1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

BSL ALERT: State of Florida

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Pitless2208, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Pitless2208

Pitless2208 Big Dog

December 3, 2008

The Florida State Senate may consider lifting the ban on local breed specific laws. An interim report commissioned by the Senate Community Affairs Committee returned with a recommendation that local governments be granted the right under their home rule authority to enact breed specific regulations such as registering, muzzling, neutering, or destroying the dog.

Under the existing Florida Statute Chapter 767.14, local governments are prohibited from declaring a dog as dangerous based solely on its breed. While the committee recommendation does not go so far as to enable breed bans, it would allow restrictions and requirements based on breed.

Click here to read the full Florida Senate Community Affairs Interim Report # 2009-102

NAIA Trust of Florida is opposed to any law that seeks to target, restrict or ban specific breeds. Breed-specific laws (BSL) fail because they do not take into consideration the reality that any dog, regardless of its physical characteristics, must be raised, trained and socialized properly to become a good pet and canine good citizen of any kind because they do not take into consideration the reality that any dog, regardless of its physical characteristics, must be raised, trained and socialized properly to become a good pet and canine good citizen. We believe you should punish the deed, not the breed.

NAIA Trust of Florida recognizes that efforts to reduce dog bites fail because citizens, lawmakers, and humane groups tend to emphasize laws and policies that restrict dog ownership rather than ones that penalize irresponsible dog ownership or reward responsible dog owners. As a result, responsible dog owners can get trapped in the system along with those who are careless or negligent about training or confining their pets, and communities get no relief from problem dogs.

Please take a moment now, using the talking points provided, to write your local State Senator asking him/her to oppose any legislation that discriminates against specific breeds. We also encourage you to send a copy of your message to Florida Senate President Jeff Atwater so that he can witness the strong tide of opposition to this concept coming from people in communities across the state:

Senate President Jeff Atwater
    District Offices:
    824 US Highway 1, #210
    North Palm Beach, FL 33408
    (561) 625-5101

Email: atwater.jeff.web@flsenate.gov

Thank you for standing up for pets and pet owners by TAKING ACTION today!

http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fpid=369&pg=369

2. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

Please anyone in florida please help

3. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

Anyone have past letters they have submitted?

4. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

If they aren't allowed to do this now how did Miami get away with it? Pitbulls are banned there now.

5. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

The Miami-Dade ban was enacted before the prohibition on BSL, so they were grandfathered in.

6. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

you aint messin with Florida. I lived here most my life and I seen the change. Its all about taking care of the rich and the country clubs and the dip shits that move here. WE (About TIME Kennels) Went and protested the anti chain law at the cort house and I am a firm beliver thats why my county did not pass that law. WE proved that the pics were owners fault and poor chain ups. We showed photos of our yard (Proper)set ups and explained not every one could or would kennel dogs. But they have state speakers come in and they say anything. FIGHT IT PEOPLE I WILL MEET YOU THERE.... J

7. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

They tried this shit at the beginning of the year and it didn't work, I'm hoping for the same this time around. Regardless I will still give it my all to stop it. The good part (if there can be a good part) is that it's not just your typical "dangerous breeds" they are focusing on, they also target labs and lab mixes, which is about 70% of Florida since they are the "family dog"...so more people fight it than if it was just APBTs. The key is getting the info out there, you'd be surprised at how many people don't even know what BSL is, even ones that own pit bulls.

I've sent my emails out, I have a list of all the email addresses that my friend gave me if anyone wants to send some out. Also, at our fun show tomorrow there will be letters and petitions to sign if anyone is coming out that way.

There are a few on our side that don't believe in BSL, but we have to work on the others. If it does pass, I'm afraid the one place I want to move back to after I graduate will be very anti-APBT...