1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bathed

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by purplepig, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I tie my dogs to a tree and spray my dogs with the water hose on high while pouring soap on them.

jk ;p

2. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Hell, I just take mine down to the car wash!!!

JUST KIDDING!!

3. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Actually I've heard of this to be a helpful idea especially when owning 4 or more dogs. Get a pick up truck and load em all up! They come out squeeky clean!

4. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Mine get a bath every 4-6 weeks. I use a flea and tick shampoo, as well as an oatmeal and tea tree oil shampoo. They are bathed usually in the upstairs bathroom cuz I have the shower sprayer thing up there, lol. They also get their flea treatment after their bath. We clip their nails and clean their ears about every other week, and brush their teeth when we remember to, lol.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Not too often. There is no sense in bathing a yard-dog monthly, if its going to roll in shit and dirt when you bring it back out. The housedogs stay clean, and also arent given baths too awfully often. I'd say average is 3-4 times a year. If they are out playing in something, and come in the house smelling god-awful, they will get bathed.

When its warm out, they all go swimming fairly regularly.

After a bath with their sponge, and general dog-shampoo, all get blow-dried, whether they like it or not (none of em do!). There is no sense in sending a wet dog out, for it to just attract more dirt and junk, rolling around. If they are dry, it wipes off, if they are wet, it sticks, and is more of a problem then just a stinky dog.

I guess I'm a bad dog-owner, so be it.

6. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

i went that once a month routine and then i noticed if i comb and clean him everyday, clean his ears every two weeks, i don't have to rinse him but every 3 months and give him a short bath but every 6 to 8 months. am i a bad owner?

7. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

i agree. the more i own the dog and see what is necessary the less i bathe the dog unless it gets BAD. in my opinion, the dog's coat looks better when it is combed clean than when it is washed clean with soap. dogs don't sweat.

8. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Okay. I know we are all wanting to know what the results are. I'll first tell you my regiment:

I have tried allot of different shampoos, and I now use the iodine shampoo, it's marketed for horses. It kills everything, cleans deeply, and really is amazing, compared to others I have tried. I have an old bathtube on concrete blocks outside, with a water hose, and beside it is a 55 gallon plastic barrel that I have taken Kresso(flea and tick repellant and deodorizer, and it discourages misquitos) and a pan of boiling water and mixed in, then added the extra water needed to fill the barrel 4/5ths full. I scrub the dog and clean it real good, then dunk it in the barrel and will let it soak for about 2 minutes, the whole time taking a small bucket and pour the mixture over the dog. I havent dumped this out in over 3 years, and just add another quart of Kresso each year, it stays pretty clean as I dont dunk a dirty dog in there. I time the bath so that it will be time to put the 'stuff' on the back of their neck, and ivemec, and boosters. I have a concrete pad that was poured with a chain inbedded, 4' X4', that i chain the dog to and let it dry in the sun.
    The only time I stray from this is when I am breeding. I clean both dogs in the iodine shampoo befor they are bred, and when the bitch is ready to whelp, I clean her again. I keep the pups and mama clean till they are weaned.

Now, contrary to popular opinion, it is actually better for the dog to have a boath once or twice a year. Although those of us who do it more frequently are working harder, and love our animals, though it is against our mind set, all the pampering is not better for the dog. In reality we are in a way humanizing our animals. Like it or not. There was a time I did all the stuff to my dogs once a week, but have sense learned better. You may say, "my dog is doing just fine". Maybe so. But just like the man who is feeding junk food to his dog and says the dog is doing fine and will not change, he'll never know what his dog could be like if he went to a good healthy feed.

Love me or hate me. Think about it, and you'll see that this is true, whether we want to admit it or not. go back over the thread and pay attention to what the folks had to say that bath their dogs 1, 2 or 3 times a year. Their coats were very healthy, ect.

9. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to purplepig again.

10. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

HAHA, I know it's better for them to not be bathed too often but my girlfriend makes me do it...They do get really stinky though, being house dogs and rolling in dead animal carcass don't go together too well...LOL

11. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Damn Straight...Mine are in the house and they can't be stinkin the place up!

12. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

The only time my dog gets a bath is when he really needs it, he's pretty much an outdoor dog so i don't have to worry about him getting the house dirty, so pretty much on average he probably gets a bath 2-4 times a year but he also gets to go swimmin in a creek during the summer so thats probably why he gets less baths

13. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

HA HA, I hear ya. I wise man once said, "It is better to dwell on the corner of a roof top, than in the house of a contentious woman", modern translation, "If she aint happy, NOBODY'S happy!!" LOL

14. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

I havent bathed mine yet, cause i just got him a little over a month ago...but he's starting to get some dandruff, i think its time for a bath!

15. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

LMFAO..............

16. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Now thats a trick? You know mine get rinsed off every day LOL well some do sometimes. Yis J

17. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Mine get baths when they need it. I use an Iodine shampoo, and a product called Woner Blue. We have one dog who gets wet everyday. She loves to play in water, and the muddier the better. When this happens, she gets a rinse and goes back on the chain. They get their nails clipped every other week. Even if they don't need it, we go through the routine and get them used to it. I can go out to most of the dogs now and have them raise a paw so I can clip their nails. It makes it extremely convenient. The only time they get frequent baths, is when we have a lot of back-to-back shows.

18. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

I bathe mine about once a month with shampoo in my shower. I squat down at the door and use the hand shower. Then towel dry and turn loose in the house. They only get a bath when they are coming into the house for a little while.

After this one they both got the hose, No shower for them that day...lol[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]