1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'Whelping' started by Kasey1987, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kasey1987

Kasey1987 Pup

I think I read in a previous thread that people are considering Blue Pit Bulls as not being real Pit Bulls. Did I miss something somewhere? Or did i completely miss that discussion. Blue is technically a coloration of Pit Bull, not a difference in the breed. I've been breeding Pit Bulls for 12 years and in the past 5 years, have started breeding Blues. But not the "image" blue. Not the dogs that are fat and low, like someone shoved a hog down their throats. Also, I believe you can produce a litter of solid blues one after the other is both parents are blues. However, I do not advise it. I have a UKC female that I bred to a UKC Brindle, and got a variation of colors. I bred that same female 2 years later to a UKC Purple Ribbon Blue Male, and got a litter of Blue pups. I think its all in the genetics and what each parent has to offer. However, I do not support the breeding of pits for color, but rather for breed standard. Remember QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

Kasey

2. BullDog143

BullDog143 Big Dog

Here we go DING DING round 1.

3. Kasey1987

Kasey1987 Pup

Round 1 of what? Im just curious to everyones opinions. How do you get that a blue isnt a Pit Bull? Im not looking to start any arguments. Just a mature adult to adult conversation.

4. LOL well lets just say that most blues aren't (TKO MATCH OVER!):D

5. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

If this can be discussed in a mature fashion without turning ugly ( which I am sure it will ) I would be willing to allow this debate to take place.

Me personally I am not a fan of the blue dogs nor do I support the breeding of them. The overwhelming majority of the people breeding blues do it for nothing more than color and appearance only and have zero regards of maintaining a true working class dog. ( sorry that doesn't fly with me )

If you go back through the history of the breed you will find very few blue dogs that had earned thier rights to be bred, so what makes them so worthy now ? How many real dogmen have incorporated blue dogs into thier respective breeding program ?

At one time a blue APBT was truely a rare thing, sadly those days have passed and now finding someone who doesn't breed blue dogs seems to be the more rare of the two.

6. DOG-LOVER

DOG-LOVER Pup

if you are going to say you dont like people breeding "blues" because of what you dont like about the majority of the breeders? some people breed to make money, some breed to further the breed. why do some of you disagree with that? both people can be good breeders and good dog people? regardless of the "are the 100 lb. blues down south real pits or not" argument. if you breed 2 pure APBT`s that are blue then the puppies are obviously APBT? if you love APBT`s then what does the color of the dog matter? some of the people on this site are way too full of themselves. here in michigan for every 1 good, knowledgable pit owner theres 10 ignorant owners. which one are you?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

the biggest problems i see w/ blue dogs are:
    the horrible allergy/skin conditions/physical problems they are plagued with.
    the complete over breeding of them because they are the labradoodle of the bulldog world.
    the sheer fact that people are breeding them soo far from standard, and turning them into a circus side show.
    people think that the blues are "rare", as stated- they used to be rare, now you can find them in just about every shelter in this country.
    people w/ blue dogs simply think "i have a PR dog, its worth thousands, im gonna breed them and make $$$$" this attitudes transcends from the hood to the woods.
    quite honestly i havent met many blue dogs i would feed....and i personally own one.

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I don't know much on this subject, but attended the show yesterday in NC and was a little shocked to see several blue dogs showing.

9. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Thats why it bothers me....I love the breed in its original form and a true dogman never bred for looks instead they bred for performance. These blue breeders are pimping the breed out for a quick buck all the while making a mockery of the APBT and we are suppose to accept that with open arms ? Sorry I cannot support that no matter how you spin it.

10. Pit Bull Pride

Pit Bull Pride Big Dog

It is unfortunate that the breeding practices of SOME in this day and age of the 'APBT' have GREATLY deviated from the ORIGINAL standard in both conformation AND working ability.

Unfortunatley, the blue color has become a 'fad' of sorts, even though it's just a dilution of black. With the blue coloring comes excess health issues (skin allergies etc.) I'm not talkin out my ass either I've been a Vet Tech AND involved in the bull dogs for about 13 years, and I also own a rescued 'rare blue' that is a damn money pit.

People are crossing breeds into the equation, (wether some want to admit it or not) with the 'rare blue' and 'bigger head the better' falsehoods in mind, therefore destroying the breed. Not to say this doesn't happen with ANY strain of the APBT, but it's predominant in those breeding for the COLOR blue.

Just google 'pit bull kennels' and see how many websites are advertising 'big blues' with 'huge heads' and 'massive chests'.....

The majority are more ENGLISH bulldog-ish than anything, often easty-westy in the front, and smoosh faced. Some pant excessively just from walking outside the house. I believe this is whay alot of people that are true APBT fanciers frown whenever they hear BLUE. In a way, when I hear blue, it almost represents ONE of the downfalls of the breed today (besides the everyday backyard breeding that goes on regardless of course.) These dogs were bred to be working dogs, the ultimare warrior of the canine world.

I will say that I have seen a HAND FULL of APBT's that are blue that are conformationally CORRECT and to the (original) standard, but like I said, only a hand full, and I've been to many many shows and APBT events over the years. But overall, with that being said, I'll stick as close to the original strain of APBT's as I can.

11. WWII

WWII Banned

Simple answer:

It's a generalization. Most blue dogs you see nowadays are cross-bred. Yes, blue is a color of pit bulls, but it will rarely pop up in pure bred.

12. DOG-LOVER

DOG-LOVER Pup

the original posters comment was asking how some people are stating that blues are not considered true APBT. you spun it into a discussion about breed standard and pimping and all that extra stuff. IMO a pure blue APBT, true to the breed standard, bred with another true APBT, whatever color pups that are produced are true APBT`S! you seem to have a problem with blue pits? when you should have a problem with the greedy breeders who are breeding for profit only. heres my question. in your eyes can an APBT who happens to be blue be true to the breed standard and be as perfect in your eyes as your own APBT`S? you said you love the breed in its original form. werent there blues back then?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  13. masta of game

masta of game Banned

the standard is gameness... now it depends how u define gameness.. some weight pull some hunting some dog to dog combat.

why did u choose blue all of a sudden...were they more athletic than ur previous dogs.. did they perfom better

how do u define a real pit bull .

you said: I bred that same female 2 years later to a UKC Purple Ribbon Blue Male, and got a litter of Blue pups.

what was so special about that male.. is it because the dog is purple Ribbon, is this why you bred him to your female.

if you clarify these point maybe only then I and maybe other can understand where you coming from..

you dont even have to answer me, what you do with your dogs is you business..

14. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

My problem is not with the blue dogs rather its with the breeders and the owners of these blue dogs. Breeding and purchasing with nothing but color in mind shows little to no respect at all for the breed and IMHO are one of the problems the breed faces today....too many people not worthy of owning this breed.

Throughout the history of the breed have there been top quality blues ? Yes there were a few ( Colorando Dan & Imp come to mind )....in fact very few, not enough to warrent a solid breeding program off of to the point we are at now. So with that said it would appear that a high percentage of the blues being bred today are the product of an inferior breeding program by inferior breeders who only care about breeding for "rare" colors. ( Not quite my idea of a top quality dog )

So do I view blues as equals ? Not exactly, it would take a really good dog to help me get past the color and the breeding practice that was backing it.

15. depitlady

depitlady Pup

Although I agree with Colbydog, I have seen some beautiful blue dogs... And yes color doesn't make the dog at all.

16. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Being from Michigan myself, you are being way too nice. I'd say there are more like 1,000 ignorant owners for every good one LOL. I don't mind a nice well bred blue dog but most are mutts. Michigan has a huge blue pit bull overpopulation, just look in the Detroit Free Press on any given day.

17. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

It's not just the 99% of blues that WE as game dog fanciers see as not being ApBT's it's ANY dog thats not bred to a HISTORICAL standard.... i don't care if you have ADBA/UKC whatever papers.... if your dog cannot do the jobs that the breed was created for then you do not have a ApBT.. no matter what it looks like. Just my 0.2

So the question becomes... are you more concerned of how Tough you dogs look? or how tough they really are.... i'd rather have the truly tough/hardy/git-r-done dog than the pretty one that only looks like he can git-r-done but really can't....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  18. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

It is possible to have a true APBT that is blue. However, the majority of blue dogs today are Ambullies, not APBTs.

19. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

There are definitly some awesome looking blues out there for example Evisfinks Lux. That dog looks great. blues like that are few and far between.

With that being said I wouldn't expect to get to much love for the blues on this site. It's Game-dog.com...... How many Game bred blue dogs do you see? So when mentioning a blue dog you should just expect some harsh reponses. and while some may look good. thats not what a game bred or anyother APBT is all about. Now find a proforning blue dog and I'm sure it would get the respect it deserves.

Vic

20. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

^^^^^^^^^^