1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bones

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by gootza, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gootza

gootza Pup

I've searched about this but haven't found anything really yet..
    Just wondering when i can start giving my pup some bones to chew?
    I know you shouldn't feed them chicken bones..
    My pup is 3 months old now...
    any help would be appreciated :)

2. robert

robert Big Dog

I don't know at what age you can start giving a dog bones, but I started giving some to mine and she got sick. Her intestines were very sore and she sh.... blood for a day or two. It's because she chewed little bits of that she would swallow little by little. I give her cow hide bones now, but with care cause she bites off pieces which can become dangerous if swallowed. That's just my personnal experience.

3. gootza

gootza Pup

aw poor girl thats awful.
    Thanks for your help robert.

4. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Look up for info on BARF diet and you'll find answers for every question. Just be sure to read alot and ask experienced people on this diet before you start giving raw or bones to your dog and NONE of them cook.

With the right info and diet, BARF is one of the most complete ways of feeding out there. I needed a new freezer to keep food for 2 dogs and its a little expensiver than a good dry food, so i just give dry food but i know dogs that are very healthy with BARF.

5. gootza

gootza Pup

That site was really helpful, thanks for the tip.

6. rosco91382

rosco91382 Big Dog

I started when King was 5 months with Raw bones. Knuckles, necks, trachea(sp) etc... I always made sure they were bigger them him so he would not try and swallow whole but supervise your dog at all times. Never had a problem with him but just supervise at all times

7. bugsysiegel

bugsysiegel Banned

Hey raw chicken bones are good! but watch em when their young, my dog almost choked on a large chicken wing when he was still small (he thought he would try not chewing it up just swallowing it longways:))
    mine was 6/7 weeks old when he started on bones you just gotta watch em...
    I think when they are still small meat is what they need most so you can probably skip bones till they are just over a couple of months old....

I think it depends what bones you feed em.
    cut up chicken necks probably the best when dogs are real small...

8. the breeder that i got my american bulldog from started feeding raw chicken quarters at 5 weeks and had no problems. just make sure u supervise just in case something happens. NO COOKED BONES EVER.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009