1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone in America actually digging terriers?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by T.P.C., Oct 11, 2023.

1. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

Not long ago cocker pit type dogs was the craze before that it was booth & Gould before that was Nuttall pit type terriers.

I have dig in the mid west and cold north mostly has to be some of the best digging regularly reaching 8 plus feet. The crosses seem to fit me more with more of the old fell type broken coats then the smooth coat pit bull type nuttall strain these dogs seem to be fight crazy and hard to free cast. So seeing if they can locate good is a real chore. I have seen them walk over holes that other's jave found in right behind them so i have always questioned the locating ability they have. Just my two cents.

Attached Files:

david63 and AGK like this.
  2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

That seems like a hell of a lot of work for what seems like a pretty small reward since most aren't going to eat what they are hunting for ( not even sure what is done with the quarry after caught) and if it's for pest control there's just more efficient ways to go about it than having to dig a hole that size for one pest lol.

Kudos to those that still hunt this way. It fascinates me but not something I'd ever pursue myself. That's a hell of a lot of manual labor. Lol.

Probably one of those things you really have a passion for doing. I'd love to see it someday.

3. T.P.C.

T.P.C. Big Dog

As for being efficient you can wait all day with a rifle and shoot a few if your lucky or your dog can locate go to ground and keep them subdued till you reach them. Not every hole is 10 plus ft deep but i have had my fair share. Most are 5ft you can dig 30 hogs a day and winter time stack up raccoons by the hundreds.

david63 and AGK like this.