1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

boyles blood

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by green machine, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

I believe it pretty much boils down to being able to use the gifts genetics gave you.

Sure, a thick boned dog is more durable, but guess what he pretty much NEEDS to be, as he just is not going to be as light on his feet as a thinner boned dog.

A thinner boned dog is more athletic and can either be a larger dog at the same weight, or carry more muscle at the same weight.

Both types can and do win multiple shows. It's something like do you like a George Foreman, plodding in and going for it, or do you like a Floyd Mayweather, avoiding damage while dishing it out.

I prefer the Floyd Mayweather. Whatever the style you prefer, the body type should fit it.

For example, if you like the "in thick of things" just going for it driving bulldog, you want that thicker bone so he CAN take the punishement.

If you're looking for that slick "dancer" avoiding trouble, the thinner boned larger dog has the advantage for this style. He can move faster and he can stay out of reach better than the thicker dog, as he is bigger at the weight.

Gameness is the part of the equation that gets the thinner boned dog to the finish line should his durability get tested...

2. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

gameness won't help you when you are mortally wounded in the first few minutes of a contest.
    the 'real world' wasn't an ADBA conformation show where the light boned skinny dogs take home the trophies.
    a 'show dog' in the old days had to be tough AND light on his feet.
    those of you who got your knowledge from ADBA dog shows, books and the internet will never get what it really took to make a bulldog that could win multiple times over top competition.
    that is the reason i was criticizing the dog in the original post.
    to most of you he looks to be the 'real deal' to me he looks like a shell of what a bulldog should be.
    most of you don't (or more likely cannot) see what i see.

3. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

I've only ever been to like 2 or 3 adba shows, anmd I've never read any of the history books. So please enlighten us as to why all of the dogs posted above were light boned, and achieved greatness?

You have to put your mouth on something to "mortally wound" it, and the taller thinner boned dog, can put his mouth on the hog first, and ride him out.

I've seen dogs as thin boned as can be ride out a one hit killer hog without getting a tusk in them. It's much easier to do so with a thinner bone structure, as your faster. You can also be the stronger dog, less bone can equal more muscle at the same weight. IMO durability is second to athletic ability, you only need the first if you lack some of the second.

It's a matter of opinions and preferences, but to sit here and tell me that they CAN NOT win multiple, is pure balderdash. It may not be your preference, but your statements are NOT fact, just opinion.

4. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

BOC, you will have greater success directing your comments to that brick wall...its a lost cause.

5. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

Ahhh, I'm bored at work today. Maybe banging my head against this brick wall will make the day go faster. :D

6. Congoman

Congoman Big Dog

It all boils down to what you like. I like my animals thick like Andy Capp but they've got to be athletes. Also Chinaman doesn't really look all that small to me. He's just long which is cool with me and I do get a lot of animals built somewhat like him. Others want a really light built animal that is fast. I like my animals really fast too. Thing is when the light animal runs into rough terrain and gets himself in a bad spot gameness will only do so much.

7. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

Got another question...

Let me know how BONE STRUCTURE keeps you from getting MORTALY wounded?

Pretty sure a busted wheel aint a mortal wound, and with any type of MORTAL wound, I don't see where bone structure comes into play. Durable hide, sure that helps, but bone structure?

Thanks

BOC

8. benthere

you're right. you'll never get it.

9. benthere

There are few, and I mean very few dogs that can stay completely out of trouble. In the real world things are not so cut and dry as one dog is athletic and dances and stays out of trouble and another is a short winded driving thick dog. Most dogs are somewhere in the middle, but if you have to lean in one direction or the other it is better to lean to the durability side of things. Bone sturcture is very important because it goes hand in hand with musculature and that is what dictates durability or the lack thereof.

10. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

Thanks for the response, but I do disagree with the part about bone structure going hand and hand with musculature, unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying. The most muscular dogs I've owned were thin boned, they can carry more muscle at the same weight.

I also agree that those dogs that can stay completely out of trouble are few and far between, but when ya got one, you got a world beater. I do know I've never seen a thick boned dog pull that off, the only ones I've seen pull it off WERE thin boned, quick and agile.

I don't believe you are the only one who lives in the "real world" as you put it. "Real world" references to thinner boned dogs who won multiple shows were given, you didn't address them.

You posted a black dog before on a thread similar to this, and I sure wouldn't have called that dog thick and durable. I liked how he was built, I can appreciate durability, but not to the point where those thick bones hinder athletic ability. The original point of the discussion was you saying a dog like the one pictured COULD NOT win multiple shows, and I very much disagree with that. Sure if he had to take a whooping in every show, you're probably noit seeing 5 out of that boy. Yet there were a whole bunch up above with similar bone structure, that sure did win 5...

Now how'd they do that??? It isn't possible according to you...;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  11. benthere

that black dog i posted was a very durable dog with good thick bone. he had a neck like a bull.
    he was NOTHING like the first dog pictured in this thread.

12. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

I like a good strong neck myself, and all I was saying was I REALLY liked that black dog, but he didn't look too thick boned as I recall, but I could be quite wrong.

I'm not arguing that the original dog has perfect conformation, I'm specifically arguing that a dog MUST be thicker boned than he is to win multiple shows...

13. benthere

the photo didn't do him justice. he was ungodly strong.

14. benthere

The problem with this discussion is pictures are deceiving. Jeep, Virgil, Midnight, Homer are in no way a fine boned dogs. Profile shots do not really tell you the thickness of a dogs structure. I am not arguing that a fine boned dog can't win, but rather it is the exception and a serious disadvantage. At this point I think we can agree to disagree.

15. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

Fair enough... Thanks for the convo.

16. green machine

green machine Top Dog

good arguements on both sides, entertaining. but its funny how far off topic this thread has gone, I origionally asked how people felt on how the dog was bred. Not his conformation or bone structure. But I do appreciate everyones feedback.

17. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

bone density has little to do with size. bigger is not always better in this case. bigger bone's = more muscle= bigger dog. more muscle expend more energy you can see where this is going ? to many factors involved to say one is better then others. shit take em how ya get em because they don't come easy.

18. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Not sure about Art or Chinaman but I seen the other ones in person and all with the exception of Virgil were far from thin bone.. Virgil wasn't thin just thin for his weight but he possessed other tools that were equalizers like his intensity and his mouth he was also strong and a hard driver.. You can't tell in the pics but those other hounds had great body structure and were more thick bone.. Also had rough hydes...

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

some of my fav threads have gone off topic! as long as its good convo(which this is) i'm all for it.

20. green machine

green machine Top Dog

me too, its definately been really informative, I have enjoyed the bickering back and forth too lol