1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Birthing Question

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by mac 11, Apr 5, 2012.

1. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Is it common for a bitch not to deliver her whole litter? Has anyone ever gotten a ultrasound on a bitch to see how many pups she is suppose to drop before her due date? Bout to have my 1st litter, and really don't wanna lose the bitch or any pups, but if I had to choose, I'd rather a pup go than the bitch.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Complications happen from time to time. Better safe than sorry and they arnt very expensive.
    I always get an x-ray or ultrasound, every time I have a pregnant bitch. That way, you know how many for sure and if your bitch has 3 pups and she only delivers 2 you know immediatly there's an issue.

X-rays say 5 pups, you know without a doubt you need to see 5 pups and 5 placentas. No guessing involved.

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

AGK is correct. And remember "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Its short money in the end

4. I always get an xray but they are NOT 100%. Pups can be hidden on an xray, but an ultrasound will tell you for sure.

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Whats the ballpark price for xrays n ultrasounds

6. old goat

old goat CH Dog

boogie your right about the xrays . but the ultrasounds the same to . they can be hidden . my vet told me when i ask . to give 1 cc oxitocin 4 hours or up to 24 after the last time she had a pup. and give her another 24 hour after the last shot. the reason why you would give a shot say 18-20 hour is because maybe you was'nt home and she gave birth and you don't know when the last pup was born . and yes they can come early . if there's a puppy in there it's coming out with that shot .

7. OG I also take them in after I think they are done and have an oxytocin shot given. My vet recommended it a long time ago and have done it ever since. It will make sure any pups or afterbirth gets out. Unless of course a pup is stuck, then even the oxytocin won't move it along. You can usually do an exam and see for yourself if there's one stuck. Rubber glove, some lube, and check with your finger. As for the ultrasound they can count heart beats too. Just another way of seeing how many. If there is one dead in there though, obviously this isn't going to be accurate either. In the end none of it is exact, but it's a great idea to do it and at least get a good idea.

LWG my vet charges 60 for an xray.

8. old goat

old goat CH Dog

boobie that's what i do put on the old gloves . i even will check if the bitch looks like she's having a hard time . i've pulling 2 out over the years that were turned side ways blocking the others . they were dead . took it out and the rest were fine . and i've turned a couple and got them 2 come out and they were alive and did fine . but i let they have pups beside my bed . and i wacth them good starting day 58 . you never know when there coming . and i've had 1 going 70 days .

9. old goat

old goat CH Dog

and just ask the vet for 2 cc of oxi . it's usally 10-12 dollars per cc . and they did have it in 10cc bottles for cheap .

10. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Thanks everyone for your info, I think I'm going to get an ultra sound. Man, I can't be stressin over anything else. lol

11. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Last on i got was $50 or so.

That seems pretty high per cc,I bought a 100 ML bottle last week for $10 but it's still worth it if you need it.