1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Any info?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by ShakaZ, Jun 1, 2010.

1. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Seriously? They are already being crossed, what a let down...

2. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

We just got it yesterday I think naus. Me too mags, if he is a reasonable dude then he will see things my way.... if not there are other directions to go in.

3. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I saw some where, that I cannot recall so don't quote me, that the crosses or full blooded patterdales where being used in wieght pulls. And now there is a minimum wieght restriction due to the fact they were so damn good. nothing under 30 pounds I believe.

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

5. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

Check out the hunting life,great forum for earthdogs

6. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

yes people are crossing them with bulldogs,but the problem is when they get bigger they can't get into holes.keep them pure you wouldn't contaminate our bulldogs with greyhounds for form or wind.when you cross out you lose and end up paying the price in the long run.

7. peppapig

peppapig Banned

aint the crosses called pittypatts or something??...theres a video on youtube of a wee patterdale pulling 2000+lbs.....:eek:

8. dicka

dicka Pup

Re: patterdale terrier

hello evryone my names paul ive been on here quite a bit but have only just become a member i live in the u.k where patts are used mainly as digging dogs ive had a couple in the past but im no expert if your interested theres a website in the u.k that has a dedicated section on patts theres a lot of decent info on it but you have to filter what you read as there are a few dreamers get on there too. im sure if its info on the breed you require then there will certainly be people who can help you find out what you want to know the sites called the hunting life
    atb paul

9. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

preciate that paul.

10. nasher

nasher Big Dog

wasnt the patterdale originally made up of staffordshire bull terrier blood ?

11. zarna

zarna Big Dog

there is supposed to be some staffy blood in there, little fighting staffs,(game dogs) i have spoken to ken gould and he has told me this!

12. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

Ken put staff blood in his line from a bitch called eyeball gran dam to his sparticus dog.all my dog came down from that line.Then when the staff blood was almost bred out we put a staff back in dam was my friend John's bitch called Thorn sire was my dog Black Bill and got some good dogs one called Blake and one called Tug,Tug went to the usa ask Ken about them.

13. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

we use them (in the central usa) on raccoon, groundhog, possum, rat and other varmints.
    they are smart little dogs, I'd say much smarter than the average bulldog.
    the raccoon here can weigh well over 30lb. and are a serious varmint.
    raccoon prey on chickens, spoil hay and grain, and cause damage to equipment and buildings. almost every farm is infested with raccoon so the hunting is welcomed by farmers and landowners.
    we like to use the larger terriers, 20 - 25 pounds is a good size. most of our hunting is done in farm buildings or brushpiles, we rarely have to dig and in the winter time we go to great lengths to make sure the dogs do not get underground because the ground is frozen hard as a rock.

14. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Do you import em ben... because most everybody so far is saying I'd have to look across the pond for a good one.

15. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

The purists who mainly use their dogs for groundwork obviously prefer smaller dogs. But I've heard of these dogs being used more and more frequently for quarry above ground. Like benthere mentioned, if you're going head to head with a raccoon in a barn, I'd rather have a slightly larger 18-20lbs Patterdale than the 13lbs groundhog killing machine the terriermen use for digging. The stafford blood has been used in them for a long time, its not necessarily a new fad. Patterdales were until recently more of a type than a pure breed. Kinda like "bulldogs".

16. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Some individuals can grow up very big.
    I have a 7 month old male who has over 30 lbs.
    Here are some pics: WEB.DE Foto-Alben

17. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I like em, I definately like em.

18. sparksm

sparksm Pup

Patt's are fire balls, I have a Patt/JRT cross and she is the best varmit dog. She's 14 lbs and around 10" at the shoulder, she's got the body of the Patt with the color of the JRT and she is a fireball. She'll dive into anything from a mouse, rat, coon, possum, groundhogs and other dogs if she's fired up, but I have seen that they are not to be trusted with anything prey (as most hunting dogs.) She will kill goats, chickens, rabbits, and try to chase cows so as with any terrier not to be taken lightly. They do bark a lot, VERY vocal so you better not have any close neighbors, lol.

19. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

I have two 13 month old females that want to kill each other, but they are friendly with other dogs.
    Most of them are friendly, ...but don't leave 2 dogs alone.