1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Allergic reaction

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by PurePit19, Aug 15, 2010.

1. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

This is my friends dog that has had a allergic reaction to some unknown foliage and he was given benydril by the vet. It clears up when she gives him the benydril but it flares up after the med wares off. What is the dosage of benydril for a dog that weighs 46lbs. I personally never had a reaction like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

ive seen that from alleric react from flea's.but hard to tell,could be food.

3. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

For dogs, the benedryl dosage is 1 mg per lb of body weight.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  4. Nikita

Nikita Big Dog

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Flea allergy dermatitis (FAD) is usually on the back at the base of the tail. But I have seen it so bad that it looked like demodex mange.

Contact Allergies is possible. Did they do any tests? Skin Scrape, Tape impression? Allergies is one of the hardest things to deal with.

Benedryl is safe to give 1-2 mg per pound up to 3 times a day. I have 1 that has to have Benedryl twice a day from spring to fall. Has allergies ever since moving to FL.

Picture is a bit dark.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  6. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

i have a dog with wicked bad allergies... he has been on some form of antibiotic now for about 4 months. seems as soon as it looks clear it comes back.

e decide i wanted to change his diet as i was feeding him raw and only Chic and beef products and a few sups. figured it would be much more easy to try the food now being he was being fed so few things. he has now been on California Naturals Lamb n Rice for 2 months and still having the problem so that is not it.

About a month ago we put him on a steroid and it seemed to really help... got to the end of that script and put him right on 50 MG of Benadril twice a day still with the antibiotic. He is gonna come off the antibiotic for the first time in 4 months in like 1 more week and we will see?

I notice something though last week when i gave him his topical flee and heart worm meds. His rash has always been a two part thing... smelly red and irritated around his balls and and it spreads a bit onto his thighs. and then he will also get these little bumps that start on his belly and spread up his sides and then all over him. you can see the bumps from a distance on his coat and when you look at em up close they are little sores sometimes red and irritated and sometimes not with a layer of dry skin or a scab on top that flakes away. so when i gave him the topical flee and heart worm med i noticed in less than 24 hrs the bumps that where gone for a couple to a few weeks had come back. now a week later they are still there but the rash on his balls is all gone.

All i can say is allergies are a bitch, i been spending at least $300 a month at vet for 4-6 months on this. I talk to everyone i can that seems to have had a dog with bad allergies. I think i am gonna take him to a holistic doc in the next week or two. i was talking t oa lady whom also had a dog with bad allergies, she told me she went to see this holistic vet and they where able to fix the dog after struggling with reg vets for years with the problem. Said something as simple as reg vaccines can comp the immune system just enough in some dogs that it sets of allergies they otherwise would not even have. All i can say is good luck as i am in the middle of this also and it sucks! i will let you know how things go with the holistic vet in the next week or two.

7. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

yea its hard to say with allergies.mia had the same thing all over her and i changed the diet with no luck.we started flea combing her 2 a day and it's been gone ever since.doesnt take but a few flea to break them out.

8. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

if you put him outside with it being on his paws make sure your not keeping him outside were aints might be getting him.