1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

b-12

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CRG, May 3, 2004.

1. CRG

CRG Top Dog

what are the benifets and drawbacks of giving b-12 to dogs

2. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

A benefit is it will help increase a sick dogs appetite...

BB

3. CRG

CRG Top Dog

thanks for the info

4. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

It also helps the dog hold it's hydration level and in the case of a dog in good health but a bit on the rangy side it will help add a few pounds over a certain period of time. Best to use an injectible B-complex instead of just B-12. The dog will benefit from this a bit more.

5. BDK

BDK oo7

ive had a lot of luck on b-complex injectables gives the dogs great appetite and also increases energy quite a bit

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2004
  6. Bravo

Bravo Pup

Do not give your dog B Vits before show,It will make them run hot

Bravo

7. I have durvet B-1000 only dosage is for cows 1 to 2 mL per 500 pounds
    Calves,Swine and sheep- 1 to 2 mL
    May be repeated once or twice weekly.
    What is the dosage for dogs? Help Please
    I hate it when I forget things I used to know what the dosage was lol.
    *** edited emails are not allowed in the forums ***
    msn-Wizzard123
    yahoo-Wizzard120002000

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

You are much better off using B-Complex as oppesed to just B-12.
    B-Complex dose is 0.5-2mL's once daily IM, IV or SQ.

9. Getting a reply to a question is like pulling teeth. Hope it gets better

10. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

The benefits of giving a dog B-12 is to boost apetite and red blood cell count. My dog did well with b-12. I just cut the dosage in half, because I noticed that b-12 will make your dog RUN HOT! That is something to be careful with. IMO I would use this on a dog that has appetite problems or on a dog who is acting sluggish and you may want to perk him up a bit. But don't over do it. Just use common sense and use this vitamin in moderation.

If you want your dog to get a decent amount of natural b-vitamins, feed your dog some BEEF HEART. That will work trust me. Its like adding gasoline to fire. Your dog will have energy galore.

11. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

One of the biggest benefits of B-12 is that it is a necessary aid in converting fats and proteins into energy. It is also quite essential in the production of hemoglobin (the substance that carries oxygen in red blood cells). A lack of B-12 in a dog's diet can result in anemia and nerve cell damage. In fact, the 3 guys who discovered B-12, Murphy, Whipple and -I don't recall the name of the third- won a Nobel Prize in medicine back in the 30's for bleeding dogs to make them anemic, then reversing it with B-12 from large amounts of liver.
    Too much B-12 can be toxic, as with most any vitamin, but this vitamin by itself will not usually cause a dog to run hot before a show; a B complex may, however.
    B-12 is best used as part of a general B complex (except immediately before a show), and in conjunction with vitamin C, which helps increase absorption.