1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What breeds do you guys consider bully breeds? boxer?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by thunderhead, Nov 28, 2006.

1. just curious what breeds you guys consider bully breeds, and also curuios whats your opinons on the boxer.

thanks

2. Attila

Attila Guest

The Boxer is a good family pet, it can be a good guard dog and also will hunt some wild game. A great companion. Some may call it a bully breed I suppose. I think they are comical and quite the dog for their owners. in translation I suppose any dog that is part or said to be part bull dog is a bully breed. If they have a standard I call them what they are. A Boxer dog is a Boxer dog. Nothing but that. the American Pit Bull Terrier is just that a APBT and nothing else. There are some muttlings out that probably should be called bully of bluff dogs as they have not developed a standard as of yet. Then there is the low and wide dogs. I don't know what to call them. I feel bad for them though. Poor creatures.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

APBT, AST, SBT, BT, AB, EB, OEB, & the other "new" strains of bulldogs. Some might consider the Boxer to be a "bully breed", but I do not......no more than I would consider the Boston Terrier to be a "bully breed."

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

It depends on who you ask. Breeds generally considered "bully breeds" in the U.S. are:

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
    American Bulldog
    American Pit Bull Terrier
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Boston Bulldogs
    Bull Terrier
    Catahoula Bulldog
    English Bulldogs
    Olde English Bulldog
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Valley Bulldog
    Victorian Bulldog

Some ppl also consider the following breeds bully breeds, while others do not:

Bandogge
    Boston Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Boxer
    Cane Corso
    Dogo Argentino
    Dogue de Bordeaux
    French Bulldog

Hope this helps! :D

5. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I commonly refer to several breeds as bully type breeds, including the boxer. It may be wrong, but I just do.... I also include Bull Mastiffs and Bostons in this group. No, they are not Bull dogs, but they are of the same "type" if you will.

6. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

ALL of these dogs are considered bully breed dogs.
    plus- South African Boerboel, bully kuttta, ca de bou, presa canario, dogo canario, and a LOT more rare breed dogs over seas.

A "bully breed" is any breed of dog that has bulldog blood. If you can trace the dog back and one of the founding breeds used to create it is a bulldog, then its a bully breed.

7. All that breeds have their true roots in our beloved dogs.......

8. ~apbtfriend~

~apbtfriend~ Big Dog

Boxers are good family dogs like Attila Magyar said, but if you want one with a prey drive for protection or hunting get a german bred or a boxer with over seas blood.

american boxer mostly are just companions

9. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Mastiffs led to bulldogs, not the other way around.

10. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I know it is pc to call allot of breeds bully these days, but I didnt grow up like that. APBT are bulldogs to me. Bully bred dogs are the low wide dogs to me. You asked what I call bully bred, and that's it.

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Yup. The molosser breeds came first.

12. ............Some Books tell it that way. However, from my point of view they( Bulldogs and Mastiffs) are two different things, fact is if you read very old literature(15-17 century) you will find out that Bulldogs were always something special. If the giant mastiff wasnt able to tackle the job they send the small Bulldog in and the show could go on. I think Bulldogs are way older than mastiffs, in other words the very most Mastiffs are out of Bulldog-Herdinghound-mixes.