GrChHaunch, Aug 26, 2022.

1. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

So the consensus is to only use positive reinforcement for training a dog. And yes, it is true, if you hit your dog only bad things happen.

My new female pup (10 weeks) is proving harder to train than most (my 5th game bred pit bulll I raised indoors....last one was completely housebroken in a week).

She is a biter, and usually I yell "no" and rediredect her, no punishment. Well yesterday, while sitting in my lap she bit through my shorts into my dick....well sorry, but I lost my temper and gave her a whack. OUCH!

Of course since she has been hand shy so I have been giving her lots of petting and love. Took her in the car to the vet today and she was excellent. I needed that because she has still been having a few accidents in the house (despite meticulous crate training....like I said I usually have dogs housebroken in a week) which has been trying my patience. She is good in my bedroom, but still seems to think the living room is an out door toilet so there is more work to do.

2. Pullingcovers

Pullingcovers Top Dog

I had a pup give me a few extra piss holes

3. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Yeah....hopefully she will get better. Never had a dog with this much biting problem. Of course she is just 10 weeks.

4. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

The instant you feel your puppy's teeth touch you, give a high pitched yelp. Then immediately walk away from him. Ignore him for 30 to 60 seconds

Michele likes this.
  5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I have never disciplined my dogs but they listen well. About the only thing I have ever done is raise my voice and it's always worked on my Bulldogs but I've never beat them . Now my Jack Russell's man you can throw all that shit out the window .

david63 and F.W.K. like this.
  6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

My Bulldogs mind as well as a child in most cases .

F.W.K. likes this.
  7. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Agreed. This will work as long as you are persistent.

F.W.K. likes this.
  8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I was lucky and had a mentor close by and only time he liked a geeked up dog was in the box after that he wanted calm dogs . So I have always had his blood around and now I am more heavier on his blood than my own.

9. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

I had a guy living near here who corrected his dogs always with a heavy hand. The dog he had from Ricky Jones didn't take it and he ended up in the hospital twice because of that dog. Case of karma IMO.

ben brockton and bamaman like this.
  10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Well you just let them be what they are and spoil them. They know when it's time to go lol

11. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Yes...this is the consensus among most dog training experts and has worked for me in the past. What I do is yell NO or yelp and redirect her onto a chew toy. I had a female who was pretty bad, she was inbred and pretty insane. She is the one who ate through her kennel at 13 months and jumped on my male who nearly killed her. When I got home she was on the bottom stilll fighting not showing one bad sign, even though she had taken a lot of damage. This dog is worse. Still having indoor accidents. I am going to have to use some negative reinforcement on her. When she bites I am being more physical in re-directing her. I have never caught her pissing/shitting in the house although I do take her out and praise her for going every few hours. She is doing 6.5 hours straight in her cage at night, so that is good.

However, if I catch her going in the house she is going to get a loud earful and will have her nose held about 2 inches from the accident. This is only as a last resort and I will still use lots of praise when she goes outside as she is supposed to.

I picked her because she had the most drive of any pup in the litter. I just need to get her under control. She is also extraordinarily affectionate and cuddly, my wife loves her.

12. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Nothing good comes from hitting your dog. Having said that, hitting something biting my dick was an automatic response, not something I made the decision to do.

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

You can also pinch the dog between the toes. It hurts like shit but will not cause any damage. It only takes a couple times for them to associate their behavior with the pain. It serves the same purpose but does not require hitting the dog.

S

kiwidogman likes this.
  14. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Might try that...just need to be sure it is in time to associate with behavior.

15. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Without a doubt. Timing is everything.

S

16. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

What in the call Ceasar Millan did I just read?

17. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

You read "The dog bit my dick" thread.

18. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Yeah when you use crunchy pb they try to chew the crunchy parts lmfao

19. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

On a serious note...

I've trained multiple dogs in my life. Some require a heavy hand some do not.

If you find old videos of "blondi" you'll see about the best trained dog ever. Read the book by who trained her it'll make you sick to your stomach. But the results are impossible to deny.

Up until the hippies started "training" dogs it was about breaking their spirit and making them accept you're the boss not their equal with treats and love.

To each their own and I'm not saying every dog that digs needs the hole filled with water and half drowned in it every day for a week. But some just may.

david63 likes this.
  20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

It's in the eye of the beholder what he feeds .We choose characteristics we like .It's all up to the breeder .Hole diggers and chain biters are most of the time a taught behavior from a young dog watching a older dog. I've saw it to many times. If you got one don't put him where your young dogs can see them.Ive never done treats .

BTK1993 likes this.