1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Best form of exercise

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by NMWAPBT, Feb 16, 2010.

1. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

what type of exercise have you guys gotten the best kind of results to condition ur dog fast minus a mill b/c as of right now i dont have one

2. luge

luge Big Dog

Definatley spring pole, flirt pole, and swimming. Running up and down steep hills seems to work good for me too.:D

3. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

well at least ive been doing two of those things spring pole and flirt pole and i also do walks i gotta find some hills and a good sized body of water lol

4. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

You have some good running shoes??? If so, find an area of road where you will be relatively undisturbed. Walk your dog at a fast pace then jog then sprint 4 to 600 yards and fall back to a fast paced walk. Then repeat. As your and your dog's stamina increases, increase your distance. I do 6 miles out and 6 miles back. But I started with much less distance and worked my way up to it. Keep an eye on your dog's paws. Don't let them eat anything foreign. Don't let them run through broken glass. Be aware of your surroundings. Give the dog and yourself ample rest. This method of conditioning will show in you as well as your dog. Vary your distances. Do some short days and some long days. In 8 to 10 weeks you will have your dog looking like a new animal and yourself looking like a new human. Give dog ample opportunity to empty out whenever it needs to. Trim dog's nails before you start and keep an eye on those paws and you should be alright.

5. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

nice guess i should have thought of that gotta hit the country roads it looks like and need to stop being lazy :rolleyes:

6. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

You should get you a bike your not gonna be able to build win tryin to run next to your dog they have a quicker page then you do you will get tired before the dog does.

7. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

He may not have the wind his dog does, but exercising with your dog is a great way to keel yourself in shape. No arguing that, the bicycle aswell is another good one.

8. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

im already in pretty good shape lol but i hate to run and as for a bike i cant my dog hates it it and if he sees something he want im toast no more dini :(

9. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

I use a long lead and my dog stays in FRONT. If he slows down to my side it better be to take a dump or a leak. Plus I can sprint pretty damned fast. I used to be quicker but I'm still fast.

10. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

swimming makes a dogs body look nice an it tires them out good

11. popper

popper CH Dog

when i uswt to do cardio this what i woul,d do ... good adive , NUt i dont think nmwapbt needs to do that with his dog as he is already lean enough. good ol sprinting and swimminh with some pull work..... but if i had to choose one it would be some hard sprinting... sprinters have some of the leanest bds in the world

12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i have a friend who raised bull mastiffs. she walkts them in her car. just find a block that isnt very busy. walked ur dog with the least hanging out of the window. that way they can get a good workout and slow humans dont have to slow them done lol. i use a bike myself

13. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

Running with your dog is very very good for both parties involved!

14. wonson3

wonson3 Pup

how would you introduce a dog or pup to a swimming?

15. peppapig

peppapig Banned

free running.....offleash while young(6months-1year)....chasing rabbits/squirrels/any sort of small wild game/pests!!....it builds wind,strength,agility,prey drive......jmho...:)

16. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

swimming is a great way to build endurance, strength and muscle. we get our pups in the water early..6 8 weeks..fill up a kiddie pool and put some of their favorite toys in it..just enough water to go half way up their legs....once they hit about 13 weeks they get taken down to the river and we start lettin em run along the water and chase a ball into the shallow parts it dont take long to have em swimming and of course the older they get the longer they can swim.
    My grown dogs are conditioned primarily by swimming in the summer unless( although we taper it off before a hunt and such to toughen up their pads) and they stay lookin phenominal....they get swam about 1hour or better every day but monday march-oct.

In the cold months we use a long lead/dirt road method mentioned above.

17. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Walk walk walk walk walk some more, Then Flirt and bike youre anus off lol
    To answer youre question IMO, Flirt is the best single exercize but you must walk a dog in order to among other things to get him in proper shape to work hard. I also would not ever use only one form of exercises to shape a dog.

18. apbtk9

apbtk9 Pup

I also vote for swimming and bike ride. Swimming just isnt a reality right now mid winter, so right now we exclusively ride bike. Ive got a ten speed bike and that mofo can keep right up while im going fast as i can almost as long as i can.

19. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

each different excersise is good for different reasons. swimming and walkin are good for endurance/cardio building, flirt pole builds reaction time and muscle and spring pole builds jaw strength and works all muscle groups in a righteous way.
    we also incorporate a weighted vest and draggin a weight sled a few times a week. but my routine will make your dog bulky...if you wanna lean em out, skip the weighted vest and sled.

20. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

You can keep em lean draging chain and doing other resistance work but it should be a small part of a keep every 3-4 workouts and always the day before rest so the dog can rest and build musscle.The flirt also helps with recovery and wind. ;)