1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

barrel houses

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by act284, Oct 11, 2010.

1. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

1/2" plywood on top and sides. 1/2" treated plywood on the bottom. 2"x2" framework. Covered with aluminum coil stock. Corners covered with 1/8" aluminum angle. Built out of scraps left over from a house except for the 1/8" angle. In the pics I hadn't trimmed out the door yet but they get the aluminum angle to so the house dont get ate. Winters aren't usually to bad here in the Bluegrass but I don't want my mutts to get cold. lol

3. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

awesome!:)

thanks eh! nice to have another style house to build, when we do all new ones, i already have a huge roll of that alluminum you used and the barrels and plywood, theses ones i built last year i can hand down to someone with hounds, one thing i ran in to with the legend dog houses i built were they were to short with a lot of straw in them, the dogs were getting bald spots on there mellons(head) from circling when nesting down.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  5. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Make room in your mailbox. I sent you a message but there was no room.

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

me too please!;)

7. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Will do!, Thanx man

8. I gotta tell ya that is one badass house!! Is there any way to get the barrel out for cleaning though? Like can the front or top be removed easily? If not, that is the only thing I would try and engineer into it if/when you build another one. I don't think it has to be something you just lift off. I don't mind removing a few screws, but I would like to be able to get the barrel out every now and then to clean it.

9. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

No there isn't.That's the only bad thing about them. But I took a garden rake and cut a section out and welded it back so that it was narrow enough to fit through the opening. lol Problem solved. Since then I've went to building these. The dogs like them better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. That's similar to what I build. I use the 2 compartment plans on page one of this thread. I've also made the same house but didn't put the compartment in it for when i have puppies. Left the whole thing open inside and I put a flap over the hole to help keep wind and cold out.

Good job man. Your dogs are well taken care of. ;)

11. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

12. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Thats nice 6sN7s. How does it do in the summer?

13. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

Should be great in the summer as well, its isolated. Just wouldn't lay on it in the burning sun, lol.
    I recently bought mine but i know someone who keeps more then 10 on his yard and he's all happy with them.
    I close it only when its cold at night and or freezing at day, like them to have a peek outside.
    I mainly recommend them to kennel dogs cause the system isnt to great for chains.

14. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

15. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Those are nice Limey. Jim Beam Distillery is right down the hill from me. Most of the other major distilleries are within a 30 minute drive. We use to get the oak barrels really cheap but now alot of them are breaking them down and selling them to wineries. A use to be $10 barrel is now $100.

16. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

jup those are the same as on the grizzly doghouses. great for in the kennel and "biteproof"

17. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

I really like those Galv doors those are nice

18. allbiz00

allbiz00 Pup

19. hardluck

hardluck Banned

how about the big wood Cable reel's? i seen some use them before. i myself have never liked them. always thought it let to much wind into them, but have no experience with them. them ones bgblok uses are nice. always thought the plastic barrel inside a doubled walled house was nice even if the the plastic barrel is just wrapped with wood like how his is. it just adds way more insulated heat like that. i have the k9 kondo love it, but would highly recommend the door flaps they sell to anyone. they'd fit any custom doubled walled dog house or plastic barrel or even any liquor barrel house. them door flaps they sell really make the cut out here were i live. it keeps the rain ,snow and wind out the house. the K9 Kondo wouldnt be half of what it is if it werent for them door flaps.

20. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Best bulldog houses I have ever made/used. And I have used just about every type of dog house imaginable.

Doghouse plans_0001.jpg Doghouse plans_0002.jpg Doghouse plans_0003.jpg

Am I the only one with dogs who demolish dog houses?!!! Most of the houses I have seen on this post wouldn't last a week with my dogs.