1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bathed

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by purplepig, Feb 24, 2007.

1. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Lol! Yup! My Legend is very spoiled when it comes to those things Especially now that he's the only dog and doesnt have to share a little attention!

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

twice a month in a wash tub outside.i use oatmeal shampoo.very plain and simple stuff for me.clean the ears,cut the nails as needed.empty the glands.and i give them a good going over daily looking for anything out of the norm.don't brush the teeth because they get fresh raw bones wich keeps the teeth in fine shape.like i said very easy simple things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  3. Phebes

Phebes Guest

They are more into excavating then 4 wheeling and I have the ditches and trenches to prove it. They start with a hole then slowly it becomes a trench.
    Here is a new trench starting now.[​IMG]

4. FLpits

FLpits Big Dog

i wash mine once a month, clean there ears about once a week and clip there nails every month. when i wash them i use oatmeal shampo but every two months i wash them with green palmolive, that kills all fleas and prevents them and i pick up there shit every day(dam shit monster's) lol

5. 6klub

6klub Big Dog

I bathe the pup every two weeks +/- typically on Saturday after work. Outside in an aluminum wash pan. Flea & tick (if he’s been on the job site with me) then puppy shampoo. I clip his nails, clean his ears and brush his teeth. Every other bath he gets his flea treatment and heart worm. Speaking of which, now that he’s about 34lbs I need to get meds for the 30-50 range.

My wife enters the picture and sprays him down with baby power finishing spray. Then we lie on the couch and watch TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  6. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Mine are mostly white so they are bathed when they start looking dingy, every couple of months. They are bathed in the bath tub, I pick them up, toss them in & I attach their collars to a leash that is attached to the soap dish. It is actually easier on my back if I jsut get in the tub with them . I have a removeable shower head that comes in handy too ( it's not as perverted as it sounds, trust me). I use Dr. Bonner peppermint soap on them. It is very low sudsing, easy on the skin, all natural, does not strip the oils from their coat & the smell is wonderful, i.e. no wet doggy smell. I use it too.

http://www.drbronner.com/main.html

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Not too often. Loki gets a bath before shows and when she's starting to smell bad. She's basically a clean dog, so (other than pre-show baths) maybe every few months. Oatmeal shampoo and a bit of human conditioner. Towel-dry. Nail trims and ear cleaning as needed. :) ETA: I keep Loki's nails a bit longer than your average because of the weight pulling. Oh, and teeth scaling when needed.

8. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

OK, What's up with the OATMEAL SHAMPOO?????????????????:o

9. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

LOL! It's good for there skin! I used to use oatmeal shampoo on Tasha and Gemyni.

10. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

HMMMMMM, I will have to give that a try...

11. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

chloe chews off her own nails thank god cuz she acts like im trying to cut off her feet if i go near her with clippers!

12. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Call me what u want, but I have some dogs up to 2 yrs old that may have had a bath 5 times their whole life. I have a litter of 7 9 mth pups and they have only been bathed one time so far. A prospect I got from my buddy is a year or so and I doubt hes ever had a bath in his whole life.

The dogs get creek/river time with no soap. Gives them a good rinse. Then they get dirty again by rolling in some poop or dead animal carcass.

13. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

I think if your dog is primarily outside it wouldn't be as necessary as often as an inside dog as long as you have a good flea and tick preventative. When they are inside they track up the house, deposit dirt and sand on the floor so for me its just a matter of convenience.

My 9 year old lets Big Girl sleep with her only if her feet are washed (My daughter will NOT go to bed without washing her own feet, its almost an obsession)...so I have to say, she has very clean feet even if the rest of her is sometimes not!

14. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

It is not harsh on the skin like Flea and tick shampoo is. Also I have seen it where bathing your dog to often can dry thier skin out. Thats whay I bath mine once a month. To often can cause dry flaky skin.

15. Bailey

Bailey Pup

Mine get cleaned once a week on Sundays with Sentrys Oatmeal Shampoo. I massage it in then shower it off of them while continuing to massage them. I was told bathing them too much dries out the coat but I never had that problem. I've never had to clip their nails.

16. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

oh there ain't nothing wrong with that.espically since they get to swim in creeks and rivers.just keep up on the flea and tick medicine and they will be fine.if i had a lake or river with in close driving distance thats where mine would be as well as would i <LABEL for=rb_iconid_10>[​IMG]</LABEL>

17. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

im with you mine usually get washed only when the stench gets unbearable and evev then i take them to work and have one of the highschool kids do it.Chloe gets washed when she looks yellow.

18. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

yeah, mine only get a bath once or twice a year...but I keep up on the flea and tick prevention...Also, they swim in our stream...and Notch has some cat like tendencies and gives himself tongue baths. lol.

19. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Since mine are predominately indoors and the river they swim in smells, they are bathed twice a month with oatmeal & aloe shampoo. In between baths I rub them down with a waterless-shampoo from ShurePets. I rarely need to clip nails as they are walked often on concrete. I clean ears once a month, and ocassionally brush their teeth if they have bad breath.

20. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

My dog gets a bath every 4-6 weeks or so. Nails are done about every 4-6 weeks also, but usually at a different time than the bath. I can only ever cut off just the tiniest sliver off of the end of them though. Ears are done when needed (if she has the starting of an infection).
    Depending on what shampoo I have around, she usually gets oatmeal. In the summer I will use a eucalyptus based shampoo or a tee tree shampoo (I use a tea tree shampoo often). But most of the time it is an oatmeal shampoo.
    I never brush her teeth, she eats raw so there is never a reason to brush her teeth.
    And she gets sprayed with some mango smelly stuff from time to time.