1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding dogs of Yesteryear or of the Future ?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by thegentleman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Now I have never bred a dog in the 10 years or so that I have been following these dogs. But I have noticed the tendency in other dogmen to concentrate on dogs from the past like jeep, red boy, jocko, eli - etc etc.

Of course we all have our preferences in what blood we like but I believe every generation forward should be better than what it came from, therefore todays dogs should be better than yesteryears right? I would like to hear all your views on this.

2. WNK

WNK Big Dog

Most of those, who talk alot about their Jeep-/ Mayday-/ Chinaman-/ Red Boy-/ Boyles-/ etc. dogs and how nice they are bred, aren't active. But however they seem to know, what "good dogs" they got, with a "strong" bite (which was tested with a bait toy or something else *lol*).

In fact, nice bred confirmation champions will not sire game dogs with ability, that is in my opinion why the breeders of confirmation dogs needs to appeal to best-quality old school dogs.

But dogs, who proved itsselfs, doesn't need other dogs to refer to. There are alot of dogs outside, who are still living and nevertheless established an own line of dogs, but those were active and not nice-looking confirmation dogs.

3. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Let me tel you one thing to think about for some time, if breeding game dogs of today produces beter dogs then yesterday why do we Line and inbreed on dogs of the past!!!! .......................

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

to magnify those disireable traits and hopefully amplify them 3x in theyre offspring.

just my 2 cents

5. Hey Limey, some time ago you had written something about family breeding that really stuck in my head. You talked about certain traits and looks within a family and how if one is breeding toward one particular dog they should concentrate on the dogs of that family that had the same style and looks...etc.
    I was wondering if you still had that around and if you do would you be kind enough to post it again for us.

*it wasn't your pelican brief it was something else you wrote before.

As far as line breeding and inbreeding I don't think you can "amplify" any traits. All you can hope to do is to make certain traits more consistent and by outcrossing to other families create dogs that have a new blend of traits that work in their favor. I also think that inbreeding is a powerful tool one can use to weed out the faults and lock in the good traits and create prepotent producers.

6. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Gringo pistolero had it perhaps anything to do with reducing geneticel variation!!!!!,
    ore about trowback dogs ..

7. That's the question I am posing. I see many circles running their present day stock based on dogs that lived 25+ years ago.
    The reason I always believed we line and inbreed on past dogs or any dogs for that matter is to give a program direction depending on the particular desired traits. And once those traits are harnessed a newer and improved animal/s could be chosen to take the program forward. Instead of basing a line off that same dogs forefathers that died 25+years ago..

8. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

I think people breed on long dead dogs because it gives them an idea of what to expect. Let's take jeep for example. Long dead, but he produced dogs that could also produce. You can linebreed jeep by using his good descendants (tab, rock, smiley, etc). Another example would be the Eli dogs. Eli came up missing some forty yrs ago, but his blood still runs strong today. Just because someone is basing a line on dead dogs it does not mean they are not making a breeding based upon the two dogs in front of them.

9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

they get better iin time when the two dogs being bred are complimenting one anothers strengths and weaknesses...i like patricks and mims dogs...and if i buy dogs straight from them and breed them they are no longer patricks or mims dogs....as they didnt breed them...i think that is where people make the mistake of breeding a name or a bloodline....or tight this and tight that...it is just too easy to buy well bred dogs, breed them and sell them based on the sweat of another man's brow...25 year old sweat at that...and this is how the papers become more valuable than the dog...i'm breeding two families of dogs that i crossed based on what i have seen from them...mutual characteristics, as well as one trying to strengthen another's weaknesses....if that tightens a line, crosses the line, line breeds or inbreeds, it is all the same to me.....as i am using the successes of of another man's work....and if i work these dogs then that is the utmost showing of repsect...if i run a for sale ad every other day based on his hardwork, time and dedication...well to me, that is very disrespectful...US1

10. Caos

Caos CH Dog

I agree with you Slim I really like it your replays keep with the good work!

11. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

in my opinion it has alot to do with the law as well..internet doggers dont know about modern day Gr. Champions or ROM dogs...and those that should know do..thats why people with no real knowledge of the breed or dogs of today focus on paper instead potential...I like my dogs bred off historic dogs just fine , but if i ever breed im gonna know what im breeding and how it hunts and i couldnt care less if anybody wants anything off my stock...things are different nowadays..back in the day if a dog was performing and destroying everything across the box from it in the fast lane it was talked about and feared and everybody and there momma wanted something off of it..nowadays if a dogs on the hunt its a well kept secret and for good reason..so if it performs and could kill its ancestors whether they be Chinaman,RB,Jocko, Jeep, Homer or Eli himself nobody outside of his owners circle will ever know...thats why i keep my nose clean and dont include myself any illegal activity... the oceans different nowadays and we have to adapt to keep our head above the water..its sink or swim son and im a surviver.

12. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

I like that reply, and also think its true. I'm one to believe there is a formula to breeding these dogs, I've been laughed at, made fun of, criticised and the list goes on, but there is one thing I haven't been, and thats deterred from my goal. Everyone has to start somewhere, whether thats with such and suchs line or with so a so's CH. I just keep in mind where I started and that I have to be honest with myself from that point on.

13. Thanks for all the input so far. The reason I raise this point is because this mindset of focusing breedings around particular dogs that lived 30+ yrs ago directly effects the quality of bulldogs that are being produced today.

For example If I had dogs based heavily on the Frisco/Lee Ling strain of Ch Chinaman dogs then I would not focus on breeding 'Ch Chinaman' dogs anymore but Frisco/Lee Ling dogs. The reason being that these dogs are now far removed and have established themselves and should, or at least I would expect them to be far better then Ch Chinaman was in both performance and producing capability.

After all the reason to breed is to produce better bulldogs and he was bred many times to females of various lines and successfully gained ROM status so I would expect this to run true and there to be indeed dogs out there down from him that are better than he was. Therefore still calling them and breeding them as 'Ch Chinaman' dogs is innacurate and indicates regression, the same applies with all the other lines today...

And also I dont agree with the sayings that so and so a dog 'Was just a freak' and that they 'only come up once in a lifetime if your lucky' to justify breeding a line around it even if it was alive 30+ yrs ago. I believe that good dogs are the result of good breeding and nurturing practices. And I believe a lot of the commercially recognised pit dog greats were yes good dogs in their own rights but with good publicity behind them...

I guess this has all come about with me seeing how folks classify the way their dogs are bred and it bothers me because imo these are details that should be paid attention to in order to produce bulldogs...

14. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Pedigrees&file=printPedigree&dog_id=317478

the last line of this post speaks volumes....the above breeding is one i will make in the near future...it would be easy to advertise them as 1/2 brother/sister breeding off a superbly bred bolio male (kasai, who has produced numerous winners)...or i could advertise the redboy blood top and bottom....especially the medlins outlaw...or..i could give you the real reason...the ozzie male is freaky strong...pound for pound an absolute monster...slick as glass...smart as a tack...although he is a cross he has displayed straight bolio traits...the petey bitch is just as freaky stong...both punch very hard....her shortcoming is the brains department...dumb as a box of rocks...would run head on into a train if asked to do so...no self preservation thoughts whatsoever...but again, dumb as a box of rocks....my goal is for his bolio genes (traits) of the ozzie male to strengthen her weaknesses...time will tell if it works or not...
    if one was a jeep dog with the same traits and the other was a mayday dog, and all was the same...i would breed them based on strengths and weaknesses not lining up names in a pedigree...US1

15. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

1.) people are more familar with old dogs bc of posted stories and such
    2.) you know what ur gettin out of older lines bc just about everything has been tried 100 times with the good ones
    3.) its takes awhile for people find out how well a dog produces and b4 he is considered a great dog he might be 10-15 years old
    4.) people keep their good dogs to themselfs bc they are watching, so maybe you don't know that the neighbors dog in the backyard will be what everyones line is based on 10 or 15 years from now