1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

a little advice??

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by DEADGAME14, Aug 19, 2005.

1. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

I was driving down the street the other day, when i seen a old treadmill in someones front yard with free sighn on it.So of course i picked it up and took in into my workshop and stripped it down.then i built a box around it out of some 2bys and plywood.works great and my dogs love it but they will never stop so i only let them run for 10 minutes at a time.I guess im just a worry wart but i dont want them to get hurt.So what i want to know is"is there a good program not neccesarilly conditioning , but a safe time limit to just let them run becouse they love it so much.

2. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

My Dog ran on a tread for 45 minutes straight then we stopped him, he was unconditioned so you could probably build to a half an hour a night.
    GOD BLESS!!!

3. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

well i like to work them up in small bits lets say start them off at 10 mins then work it up 1 min every 2 days untill there up to a safe time like 45 mins
    ps your lucky they love to work a mill most of mine want to fight me over it

4. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

Yep Or Run Them Selves To Death We Have To Take Ours Off Or Some Of Them Because I Think Thye Will Kill Thier Selves They Never Want To Stop Running,...

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Did you take the motor out to make it so the dogs have to turn it, or do you just have him run on it with it going? Just curious. And congrats that you got one who loves to do it, I'm pretty sure the best method for me is to put them in backwards, cuz no matter what he will be turning the other way and running!

6. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Hi, is the mill easy to spin? I like nice 15 min sessions and 5 min walk in between. Some mills do worst to ur dog than good, by wrecking their kidneys. You gotta make sure it spins easily and always empty ur dog out before he runs the mill. Have Fun!

7. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

yes i took the motor out and tightened the mill up so it runs smooth. The dogs do all the work:)

8. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

yeah it runs easily and smooth, almost silent.thanks for the info ill make sure not to feed before he works, i notice it is building there appitite up a little more also.

9. CRD

CRD Big Dog

I also thought of that before. I normally see some old treadmill on the sidewalk and gave me idea on its modifications. I think it's safe for your dog as long you pace and supervise the conditioning.