1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding Older Dogs...

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Dred Lok Kennels, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Lately I've been getting alot of ?'s about how old is to old to breed a female any comments?

2. For me as long as the bitch hasn't been bred to much and is in good shape her age dosen't matter?

3. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

i say top at 5 yr.s

4. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

I disagree...my sweetness bitch is 7. She has only been bred 2 times in her life. .. with my willie dog being the 3rd(that pup is 3 months).My florida bitch is 6 been bred twice ...her half sister is 6 and only been bred once... All are in excellent health, actually all act like a 2 year old..lol.. I think that overall health and how many times the bitch has been bred should play a role in when to retire a brood bitch...

5. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

6. rpk

rpk Big Dog

What matters most is the bitches health and if she is still coming into heat! Some bitches come into heat up until they are 8 yrs old or older; however, some stop coming into heat at age 5 or younger. It just depends on the female. If the bitch has been known to produce healthy pups without any defects and if the vet says she is ok to breed her and you have followed all proper steps like have a list of interested buyers and so forth, and you are ready to do the prenatal care go ahead and breed her. Just my opinion.

7. LONGHORNS

LONGHORNS Big Dog

i think it depends upon the overall health condition of the bitch. I suggest that before breeding any bitch esp. above 5 years old should consult their vet first and a have a check-up.

YIS

8. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

If the dog is being bred every other year then I'd say up until 7 or 8. If it's every year 6 or 7. But it absolutely does depend on the health of the dog so I would schedule an appointment with the vet.