1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

APBT owners, give up our rights?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by purplepig, Aug 12, 2007.

1. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I have noticed several folks lately that will not go out of their way to avoid trouble because they have the "right" to be there. The person walking their dog around the apartment complex, the dog parks, etc.

Just wanted to post a thread, and see what you as members of this comunity think.

Do you think it is better for the breed for you to realize that your dog has the potential for issues to arise that other dogs dont, and make adjustments to activities, and maybe even give up your "right" to take the dog certain places, to avoid getting your name in lights, or...

Is it more important for you to live your life how you want to and not really be concerned about what others think and the consequences of your actions.

As you can tell by the way I asked this question, I am one of those who will go out of my way to avoid trouble. When I was 19 I was taking an involutary vacation and a woman was taking care of my dog. She lived in the country and there was no leash law. Well, a stray dog came into her yard and a conflict arose between the two dogs. The neighbor came over and shot my dog.
    I took them to court, had all kinds of witnesses to what had happened and that the dog that was in the fight with mine was a dumpster dog. Well, as soon as the judge heard "Pitbull", he dismissed the case. This was 20 years ago, and I can just imagine what it would be like today to go to court over something like this.
    So, from that lesson, I saw that even when you are right, when it comes to these dogs, the law sees you in the wrong, so I go out of my way to avoid trouble.

What about you?

miakoda likes this.
  2. simms

simms CH Dog

Keeping thing's on the down low here......

3. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I think that it depends on the situation. You have to make an educated decision as to which side of the fence to lean on when facing situations.

For me, I would NEVER bring a pitbull to a dog park. I don't care if the dog has never shown a sign of DA and is 15 years old. You just NEVER know. Your dog may not even be the one to start a fight, but you bet it'll finish it. Why take that chance? I've been to dog parks with my other dogs, and there are so many unruly animals there. The pecking order is all out of wack and there are many trying to establish dominance...while clueless owners chat and don't pay attention. Disaster waiting to happen.

As far as the apartment complex situation...I, personally, would not change my route, and I wouldn't give a crap what anybody thought about me walking my dog down X or Y street. Too damn bad for them. I pay my rent, I pay taxes, and I have just as much right to walk my dog. However, that being said, you better believe my dog is well trained, and listens to my commands as soon as I tell him...I expect that out of any dog, but in public it's more important with these dogs at this time.

Due to Java being well trained (as any dog should be) I do take him everywhere with me. He comes to the office, he goes to petshops, any where he's allowed. Again training is key.

4. Blaizen

Blaizen Big Dog

We travel nation wide with our dogs attending shows. When we stop to walk them, we keep to ourselves and respect others. We have seen many off leash pets on these trips. Folks will say, "don't worry about my dog, he won't hurt yours". :rolleyes: We just a smile, short leash our dogs and move on about our business. You know if one of those off leash pets came to my dog and heaven forbid my dog put a mark on it, we would be the one's in trouble.

With the public's view of our breed these days, our dogs are presumed guilty whether they are or not. :(

PurplePig - your story is a good example.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I'm with you, purple. I will do what I can to avoid trouble. If this means turning and going back in the same direction I came from while walking a dog because there is a couple with 3 loose dogs up ahead, I will do so. It's not worth running the risk of my dog getting into it even if it is the fault of the other person. We all know very well that it won't be perceived that way.

In the meantime, I will continue to speak out through whatever venues I have at my fingertips. I will continue to educate people face to face. I will continue to write letters to the media about BSL and biased, unfactual propoganda. I will continue to bombard the local news stations with positive press and pictures of my son with the dogs.

We need to know when to pick our fights and how to fight them. Rushing into things with a hot head is only going to backfire. Telling people your dog is going to kill their cat or their dog is only going to fuel the already-perceived notion that our dogs are bloodthirsty killers. If you want to educate someone on their loose animal, bring up the fact that the animal could be hit by a car, attacked by other loose animals (cat fights are way more common that dog on cat attacks), or get diseases and become ill. Even kindly remind them of the leash law. But don't attack them.

This is a great thread, purple. :)

EDIT: I want to add that I don't see it as giving up our rights. We have a right to own these dogs, but we also have the responsibility of keeping them safe by any and every means necessary.

What was that Spider Man quote? "With great power comes great responsibility" or something like that. It's a great one for our situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2007
  6. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

c/s. but this issue is more of an issue if tht makes sense for us tht live in the big cities. i walk my dog w.e. i want to as long as its reasonable. i see loose dogs or dogs tied up outside a restaurant i turn and go back or down a different sidestreet. i actually prefer the empiter avenues and the parks since there is less chance for a bad incident. ill be damned if people wikll assume though tht i need to go somewhere else b/c im wlaking a bulldog. im not some 2nd class dog owner. im american with an all american dog and damn proud of it. jno retreat no surrender, but with common sense is how i like to put it.

7. Good thread PP...I have to agree that pitbull owners should avoid sticky situations. Like with anything else you have to know when and where to pick your battles, and walking into a scuffle with an irresponsible dog owner is not one that you want...especially being on the pitbull side of ownership. For example, there is an onry scottie in my neighborhood that people think its funny that his owners let him run loose, but the day my neighbors 9 month old pitbull pup got loose there was mass hysteria. Luckily I was out that morning, and put him in my yard until his owner returned. Granted he shouldn't have been loose for any reason, but there is no issue with that aggressie scottie.

8. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I am with you PP. Its not about paying rent or taxes or training. With this breed we have a greater responsibilty than the average dog owner. And we have to realize what one of us does affects us all. In this day and time we can not afford to be that person in the media saying "He is trained and properly socailized and he has never done this before."

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Depends on just too many things, sometimes its just better to advoid some places like dog parks but some of us have no other chance of walking our dogs w/o take car.

I made a similiar post on pitbullchat,I been walking dogs almost for 10 years with little problems even when everyone and their mom ran pitbull type dogs, nowadays i rarely see those dogs but lots of uncontrolled dogs around when i go there, no leash, dogs with aggressive lenguage loose and the owner missing because they are talkin with their others friends that have offleash dogs too.

I know is taking the risk of my dog getting bit, or me, or me kicking other dog ass,but its that or just walk the dog on street around cars and other people. I choose park.

I live in a city around buildings there is no other place and i have the same rights than everyone else, its just not my fault if some retard has his lab mutt running around and faces my dog, i didnt have problems lately but i been thinkin about getting some anti-raping pepper spray to defend my dog when he grows and i walk him on muzzle because laws say so and he cant defend himself and just in case.

I have more problems with the retards running on bikes around people like crazy than with other dogs or people.

On the positive side, my dog is now used to crowded areas, child, bikes around, even a train lol, i let him sniff other dogs out if they are leashed but with precaution... and of course enjoyys the walks, 1h 3 times a day around nice places, lots of ponds to refresh. Probably im lucky enough to have a place like this 5 min to my house here in Spain...

I used to go to a village and the difference was BIG, my dog had my back yard to be around and play 24/7 but now is walk on park or around streets.

No more options where i live but if i could choose i would not go park or places with people and dogs around, i had some secret place to where i used to let loose my dog Bongo but they built there :<

Some pics for you'all:

[​IMG]
    Friend with his dogs Dina (heavy carver),Aker (hes the dark rednose/chocolate on leash,carver/tonka) and my dog is the red nose one(frisco).

[​IMG]
    Tete enjoys the park on a really hot day.

[​IMG]
    Tete tied to tree to take a pic, i was alone that day so no one could take the pic.

[​IMG]
    My small bro with Tete, thats the park too... tons of people that day around,behind him its hemisferic and right next Palace of Arts here in Valencia on America's Cup big days.

[​IMG]
    Me(left one),Bongo (unpapered pit bull but best dog ever) and my friend Borja, 7 years ago on same park.

Btw, i walk dogs on leash and muzzle always, sometimes late at night i let them loose on places where i can control them.

I plan on doing some movie about Tete and the recovering of Bongo soon and they'll be on this park but on winter when no one is there. Btw, lots of hotties doing footing all day long on that park now on summer :) , walking its like addicting lol.

10. Michele

Michele Guest

If I did own this breed, I would do what I had to do to ensure the safety of my dog. If that means taking different routes, then so be it. I think that's part of the responsibility when owning this breed. If you are that cavalier about it, then maybe you should not have one of these dogs.

JayStreets: You are in manhattan, right? I'm sure it's difficult for you when you walk your dog.

11. Michele

Michele Guest

PirbulBongo: those dogs are beautiful.

12. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

nah hes a good dog and listesn extremely well. the streets and parks i take him walking too arent crowded so it works out great. i do walk other dogs as a job and its pretty easy. i think it becomes difficult to walk a dog when you dont take precuations and go to areas where loose dogs are known to be. just have to be attentive and cautious with any dog you alk and aware of the areas you're walking in and everything is just fine in the big city.

13. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

For example, this guys here runs a 75kg Cane Corso that is impressive and runs loose, the first time he came i pooped on my pants because the day before my dog showed some DA to my friend APBT so i was whispering him " good boy,dont bite" him while the poop was going down my pants, then the owner comes and tells me "Dont worry he wont bite a bird".

I was thinking, "Well idiot i dont care get your dog on leash like i do", but she was hot and i started talkin to her :o and yes, he was just a big boy that couldnt even run but i tried to explain her with nice words that some people might get intimidated by his look and size and cops would make a fortune off her.

Next day i see the same dog on same place being walked offleash by his bf or brother, they deserved a good phone call to cops and be educated on the hard way but im just way too nice :P

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

That is exactly what I was thinking. Some can see the idea of it being wise to avoid trouble, but "when push comes to shove, if that lab comes after my dog, so be it" attitude is what is very troublesome to me.

Mia, that quote from the spiderman movie does fit. It is really easy to be a person who pokes their chest out and goes against the grain, come hell or high water. I was that way for many years. I have found humility to be the real test of strength. It is very easy to slap someone into the middle of next week, but to be strong enough to allow someone to slap you, knowing you could whip them, and not strike back takes real strength.

Maybe this is one of things that should be addressed before someone is allowed to get a bulldog, "Would you humble yourself, and go out of your way to avoid trouble?"

I can see that this mentality of I have the right to be here and if their dog jumps mine it's their fault is not good for our dogs as a whole. I dont like having to be cautious, but I would like it much less if I knew my arrogance caused my bulldogs to be pts.

15. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Also, just having your dog in public eyes, and it going off at some other dog, or someone, even though nothing happens, at this point and time, is almost as bad. Public sees the pitbull acting a fool, and it reinforces that they are dangerous.

16. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Well, maybe its just becase my dog is a pup yet, but this place is plenty of people everywhere, and when my dog plays on grass or has his tennis ball on his mouth he gets attention and smiles from people, some people stop to pet him but hes, sadly, timid and shy so he doesnt really like being petted but he likes to PLAY with you, he does this zig-zag movement and looks at ball like saying, c'mon throw it. Hes always leashed tho. I like to educate people too just by the way i act with him and he replys just with love.

Man i love walking dog on summer, lots of good reasons to talk with nice girls lol, they are like WOW what a cute dog! then i start, Wanna pet him? Hes half cute as you!

Too bad im ugly or i would get lots of girls haha :<

17. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

If you own a Pitbull (or Pitbulls) it is your job to keep your dog out of trouble.

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Well, I can see taking a small puppy out, it is a very big difference than a young dog coming into himself, or a grown dog.

I think we all should put ourselves in Joe Public's shoes, and try and imagine what he has been taught aobut the bulldogs, and then look at what we do with our dogs through his eyes, and his perspective, and ask ourselves the question, "Is what I am doing improve the opinion of APBT's to them, or is it reinforcing the negative BS they have heard?" And we see that we are reinforcing the negativity, we should alter our plans. We really are at a place in time that we need to think of the breed as a whole, instead of being individuals. Heck, that is one reason our country is in the shape it is in, every one is out for theirs, and is not concerned about society as a whole.

It is my heart's desire that my children when grown will be able to have these dogs, and that they will be able to pass them down to their kids. There have been many times in my life that my bulldogs gave me inspiration to deal with this world.

19. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Absolutely. We walk our dog in our neighborhood on a short leash and avoid trouble. We stay out of parks and whatnot- just in case some bozo has their dog offleash. I don't feel it's giving up rights of any sort, either. It's just good ol' fashioned common sense. Technically it's my right to walk by myself in unlit areas downtown at 4 a.m. ...but that doesn't make it a good idea. ;)

20. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

In a perfect world everyones dog would be leashed, unfortunately this is the real world and just does not happen. I agree that WE as APBT owners that it is our responsibility to make sure that accidents do not happen. Even in my own yard I look around to make sure no other animals are present before I let the dogs go out.

I no longer walk my dogs outside of my yard, not worth the hassle. Is it fair to my dogs ? No. There is a leash & Muzzle law in my town. One day walking my dog as a responsible APBT owner my dog was muzzled, we come across a Rotweiller that was off leash. Before the owner knew what happened his dog was gaining speed right towards me and my dog, I did all I could to keep his dog at bay but was not lucky at all. his Rotty chewed the shit out of my dog who was muzzled while the owner just sat there. I'm not going into details as to what I did but I can tell you that i will NEVER walk my dog again with a muzzle on. Being the law and all I just do not walk my dogs in public anymore.

Its not right nor is it fair that we and our dogs live like outcasts but that is the price we all pay for owning such dogs. To me it is an honor to own such a wonderful dog and I am proud to live as an outcast.