1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Allergic reaction? Mia or Whiskey?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by idgie, Jul 21, 2005.

1. idgie

idgie Big Dog

This morning my Idgie has been panting fast and heavy, she is warm to the touch, and her skin is much pinker than normal (you can see it through the white fur). She is also shedding crazily all of a sudden and chewing on herself in various places. She doesn't seem to be in pain but is sort of uncomfortable and drinking a lot of water. I'm wondering if she was stung by something or is having an allergic reaction. Do you all think I should try benadryl? Or should I go ahead and run her up to the vet?

2. she might have got bit by a spider i had to put my bitch down 3 days ago the same thing happend she lost her fur on her leg and one side of her body and it started to pus up give her a bath and some benadril see if that helps if not take her in

3. IMO I would take her to the vet. It could be diff things happing all at once or just one. It sounds like to me your dog just got over heated, and may have mights. A vet could tell you whats going on with your dog. Hope she gets better soon!

4. B

B CH Dog

Have you examined her from head to toe? Any marks, bumps, or indications of a point where she contacted something?

Regards,

B

5. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Vet!......

6. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Your best bet would be take her in…if you’re not wanting to just yet I’d give activated charcoal and a high dose of vitamin C (preferably inject able form)

7. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Vet! Do not give her anything until you at least talk to a vet....medications can sometimes inhibit symptoms the vet needs to see,or may be contraindicated depending on the problem.

8. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

You Can Call The Emergency Vet And They Might Have An Idea Of What's Goin On. And Let You Know If The Dog Needs To Be Brought In Right Then.

9. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

Emergency vets wont tell you anything other than to bring the dog in. I hope idgie is ok.

10. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I'd take her in ASAP. It could be anaphylaxia.

11. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

It's probably best to take her in.I usually try the benadryl first,if that's the symptoms going.I seriously doubt it is Anaphylactic shock,if she has lasted a while.It causes the tissue around the windpipe to inflame and swell to the point of cutting off oxygen passage.So she would have suffocated without promt treatment.she could be having an allergic reaction to almost anything.My sis-in-law called me in hysterics the other night,her 9 week old Bosty was swelling around the eyes and muzzle,and acting almost the same.Come to find out she is allergic to pork.She had gotten a small tidbit earlier in the day and had a vomiting spell,they didnt think much of it,then the daughter gave her a huge piece of rib and the pup chowed down.half an hour later it's eyes was almost swollen shut.the only thing the dog had been exposed to twice was pork.
    As for the spider bite,you will see a wound,and depending on how old it is,the skin and tissue where it has begun sloughing away.I just went through the spider bite thing with Minnie.She had gotten bit on the inside of her tits and she was nursing pups.I didnt notice until I saw one tit not going down with nursing.The bite finally abcessed and I treated the open wound and dead tissue.She is fine and dandy and almost can't tell.She never showed any of those symptoms.

12. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

Just To Be Safe Again Try The Benedryll And If Nothing Betters Go To The Vet

13. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

How is she doing Idgie? Everything ok?

14. idgie

idgie Big Dog

thanks so much everybody. i ended up not taking her in as the symptoms subsided before the vet could see her, and she was a lot better by last night, although still itchy. i never found evidence of a sting or bite, but like whiskey said, it could have been anything.
    it is great to have this network of knowledge and support. thanks :)