1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Aggression!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Yung-One, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

How can I tap into my dogs aggression? I know that most dogs start to get aggressive towards their first year or after their first mating, but my boy doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body. I want to know how to start to get him on the right track. I hope I don't sound like an ass but Where I live there are a lot of other dogs mostly rotts and sheperds and whenever I take him on a walk or run he would be happy just avoiding the other dogs rather than carrying out his daily routine. He's 1yr and 2 mos. old I've never raised a hand to him and he's never been in a fight with another dog. Can anyone tell me why that is?:confused:

2. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“I want to know how to start to get him on the right track.”
    Let him grow up. He is still a puppy!<O:p</O:p

“I hope I don't sound like an ass but Where I live there are a lot of other dogs mostly rotts and sheperds and whenever I take him on a walk or run he would be happy just avoiding the other dogs rather than carrying out his daily routine.”
    Sounds like your PUPPY is smarter than you. You should ALWAYS avoid possible situations like you are describing.

3. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

If he's gonna be agressive, it'll come on his own terms, and some dogs will never really get agressive. We have a male that is extremely laid back, until he gets in the [ ] with a hog. I've been told that GR CH Virgil can run Gam's yard and won't get into it with the other dogs, but obviously, when he gets in the [ ] its another story as well. Don't worry about the agression, just be happy that you are raising a healthy dog...
    BB

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I have a male the same way ..Frankly I wish all my dogs were like that. Especially if you have to walk them down the street. It sets a better image of the breed when they are laid back and under control then one whos going after everything.. you can pass another dog without worring or if another dog comes running up to yours, (since its ok for other breeds to run free lol)
    just let your pup be a pup .

5. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

i wish my dogs would do that. lol

6. swosprey

swosprey Pup

There were and have always been game dogs that are not overtly agressive with all dogs. I have even heard about very game, proven dogs who wouldn't touch a cur or another animal outside of the appropriate place.
    Bull dogs are smart, if this is your pet, your better off not having him turned on. If your hunting
    with him, well, give him some time, some dogs take years.
    I do hope that when your dog is turned on, that you can handle him. It is a lot of work, forget about
    leisurely stroll down the street. Remember what your dog does in public is a reflection on you and
    on the breed. With all the BSL and Pit bull bias you do not want a run in with the law.

good luck!

7. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

when i walk my dog they are calm but soon as they see another dog they start whinning and whimpoering to get to the dog. i just keep walking while the cur tries to sniff my dog and my dog gets even madder. i have a question i have a female bred off redboy/mollybee/bolio and she kills birds that tries to eat her dogs food and places them in her water. everytime i go to change the dogs water she'd have 2 or 3 birds in the water bucket and more around it. is this normal? lol

8. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Damn yall are lucky as hell. I wish my dog would chill when she saw another dog. We've been through all types of training but it doesn't work. We couldn't even do the damn obedience class. lol. Oh well. She is a lot of fun and she is well behaved, but when she sees a dog that stares her back down she goes nuts and is ready to roll. I can't walk her around any other dogs because she'll jump on any dog any size that tries to challenge her. And if you've seen my dog she looks soo sweet and innocent. LOL

9. Mine is the same way, and I like it. They have a bad enough rap for being aggresive. but I understand where you are coming from. I take mine out every other day running on the bike and when a dog is loose he is more happy then cautious.I hope you understand what I am trying to convey. It is funny but lately he is acting differently. When he sees strange people around the house or in the backyard of our neighbors he lets it be known that he knows they are their and makes sure theynotice that, by barking and growling. But it would be good to feel that when you are walking him that if a loose dog come towards you he will protect, since most dogs where I live are strays that live in the desert and are aggressive. I have a question and maybe someone can answer me. If you are walking your dog on a leash and a stray dog comes charging at you and your dog gets a hold of him and kills or seriously hurts the dog, would you become liable for this?

-r

10. I hope you would not be liable if this sort of situation occured.

-R

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  11. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

no you would not be liable that's like you protecting yourself, but since it's a pitbull non apbt owner will see it differently.

12. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Lol..dont get me wrong, if another dog comes into my boys chain space he's all business.. my female is a nut.. my other male will whine and cry ..

But usually if your dog is on a leash it still must be under control in public. If a dog comes running up to you ..then I doubt you'll be held accountable as long as the dog was a threat to you, your dog and it wasnt on its own property .. (meaning if a dog is loose but is on its own property and doesnt come off, your dog cant go after him..)

But you must be careful that your dog is still safe in public..even on a leash and that can be a problem. If your dog is lunging at every dog that goes by it can be viewed as a potential danger.. (and that should go for any dog but ..) if enough people complain about it
    Most areas have leash /fence laws.. bad thing is that the police do little to uphold these unless your dog is a bulldog ...

13. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

that's true and i must agree. lol there was one time a stray came in my yard and he got torn up my my female i heard my dogs going off so i ran outside and i seen one of my bitches slinging i say a 80 or 90 lbs dog around and she but 26 lbs but game out the ass. the stray left with hole in his shoulder ran like a bat out of hell. lol

14. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

Don't get me wrong I don't want him to go crazy every time he sees another dog, I just don't want to feel like I have to protect him everytime something pops up, eventhough I would do anything to make sure he's okay it would be nice to see him come into his own.......!!!

15. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

i understand , it all depends on the area you live in some people love pitbulls and some don't. the people in my area love them, because my dogs bark when somone is near. and the neighbor feel safe noing the dog watch their house. they give me compliments evertime i walk or either run my dogs

16. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I just looked at petersonpitbulls.com and they have huge freakin pits. There was one under the dogs produced page that was 105lbs at 1 1/2. Is that crazy or what?

17. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

lol yea 105lbs woooooooooooah big dogs

18. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

i'd like to see a 26lb gamedog throw around a 90lb cur....seems to be physically impossible

19. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I've never seen it but I'm sure anything is possible.

20. I might be wrong, and if I am correct me. But I would rather have a 50 or 60 lb dog that is in good shape and lean. Then a huge 106lb dog that doesnt have the stamina or the endurance.

-R