1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

brother sister breeding?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by kanediggity, Jan 5, 2007.

1. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

i was wondering what you guys think of a brother sister breeding. i have this male that is everythign you would want for weight pulling drive adn everything he is for sure worthy of breeding. he is not bred tight at all in fact kind of scattered up i am thinking of contacting the breeder to see if she ever plans on repeating the breeding and was wondering what could be expected with this. i realize you can double up on good and bad traits. but being he is not real tight bred anyhow it would be good to tighten this up. so i guess what woudl you expect you percentages of getting another dog as good hopefully better than what i have would be. thanks.

2. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

to add i would for sure pull the female to see if she measures up to what i want as well. not just getting her for brood stock i thought i would that part in there too.

3. Attila

Attila Guest

Well I reckon it happens every day. Just look at some of the retarded looking families that the husband uncle daddy all look alike and grandma aunt sister does too. Yet what you're talking with on the scatter bred dog is just a roll of the dice. Do you like culling dogs? You will most likely have to cull a bunch of them.

4. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

kind of figured that too but is there a good enough chance to acquire what im looking for to attempt this

5. Attila

Attila Guest

No not really. They are not bred tight enough as you said they are scatterbred. The odds are not good at all that you will get what you desire. You would be better off getting two unrelated dogs with the qualities you like and breeding them than breeding two siblings in attemp to get the same results. Now if you go back in the ped and find the dog that has the qualities you have in mind and line breed then you can have a higher chance of success but you will still have culls. You will have dogs that you have to give dirt naps to. Once you find the common relatives with your desired results then line you can tighten the line. But taking a sibling of a scatter bred dog you still produce a scatter bred litter. Hopeful of on or two to be up to your standard and likely not.

6. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

ok i see what you are saying. when i say scattered bred there is the same dogs in it already, it ahs the same male dog bred to female four times in 4 gens. and then it has the same male bred to another female twice and that ranges from top side and bottom side. with different crosses all through there. but i see what you are saying absolutely. thanks for the help. just seeing what i am giong to do i have plenty of time to figure it out

7. Attila

Attila Guest

can you PM me a ped. It sounds like you have inbreeding going a bit too far in. Not line breeding but inbreeding and hard. That does not sound good. If that is the case for sure don't breed sister brother.

8. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

With brother to sister and not having strong indepth knowledge of the ancestors, you would have to keep the offspring close to you and, of course, cull hard.