1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A loose line breeding or out cross?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Thunder98, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

I understand you & what you are asking but just like Saiyagain & Ohiodogg55 stated, there are allot more things about the dog that are more important to be able to set & maintain the standard of your dogs.
    I have everything you have in my dogs with the exception of skull, but still have Maverick . Yet we still have different dogs .
    Allot of people have those dogs.
    I say this to say the same with dogs in the past such as Dibo.
    Patrick dogs have Dibo, Floyd dogs had dibo, Mayfield , Lonzo, Carver,Heinzl ,Lonzo,& so on dogs have Dibo . Not all families but most.
    But after the 3rd generations all families became different from each others based on the different breeders. That's why i & others say this about 3 generations making your own family.
    Once dog men crossed the dibo bloodline & line bred it with others it wasn't Dibo dogs but there own families using Dibo as a part of there own bloodline.
    Meaning they werent stuck on Dibo or having Dibo dogs but the results on what they crossed it with. You wouldn't call Lonzo dogs, boomerang dogs, Stompanato's or Sorrells the same family would you? Yet they all used Dibo the same dog.The all have Dibo in them but are known as completely different families.
    Each of the dogmen may have common likes about the Dibo dog but found new likes from different crosses.
    This is BREEDING & SEEING EACH DOG PERFORM IS WHAT MATTERS & NOTHING ELSE!
    How many turned out? What was the strengths ? What's the weakness? Should I add more of this out cross it out to take some of that out of it? And so on.
    One pup from one breeding don't mean jack! You just can't pick one & know the whole results. And the true % of turnouts.
    I have Bolio, Tombstone ,Butkus , Red Boy & Eli in just about each & every dog I feed these days to include the same % of it as others use yet I have a completely different family than Vise Grip, Hollingsworth & so on.
    The only blood you should focus on is your's.
    No matter what they come off & how they are bred does not matter if they don't work.
    If they do work , they still need to be able to re produce dogs just as good in not better then themselves. If they can't then how good are they after there old or gone?

No matter what you feed & how long you breed then @ some point you will have to out cross them.

So after 3 generations of breeding your Bolio,Tombstone, Butckus dogs will not only be a completely different family from mine & others who use the same blood as you do.
    When you breed two dogs together the like geene's connect to the other like geene's & this is the only thing that matters . But the Further yo get away from the 1st two in the punnett square the less likely you achieve like dogs.
    My dogs turned out much much better adding to that same combo. I'm pretty sure yours will also in time.

Keep them tight & check them hard.

2. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Okay thanks Saiyagin and Ohiodogg I must admit I was caught up on blood lines...Im moving way to fast. I'm going to study my gyps more and go from there. Thanks again for the knowledgeable insight from everyone.

3. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Man thanks Ziggy....I want to talk to you in more detail...I will pm you if it's OK.

4. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

If you still are lost then I'll tell you the 1st lesson I learned & the only thing you need to know about breeding dogs & building a family.

Fire!!!! You can only take 3 dogs with you! Make sure you can breed so don't pick all of the same sex.
    Pick those out of your yard & get rid of the rest.
    Why? Because you need to see each & every dog in each litter to actually know what you feed & truly pick the best in the litter.
    keep @ least the best 2 to be able to line breed your dogs . Just ones leads to inbreeding quicker.

Now lastly draw a line in the sand ,grab a stick & go to work. Hook up a harness & start pulling. Get on your walking shoes & start walking if it's confirmation. Waht ever it is you like start doing it with those dogs.
    If Line breed them more than you inbreed them & you be able to stay on your own yard longer.

That's all it is.

5. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

No problem Sir. Anytime.

6. GhostDawg

GhostDawg Pup

ziggy, being relatively new to the forum I was unfamiliar with you as a member as well as your dogs. Upon reading through many threads and posts by you I can see your fond of letting everyone know with just about every post that you have been breeding 40 to 40 plus years. If only your list of credible hounds were as long as your highly long winded posts then you may just be taken serious as opposed to a scatter bred peddler.

7. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

well dam I thought it was 21 years and ten generations.... how many generations in 40 years?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk