1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

...Bob Wallace...

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by ELIAS'PISTOLA, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

...I had the rare privalage to get to know this great dogman over the phone. At that time frame it was 1985-86 and his health was failing to the point that about two years latert he passed away. HIS COURAGE AND HIS WILL TO LIVE WAS ONLY SURPASSED BY THE COURAGE AND GAMENESS OF THE FIGHTING DOGS HE BRED AND RAISED with tender loving care he matched into the best dogmen and dogs of his era. He was gentlemen in every sense of the word, even though at this time he was clinically blind and had only one kidney to the point of his legs opening and draining down on his feet. Also he had to care for his little frail wife, who both being in thier early eighties and becoming senile, the sad facts of aging. But each time I called he answered sounding like at any minute he might die, as soon as I would tell him who it was his voice would change and come alive. He would then with his keen mind and sharp memory answer my many questionsand relate to me many stories of his beloved dogs. I am sure that these memories and dreams plus friend proteges, and at this oint he had several that kept him alive and as happy as he could be. I know that his wife and he are together in heavan at peace. Heres one of the many stories he told me as best as I can remember it, hope you enjoy it.
    ...Bob many years ago had a good little dog matched in Mississippi into the Mississppi Hawk George Saddler, who was somewhat a legend in that part of the country with both his dogs and his ability to condition them. The match had been going for a short time both dogs looking good and biting hard. George from the set of the match had been down on all fours banging on the mat with his hand yelling loudly. Bob in a firm but polite voice asked George to discontinue banging the mat and yelling loudly as he and Mrs.Wallace raised the little dog that was tending to spook it somewhat and he wanted a fair match! George looked up and agreed not to do it anymore and the match went on. Shortly there after, George started doing it agian even harder and louder!
    ...Bob agian in a polite way reminded him that he agreed earlier not to do it anymore, George said something smart to Bob and continued doing it. Bob immediatly told the ref to get the breaking sticks as he was picking up his dog until he could get a firm agreement from George that he would discontinue his banging on the mat and hollering into Bobs dog ear which he was doing purposely. They argued there in the pit a few minutes before George swore up and down he wouldnt do it agian. So the match resumed, not long after George started the same old thing all over agian. Bob swore and told me on top of that when theyreleased the dogs after the break in action that Georges dog got the advantage. Bob was so angry that he told me he cold clocked George and knocked him out to the point they had to bring a substitute handeler into the pit so the match could go on. I asked Bob if if his little dog won and he said very emphitically "HELL NO, he broke of my dogs back legs so I picked him up and asked for a courtesy scratch. He dragged himself across and his backend was completely gone and grabbed Georges dog, where as all the people at pitside rose and gave my little dog a STANDING OVATION. In all my years of matching dogs and there were many, that was the first and last time that hapened."
    ...Bob was one of the best at his time at medically taking care of his dogs after hard matches, often sitting up with them night after night and doing all the necassary things he learned over the years. I think he had lost the little game, gamedog thath under very adverse circumstances had HE GAVE HIS MASTER EVERYTHING HE HAD INCLUDING POSSIBLY THE ONE MOST STRONGEST BASIC INSTINCT HE WAS WHELPED WITH... THE WILL TO LIVE... signed... Gene Thurmond

Sportingdogarchive and tomjones2 like this.
  2. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Meet him I guess mid 60's in Galveston, there was A little get together and BarBque, taking A look at some young stags, and pups! I was working for WA Kelso.

david63 likes this.
  3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

Do you have any of the Kelso roosters ?

4. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Not anymore, my cousin do's, but not pure Kelso's, Maurice bought all my white Kelso's years ago, I have been out of birds so long it was either birds or the other! I went with the other!

david63 likes this.
  5. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I liked that!

6. david63

david63 CH Dog

I may be mistaken but I thought Bob Wallace passed in 78 or 79 or wife Doris.

7. AHK

AHK Pup

Did Bob have children?

8. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

Happy to have stumbled upon this story. Nice read!