1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ADBA Dog Show & Weight Pull Morganton, NC April 9th & 10th, 2011

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Deuce, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Re: ADBA Dog Show & Weight Pull Morganton, NC April 9th & 10th, 2011

I am getting news but you know how that goes. Don't want to mention names. What I have been told is 3 or 4 people were taken to the hospital. A couple seemed to be in bad shape. I was also told 2 dogs were killed by the lightning strike. The weather channel made a very brief reference to it saying there were injuries from the storm is all. :(

Hoping everybody makes a full recovery and RIP to the poor dogs that were lost. :(

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Re: ADBA Dog Show & Weight Pull Morganton, NC April 9th & 10th, 2011

Man thats a shame.

3. korn27870

korn27870 Pup

i was there earlier had a great time its a shame something like this has to happen

4. korn27870

korn27870 Pup

5. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

6. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

I was waiting for my turn on second show... Hear a loud crackin lightning and we all made jokes about rubber soled shoes... then not even 20 ft infront of me in the direction i was sitting i see the grass in one spot glow orange and a lady and dog drop stiff, then CRACK. So disturbing. Never ever in my life have I seen something so crazy. I really feel terrible for the dog and I hope the ones injured make it through this 100%.... I did see other people being carried from behind a vehicle and heard about other dogs, I only saw the one lady and one dog. The people injured were moving.

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

On our way home from NC. All I can say is thank the lord. If was very scary. And surreal experience.

My BF was in the ring which was moved from the outside to the covered building because it was sprinkling on and off. They were on the 9-12 males. I was under the building watching and he pointed to the sky behind us and said look how black it is. A loud thunder/lightning hit can everyone jumped. I then moved to the exit of the ring.

It seemed less than minute is when I saw the second one hit not even 20 feet from where we were. I look over and I saw one lady on the ground and the dog down. My BF ran out the ring yelling for me. The Baseball sizes hail started.

Excellent response from the Burke County rescue.

Everyone rallied together and took care of each other. I am proud to be part of this community that no matter what we are there for each other. We may not always get along but in a time of need we are there.

One dog lost her life and 9 people were injured. 7 people were transported to the hospital. All were released by morning. And many were back at the show. Hopefully there is no lasting injuries and they recover quickly.

By the grace of God no human was killed. But a 10 month old pup was. RIP Skyy.

The club took up a donation to have Skyy cremated for the owner.

8. Re: ADBA Dog Show & Weight Pull Morganton, NC April 9th & 10th, 2011

cynthia,
    what's up... glad to see you're home... and thanks for the favor... the pup is great.

i was standing right next to you and i'm sure you'll agree that you get a new appreciation for life after something like this. it was nuts... but the most important thing is that everyone came together to care for eachother first, thn eachother's dogs after...

it was deffntly scarey to see that black cloud approach, and the light getting closer in the distance... the hail sounded like a damn machine gun on the roof of the pavilion... I heard people mentioning God a lot the next morning... and sometimes it takes for something like this to happen for everyone to believe. wild! glad we're all safe. see you at the next one! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  9. scooter

scooter Big Dog

How terrifying! RIP Skyy, speedy recoveries to all handlers.

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Hey Rico! Glad the pup is doing better. I know we were chatting and the next thing bam. The first thunder we both jumped! It happened so fast.

I can not agree more with you. Very crazy.

Also congrats on your placements! Till next time!

11. Deuce

Deuce Big Dog

Wow!! What a show. Thanks to everyone who attended. Especially those who returned to to the show on Sunday!!! That lightning was a terrible experience that I hope to never see again!! RIP to the dog that was loss.

12. Deuce

Deuce Big Dog

Though it turns out they are terrible in a lightning storm!!!

13. Deuce

Deuce Big Dog

215293_757817635626_40501129_39249482_6233473_n.jpg

Here is a picture of the Dog who died.

14. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Glad everyone is ok. RIP Skyy...

15. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

Yah I ended up bringing the canopy and I was set up just 2 or 3 tents away from the incident, facing that direction. It is something I will never forget, I will never forget Sky and how the people came together to help the injured. I have heard many rumors. I saw the woman and Sky standing there in the open and then I saw the grass inbetween them singe orange and then what seemed to be water vapor appear, then they both went stiff sideways as I heard the "CRACK!" I am so thankful to hear the injured are doing well. RIP Sky