1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry....but you are getting a whack for that one...

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by GrChHaunch, Aug 26, 2022.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

You eventually will meet the right dog with a heavy hand.

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Nobody ever thinks they will lol

3. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Well since I don't train bulldogs beyond crate training I reckon I'll be ok lmfao.

The point of my post(which was OBVIOUSLY missed) is there 1,000 ways to skin a cat. Depends on the cat how it needs skinned. Chain biting and diggings holes had absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I said "not every dog that digs need the hole filled with water and half drowned for a week straight" was because it was reference to "Blondi's" training. Not bulldogs or how i handle my dogs.

Im gonna assume you have no idea who Blondi was nor her owner nor who trained her. It's all good Bama. Just don't want to be misconstrued

bamaman likes this.
  4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

100 percent agree with you .

5. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

What I do is always start 100% with positive reinforcement. I' had one dog (out of 5 house raised pit bulls) who was trained completely that way. The others needed varying degrees of "negative reinforcement" a pc way of saying punishment. I only go to punishment when P reinforcement has failed. With this dog I have had to correct her increasingly harder fo biting to yes, having to smack her a few times. Sorry, if you bite hard enough to draw blood and NO! hasn't worked it is going to escalate. However she is coming along (finally) at 10 weeks and 2 days. She stops biting now with a loud "no" pretty much every time., and I just redirect her onto her chew toys. I have now disciplined her for going in the house twice (yelling no several times and bad dog) and forcibly holding her nose putting it an inch from the poop/pee while still yelling at her. She cries and tries to wiggle free, but if she does not eventually get with he program she will lose house privileges. I tried the toe pinch and she yelped and has not bitten me since.

The reality is sometimes you have to get more severe with these dogs, they are just extraordinarily will full. I simply cannot have a dog that bites and or shits in the house, but this dog is finally getting with the program. I see it as simple natural selection: If you want to live a life of luxury in my house you have to get with my program or eventually you will be selected out.

Now I have another issue as my back yard is full of stray cats (and we have a worthless house cat) and she is already starting to approach the cats with no fear. In 6 months that will be fine as honestly I have no problem with her killing these feral cats that have overrun my back yard. Sorry if that sound harsh but if you want to live stay out of my fucking yard. At 10 weeks she will lose, so I am protecting her until she gets strong enough to take them out.

6. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Been some time since I've trained a dog beyond tools of the trade and crating....

But mama dogs don't just ignore them. They nip the shit out of them and shun the bad behavior.... pups have to learn pecking order and place on the food chains. Mama dogs do it by nips. Unless you wanna bite em back and whack or pinch is our equivalent.

The dog I mentioned before was Adolf Hitlers dog, and the training material I "quoted" wad indeed the SS officer tasked with training the dogs. He uses BRUTAL techniques that were so common place not many know how they trained patches as a kid was with his techniques(including holding their face in a mess).... my point was a dowel rod slipped in a rubber hose may be extreme but the psychology behind it does work and is still used just in different techniques.

I got super into obedience/protection training for a spell and had 2 different animals(loosely related) the one REQUIRED a heavy hand the other required a sleeve of saltiness crackers and 30 min before bed to get the same results.

Some kids need a time out some need their ass busted.....

7. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

My crate training technique is "fail proof" here but I would never expect someone else to take it and run with it.

With most things the handler matters as much as the techniques used. What I do may not work for you because you won't do it exactly how I do. Or how you read behavior isn't the same as I do.

If you smack the shit out of them that's your business. I won't say it works or won't. Do what you have to do with you dog to get it to act how you prefer. I can bring all my dogs inside, put then in an above ground, or chain them and they act fine. Show the lame at work with a "pet" how mine walk on a leash they'll lose their minds. But we want different things on our respective walks.

8. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

The last post of my day off ramblings will be anytime you take a working dog and try to make them a pet without allowing them to blow off their natural working drive you're in for trouble.

The same pup that is biting you after some time with a flirt or spring pole or short period on a mill(yes a 10 week old pup and certainly slowly learn a mill if the handler is knowledgeable about the tool and student) will wear that ass out too much to take a dick nibble. Jmo.

9. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Yes, I crate rain my dogs. Crate period is usually and hour an a half sleep cycle, although she is down nearly 7 hours overnight. I amalomost getting a full nights sleep.

I take her out and carry her into the back yard and place her on the grass. She will soon pee and I give her lots of praise and even some petting, especially now since the hand biting is gone. I then encourage her to walk around on the grass for 6-7 minutes or until I get a poop (again she get lots of praise for her poop). I then take her indoors, usually in my room where I can directly supervise her, usually I am on my computer. If she starts to chew/bite something she should not I immediately shift her over to a proper chew toy (I have at least 4 on hand) and will also play some tug of war with her with a red rag saying "good girl" I always give her a loud "good girl" when she chews on a designated chewy and a "NO!" when she goes after a shoe.

I try and give her a full 30 minutes of activity. If she starts running around the room like crazy (I call "the zoomies") I encourage that to saying "Go Tori, Go Tori, GOOD GIRL." The idea is to get her to expend as much energy as possible. Depending on how busy I am I may leave and go train someone (I crate her again) or if I need to get back to work on the computer I will let her stay lose in the room with me (It is a big master bedroom connected to a big master bathroom). She used to sneak off to pee or poo in another room, but has been good fo almost 2 days straight no, I think she is getting under control. I gave her 1 hard correction for a pee, and one hard for a poo, and she seems to have gotten the message. I am not sure if positive reinforcement alone is nigh, they need to get punished a could of times for going indoors. But she seems to have learned.

If tired I will give her "Tummy Time" laying on my stomach while I watch TV and yes I will even let her into the bed to snuggle on occasion. I was always dead set against the bed, but consensus has changed and since she is smaller and I have the time she is going to get a bath every 2 weeks and her treat is some bed time (outside he covers).

10. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

As far as work my primary is to run her on the bike. Tug work, flirt work is great....but a good fast 20 minute plus run hets them tired. Of course you can't do much bike work with a young puppy. Leash training starts next week.

11. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

I stopped at I was on the computer with my dick out

12. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

It was actually in my shorts....but he material was thin.

She has been great all day....out of her cage a lot, very little biting (focused on new chew oy) and no accidents.

13. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

=))

14. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Hey guys, thanks for the tips....she is finally falling in line. She is recalling very well now, coming on command consistently, with no treats or anything. Biting a lot less after some heavier corrections. Had one "accident" the last 2 days. starting to get aggressive w/ cats, which I will curb.

15. chili

chili Big Dog

Finally? Very young pup still. Pups will be pups. They don’t stay that way long so just have patience and enjoy it.

Every mistake a pup makes is a great teaching opportunity and should be treated as such, otherwise the failure is your own and not the dogs.

This isn’t directed at you specifically Haunch but in general… Spend less time on the phone/internet and more time with your pup. you and the dog will reap the rewards!

brindle likes this.