1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

BSL Alert - Jackson, MS

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Tiara, May 10, 2006.

1. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4876891&nav=2CSf

Jackson 05/08/06
    Pit-Bull Ordinance Proposed for Jackson
    Pit-Bull Attacks Poodle
    By Roslyn Anderson
    roslyn@wlbt.net

Yvonne McAlpin says she was in the front yard of her Willanell Drive home in south Jackson holding her poodle, Cocoa, when a pit bull crossed the street and began pulling the 18-year-old poodle from her arms.

"He finally got her away from me," McAlpin says. "He started across the yard and got me right down in the ditch down there, and he knocked me down in the ditch, and blood was all over me."

Jackson Animal Control captured the black-and-white male dog. Its owner, who lives across the street, was not home.

"When the owner is contacted, they will be cited for permitting (the dog) to run at large and failure to have it vaccinated," said Animal Control supervisor Paul Perry.

A pit bull ban goes into effect June 1 in Richland. Now Jackson city councilman Kenneth Stokes wants the city of Jackson to consider regulating the dogs.

Stokes says Richland's banned dogs are already showing up in Hinds County and Jackson by purchases or dumping. He says the breed is posing a danger to residents. "As they discard the pit bulls they become wild animals," Stokes said.

"People who have been fighting these pit bulls illegally are using abandoned houses, where they are putting a number of these pit bulls in these homes," Stokes added.

The councilman proposes limiting owners to two pit bulls, requiring that the dogs be registered with the city, requiring the animals be restrained in fenced or gated back yards, and imposing stiff fines for pit-bull attacks and violations.

The pit bull involved in Monday's attack is now in the custody of animal control, where officials say they have several open cases involving the breed.

Current city ordinances require that all animals be confined to their rear property by the owner.

Councilman Stokes says the proposed pit bull ordinance will be discussed during Tuesday's city council meeting. He hopes to have an ordinance on the books by the end of June.