1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Alopecia

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JBL, Jun 13, 2014.

1. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Anyone experienced alopecia in theit dogs?

My boy is blue and has alopecia from the top of his head, down his body right the way to the tip of his tail! He only has hair on his legs and feet. Every now and then it'll look like it's growing back a little and then goes again. He's always had it. The vets don't have much of a clue. His skins fine and healthy, just wondered if anyone knew how to encourage the new hairs that do grow to stay?

He's not under any stress and is a happy boy, just needs Sun screen in the summer and a coat in the winter.

I've never met another dog with it. Known a few dogs get a bald patch at the base of their tails and back of their heads, but that's a bit different.

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

You can try nu stock ! I'm sure your feeding a good kibble right ? you also may want to consider a raw diet if your not already doing this.

3. JBL

JBL Big Dog

I've always fed a raw diet of meat and veg, but stopped recently cause without hair when he looks ripped he looks really ripped! Some people can't tell the difference between serratus and ribs and I didn't like the reactions and comments people gave me. I now use dry food along with meat to help keep a little weight on him, which I couldn't do on a BARF diet.

4. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Either way the raw food didn't help with his hairloss, but thanks for the advise. I'll look into nu stock.
    Any advise on good healthy carbs I can use alongside a raw food diet to keep some weight on him. I eat alot of pasta in the off season for bulking, don't know how that would go down with dogs. Rice maybe?

5. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Try more fat

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I can tell you didn't use the search feature because there's a bunch of threads on a proper raw diet. Carbs is not a part of that btw.