1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A rule of thumb about blue dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by redripper, Feb 22, 2007.

1. redripper

redripper Big Dog

I know alot of folks on here won't breed to blue dogs because they don't think they are true to type game dogs and what not. I understand where the sentiment comes from, but I don't dismiss a dog just based on color.
    When I first started getting into dogs, I must admit, I thought blues were something special. I went out to talk to my uncle about getting a dog, because he had been breeding for decades. His response to me was, "what the hell does color have to do with anything?" I responded that I just thought they looked cool and that they were rare. He of course informed me that they weren't all that rare and that if I hung around long enough I would understand that looks don't make the bulldog, but if I was dead set on it, he'd find me a good one.
    A good rule of thumb he said is, "if they are being bred for color, or money, or they come from unproven dogs, then they are probably curs and you don't want anything to do with them. If two good dogs throw a blue then that dog has just as good a chance as any dog in the litter of being a good dog."
    I don't know, to me it made allot of sense. My uncle bred nothing but game dogs his whole life, and every so often one of his dogs would throw a blue fawn (or fawn bluies according to the adba), and alot of them turned out to be fantastic dogs from what I've been told.
    I know folks that won't breed rednoses because they say so many of the fad breeders a while back ruined the stock, but I think the same rule of thumb applies. You can't judge a dog by it's color.
    By the way...I never did get a blue dog.

Yall tell me what you think.

2. DiMaSaLaNg

DiMaSaLaNg Big Dog

LOL...nice story.

so what did you get instead of a blue one?

3. redripper

redripper Big Dog

A red one, with a black mask and white markings from my uncle. I'm pleased with her.

4. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

A few years ago I had a dog that was off a double bred son of Yellow. The mother was a Norrod dog. My buddy had a 1/2 sister, same sire but the bottom was Alligator. So he bred her to my male, and she had 6 pups, 3 black, 1white w/ a brown spot, a red and tan and a blue and tan.
    I always thought that was weird.
    When I lived in AZ I did see someone with some nice looking blues at a show. They were small and in the best shape of any dog there.

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I don't think color itself has anything to do w/ it, but rather breeding ethics. Blue has been around for Lord knows how long & most blues were "normal" looking dogs. It's only since the fad breeders decided to couple the blue color w/ their non-standard dogs & bred for those 2 items alone (big size & blue color) that blue has become taboo.

As a side note, there is a dog named Kollar's Smokey who was a dark blue brindle. I think he was Yellow bred as well. When I made a point to someone about him being a dark blue brindle, the owner freaked out & took Smokey's pic off his site.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  6. Michele

Michele Guest

ok, what type of ABPT is this? This is my neighbors dog: I'm confused about this "blue" thing....

[​IMG]

7. It appears to have a black nose and looks a bit on heavy/short & stocky side....I would say IMO just another one of those...ya know!
    True blues ARE RARE...they are not bred for color, and they have grey noses.

8. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

Everytime somebody tells me they have a blue apbt I ask to see it, and everytime, I am shown an overweight, and obviously a crossbred mutt. I have never seen a conformation blue (in person), I know that doesn't mean they are not out there, it is just that I have never seen one in person, only a pic or two.

Color means nothing, if all a person cares about is color, then they know nothing.

My rule of thumb is, if I hear somebody say they have a "blue pitbull", theres a 99.9999999999999999% chance they are full of doodoo.

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

It is a genetic impossibilty for a blue dog to have a black nose. I'm sure as you already know, blue is simply the result of the recessive dilute allele acting on a black coat. Since dilute prohibits the formation of ALL black pigment a black nosed blue is impossible. They can have a very dark blue nose, but not a black one.

Here is a pic of one of my dark blue females, Indigo Rose:

[​IMG]

Her nose looks black (in fact SHE looked black in poor light) but I assure you it was blue.

BTW, she was by a black & white dog & out of a red/blacknosed bitch & weighed in at a whopping 40 lbs! So not all blues are big, fat, hoggish monsters bred for color! ;)

10. Michele

Michele Guest

so, if i see a APBT and its nose is grey, most of the time, that's a blue. Thanks....appreciate it..

11. Or as ABK stated "dark blue nose" I tend to call it grey, same difference :D
    but they are never black....not on a true blue!

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

southeastern: Blue, grey, same thing.

Michelle: The dog in the picture you provided was blue & white. But just b/c a APBT has a blue nose doesn't mean it's blue. I've seen blue buckskins, blue fawns, blue sables as well as white dogs who all have had blue noses. ;)

BTW, just for SNG, here is another one of my dark blue females. This is Indigo's daughter, Emmy. She is an even darker blue & provides an even more striking contrast. Like Indigo, her nose looks black & in poor light SHE looked black, but both she & her nose were actually a very dark blue.

[​IMG]

13. Michele

Michele Guest

ok, thanks. BTW, the dog in the pic is stunning....

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I had a blue pup out of my last litter of PonchoXRed Vegas. Poncho is black, Mocha is black and white. All pups are black w/white mrks, but one. She come out light blue as could be. I'll upload a pic of her and let you see her. She'll be a smaller dog.

15. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I wanna see!! I wanna see!!

16. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

I GOT A BLUE...I didnt buy him just cause he was blue, BUT he was the cutest out of the litter and he ran to me right away, so i fell in love...His bro's & sisters were all different colors, blue/white, fawn, brindle, blue/fawn, but Max just happened to be more blue than all the others...But NEways, i love him!!!!

17. I know this, black chicken + white chicken= grey-blue chicken. Hope this helps...lol

18. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

One fish + Two fish = Red fish + Blue fish.....

yea I got it... :D LMFAO

catcher T likes this.
  19. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Neither one of my dog's parents were blue. The father was black/white and the mother was a white cow patch red nose female. My boy was the only blue/seal dog in the litter, the rest were black/seal with white and there was a beautiful all white girl. I knew I had ran into more of a show breeder since the parents were on the larger side and (sire had to be around 65 and mother around 55)
    and just the way he talked about his dogs.
    Back then, I didn't know how to read pedigrees, so he caught me with all the game lines he was showing me from 4th-6th gen and thats what I use to call my dog at first.

Anyway, my intention was to get the solid white female, but the blue male turned out to be the dominant one in the litter and was catchin my eye.
    So I ended up getting him and he's turning out to be a great dog. I wasn't buying into the fad; in fact I didn't know about Gotti and RE's till after I got my dog.

We all know color doesn't make a difference in a bulldog, but the color blue really got put down by all the fad breeders. For some reason, blue and big put together seemed like a great idea. What really sucks is that it makes it even that much harder for people who own blue bulldogs to prove a point.
    I think it's funny that if I would've got one of the black males, I wouldn't be getting so much heat.

My dog is not that big at all, he works constantly, driven, and ready to go. He's bigger than most game dogs, but that's due to show lines. Great confirmation so far and he will be showing up in the ADBA ring. His first fun show will be at the TBA in March.

I've got some updated pictures on the way to show his confirmation stance.

Here's a video clip of him going on 7 mnths. He's already about 45 lbs. now. Probably will top out around 65 lbs. and conditioned down to the high 50s.

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=236666

BTW: I always thought he had a black nose, but over time it looks like it ended up a really dark blue.

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree with ABK. We do NOT hate blue dogs, we hate the fact that unethical people have jumped on them as "rare" dogs & started breeding them solely for their color & then size alone forgoing any reference to the breed standard.

Blue is a dilution of black. It happens. But to then breed that dog just because of it's color is w-r-o-n-g. Period. And right now, 99.999% of the blue dogs out there were bred solely for their color while working ability was just tossed out the window.

And also, the blue dogs that occurred naturally were actually a very dark blue or dark grey looking. They were not these light coated dogs. The light blues & blue fawns are dogs that have been bred for their coat color for so longer that the color just kept getting diluted.