1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Training Advices

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hans_Mitchom, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Hello at all, im thinking about to buy a Pitbull pup in the near future, and i would like to train it for wallrunning and weightpulling. I dont plan to let the dog compete at anything, i just want to have a fit dog in good shape that is healthy and happy.
    Now i have a few questions about how to exactly train a dog for those purposes.

1. What exercises (besides the obvious like weight pulling and jumping) would you recomend?

2. How intense should the workouts be?

3. How long should the workouts be, how much volume is optimal?

4. How many times a week should the dog train, and how much recovery should he get?

5. Can i take him with me for 10 mile runs frequently or is this to much for a dog? Or maybe the other way around and not even enough?

6. And finally at what age should he start with training and in what pace should he progress? How many miles should we jogg at the start and how fast should we add up more? With how much weight should we start and how many pounds should i add from workout to workout? Or should i add weight only every second or third workout? Lots of questions i know, but i want to know what im doing as good as possible.

Nutrition and suplementation advices would be much apreciated too.
    Maybe i should also mention that i dont want to juice the dog up in any case, so that should be considered when it comes to intensity and volume.

Thats it, i hope to get a few good advices, thanks already!

2. Ps if you dont have the time to answer to all those questions, answering to just one is totaly fine :)

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

If you get the puppy at a young age everything needs to be a game for the dog.

If you do nothing more than let him romp and play and chase a ball he will be just fine. You can maybe even tie a rag on the end of a stick and tease him with it. Let him chase it, occasionally allowing him to grab it and 'win' that game.

He thinks he is playing a game and has no idea he is prepping himself for 'work' later in life.

Good luck.

S

crook60 and Hans_Mitchom like this.
  4. Thank you, that sounds like a good start